Something To Consider - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2003, 01:14 AM   #1
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Something To Consider

I don't usually preach about things, but I thought maybe I could convince some people to donate some time to a good cause.

I'm a member of Big Brothers, Big Sisters. I've been matched with my Little for about a year and a half now. It's affected my life in so many ways, and it really had a chance to sink in today. As some of you know, I was asked by the agency to give a speech at a local museum about the program and my match in particular, which I gave. It was pretty emotional...I hadn't expected it to be that way, but I guess it hit me head on what a big deal this really was.

There are so many kids out there who need matches...mentors...somebody to look up to. The executive director also made a speech, and she said that currently, in our area, there are 110 matches. However, there are 210 unmatched kids on a waiting list. I know that when I was matched with my Little, she had been on the waiting list for two years. That is so sad.

People often tell me it's nice that I do "volunteer work"...but it's not work.

I know a lot of you, and there are so many good people here. I'm encouraging a lot of you to look into it.

http://www.bbbsa.org/

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 12-04-2003, 01:54 AM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:54 PM
I think its a great thing you're doing Kat

Old 12-04-2003, 03:14 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Ooooooh! I've been looking for something like this. I tried this Big Buddy program here in Louisiana...but it wasn't quite what I expected. I mean, I really want to help out and all, but doing file work for the adults at the agency wasn't what I had in mind

It's really nice to hear how much you've touched someone, Bonochick! You seem like such a nice person That speech of yours must've been really special

EDIT: Thanks for the link, too
Old 12-04-2003, 04:32 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:54 PM
I think norn iron would benefit from a scheme like this. Thats great what your doing BC
Old 12-04-2003, 05:15 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:54 PM
You know I've always been impressed with your selfless devotion to this program. I'm glad your lil sis has such a great person to look up to. I wish the rest of the kids could have the same luck.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:05 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Hi Bonochick,

Thanks for bringing this to people's attention. I don't think many people know how easy it is to volunteer and give a few hours a week to be there for someone else. I mentor at an after-school "engineering" club that encourages interest from girls and minorities in the sciences, and although it's a long drive (etc), it's so incredibly rewarding. You never know how you can change a child's life. Although that sounds corny, it is very true.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:03 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:54 PM
i did this in high school... it's a great organization.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:53 PM   #8
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Yeah I tried to do that once but it didnt' work out some how. Another great thing is Habitat for Humanity...I did that in college, its alot of fun and really touches people
Old 12-04-2003, 05:29 PM   #9
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Re: Something To Consider

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
I don't usually preach about things, but I thought maybe I could convince some people to donate some time to a good cause.

I'm a member of Big Brothers, Big Sisters. I've been matched with my Little for about a year and a half now. It's affected my life in so many ways, and it really had a chance to sink in today. As some of you know, I was asked by the agency to give a speech at a local museum about the program and my match in particular, which I gave. It was pretty emotional...I hadn't expected it to be that way, but I guess it hit me head on what a big deal this really was.

There are so many kids out there who need matches...mentors...somebody to look up to. The executive director also made a speech, and she said that currently, in our area, there are 110 matches. However, there are 210 unmatched kids on a waiting list. I know that when I was matched with my Little, she had been on the waiting list for two years. That is so sad.

People often tell me it's nice that I do "volunteer work"...but it's not work.

I know a lot of you, and there are so many good people here. I'm encouraging a lot of you to look into it.

http://www.bbbsa.org/
Oh my gosh! I work at BBBS of Central Texas! I was so surprised and happy to see your post! We have a bit of a different deliemma here at our agency. You know, most states, as well as the nation have a hugh deficit. Well, our program has been cut off from several funding sources for the 2004 fiscal year. We're losing $400,000 in funding! We have put a freeze on hiring, a freeze on pay increases, we just laid off 4 people (first time in the 8 years I've been here), and we stopped matching kids as of October 1st. We don't have any money to support the matches. We currently have 812 matches and 379 on our wait list. I don't know how long they'll be waiting - they could wait until they "age-out" at 15 years old. Anyway, it's ironic that the state is increasing money for juvenile probation but taking ours away when it costs thousands of dollars a year to have a child on probation but just one thousand to match a child with a mentor. Our statistics are proven - we keep kids away from trouble, and juvenile probation! I don't get it? Anyway, our website is www.bbbscentraltx.org if you are interested. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2003, 05:31 PM   #10
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

That is horrible.

Bonochick [at] interference.com