someone should tell green day...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HelloAngel said:
Or someone could explain to them what self-important overexposure overkill means too.

:up:

I knew I got to this thread too late

Wake Me When September ends fair enough - crappy video. But the band is good, actually, I've seen their new video for Jesus Of Suburbia it's different to all of their others, I like it.

"Or someone could explain to them what self-important overexposure overkill means too. " - Come on, that's a bit harsh, until like September last year, they were a failing pop-punk band.
Since Dookie they've been going downhill, they didn't expect this kind of hysteria..... :|

Total U2 Nut said:
Come on, that's a bit harsh, until like September last year, they were a failing pop-punk band. Since Dookie they've been going downhill, they didn't expect this kind of hysteria..... :|

Actually, I don't really consider that to be true. They've always had a huge core base of followers and they are multi-millionaires many times over - so failing is not a word to apply to Green Day by any means before American Idiot.

HelloAngel said:

Actually, I don't really consider that to be true. They've always had a huge core base of followers and they are multi-millionaires many times over - so failing is not a word to apply to Green Day by any means before American Idiot.

Just because they have core followers and are rich doesn't mean they weren't fading:

Dookie - 10x Platinum
Insominac - 2x Platinum
Nimrod - 1 or 2x (not sure)
Warning - Platinum
American Idiot - 4x Platinum and will probably reach 5x within a year

Green Day did an incredible turnaround last year and I am sure they were not expecting to be so huge again. Unlike U2, who consistantly try to be the biggest. Not that I care if U2 strives to be the biggest, I am just tired of the constant hypocrisy from U2 fans whenever other bands get big (Green Day, Coldplay, The Killers, etc.).

Just except that millions love Green Day right now and get on with your lives.

bsp77 said:

Just because they have core followers and are rich doesn't mean they weren't fading:

Dookie - 10x Platinum
Insominac - 2x Platinum
Warning - Platinum

Green Day did an incredible turnaround last year and I am sure they were not expecting to be so huge again. Unlike U2, who consistantly try to be the biggest. Not that I care if U2 strives to be the biggest, I am just tired of the constant hypocrisy from U2 fans whenever other bands get big (Green Day, Coldplay, The Killers, etc.).

Doesn't any album that comes right after a diamond-seller make someone look like they're fading? Think about it - right after Dookie, they were ubiquitous. So, people got sick of them and their comeback album was a modest seller next to it.

So they come out with several albums that weren't orgasmic, but they still sold solidly. Just because they didn't scale Dookie heights doesn't mean they were fading at all. I always considered them to be a major force - and I even worked in a record store during the years their less-selling albums were out, and they were still a top band. Shit, not even Pearl Jam has reached Ten levels since Ten - but should we say they are fading too?

And for the record, since I don't know if you were making a side-comment about me, but I don't have a problem with other bands getting big. I haven't listened to U2 in forever, and I love the Killers. I'm happy for Green Day that American Idiot has become so popular, but the band seems to be just as ubiquitous as the Black Eyed Peas these days, jumping on any opportunity to be in front of a camera, and that unfortunately can detract from the quality of the music on the record if people once again get annoyed and sick of them.

HelloAngel said:

And for the record, since I don't know if you were making a side-comment about me, but I don't have a problem with other bands getting big. I haven't listened to U2 in forever, and I love the Killers. I'm happy for Green Day that American Idiot has become so popular, but the band seems to be just as ubiquitous as the Black Eyed Peas these days, jumping on any opportunity to be in front of a camera, and that unfortunately can detract from the quality of the music on the record if people once again get annoyed and sick of them.

Wasn't directed at you, just the constant badmouthing from the forum in general.

I know you love the Killers. You haven't been too quiet about it. :wink: You actually convinced me to give them a second chance which I am glad I did.

But I think the jump in popularity from Warning to American Idiot was huge - very similar to U2 with Pop to ATYCLB.

And yeah I would say Pearl Jam has faded as well - at least in terms of mainstream popularity. Their decline from Ten to Vitalogy was expected, but Riot Act only went gold. But I still love their albums.

Last edited:
Someone else said it best - they should change the name to "Wake Me Up When This Song is OVER"

bsp77 said:

And yeah I would say Pearl Jam has faded as well - at least in terms of mainstream popularity. Their decline from Ten to Vitalogy was expected, but Riot Act only went gold. But I still love their albums.

And you know what? I'd say No Code was their best album. Right after they lost major spotlight.

I like Green Day. I love American Idiot. And I love the song, Wake Me Up When September Ends. The video is a tad overly dramatic I guess.

bsp77 said:

Dookie - 10x Platinum
Insominac - 2x Platinum
Warning - Platinum

One correction, Warning has not gone platinum yet and is only certified at GOLD in the USA.

Millions love the new album by Green Day, but their concert drawing power is a tiny fraction of what U2 has.

HelloAngel said:

And for the record, since I don't know if you were making a side-comment about me, but I don't have a problem with other bands getting big.

nah, i think bsp77 still harbors some ill feelings toward me for some crap i said in the green day thread when american idiot came out. it's just too bad he couldn't do it in a grammatically correct fashion. i will except nothing. accept, maybe. but not except.

out of curiosity, since i fixed the link, did anyone even watch the street dogs video? because that's kind of what this thread was about. not about how great american idiot is.

The video for Wake Me Up When September Ends makes me want to squash things. :mad: It's one of the many reasons why I don't watch music television.

Am I the only person who actually likes the video for "Wake Me Up When September Ends"?

Ok, I'll go back to being a lurker now. And a Coldplay fan.

Halifax said:
Am I the only person who actually likes the video for "Wake Me Up When September Ends"?

Ok, I'll go back to being a lurker now. And a Coldplay fan.

I kinda like it too. It's not THAT bad I think. Then again, I watched it just once. But I liked the connection with the war scenes. :shrug:

CONFESSION my first ever cassette tape was
Dookie :reject: ...I believe it was in 3rd grade:rockon: I saw them years later at a Warped Tour cocnert..at the time I saw them I thought they put a good show, this was the time around Nimrod I believe. Do I like them now? NO, havent liked them since 4th grade really.

My first cd though was Oasis' Whats the Story Morning Glory
4th/5th grade era

this thread isn't a "do u like green day" thread. :mad:

but since we're on the subject, i think warning is a damn good album, and i fully support listening to pre-dookie green day. hell, dookie is even enjoyable, as are a couple songs off nimrod. everything else can die, and time of your life can burn in hell.

IWasBored said:
this thread isn't a "do u like green day" thread. :mad:

I remember when you lashed out at American Idiot and I called you a republican. And Zoomy came to your support! :lol:

i haaaaaate that video too. when i first saw the video i'd had my television on mute and i thought it was an avril lavigne video because of that girl until i saw the band and then i was wondering if it was some kind of collaboration! :huh:

elevation2u said:
CONFESSION my first ever cassette tape was
Dookie :reject: ...I believe it was in 3rd grade:rockon: I saw them years later at a Warped Tour cocnert..at the time I saw them I thought they put a good show, this was the time around Nimrod I believe. Do I like them now? NO, havent liked them since 4th grade really.

My first cd though was Oasis' Whats the Story Morning Glory
4th/5th grade era

Holy shit I feel old now! :lol:

Zootlesque said:

I was gonna say the same thing. My first cassette was... :hmm: I think Grammy 86! :lol:

Christ! Talk about feeling old -- my first record (yep, vinyl) was Elton John's Greatest Hits. The original one. 1974, I think. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom