someone should tell green day... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2005, 05:52 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:17 AM
someone should tell green day...

...that there's a less melodramatic and more sincere and tasteful way to make the kind of video that they made for "wake me up when september ends".

only thing is, the street dogs did it.
http://www.drt-entertainment.com/vid.../BTTWtake4.mov

Old 10-26-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
War Child

Location: Hellas, and God knows where else you 've got your tape recorders turned on...
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Not Found
The requested URL /videos/st...s/BTTWtake4.mov was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.drt-entertainment.com Port 80

Old 10-26-2005, 06:28 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

fucking hell.

http://www.drt-entertainment.com/vid.../BTTWtake4.mov
Old 10-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Or someone could explain to them what self-important overexposure overkill means too.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
Or someone could explain to them what self-important overexposure overkill means too.

I knew I got to this thread too late
Old 10-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:17 AM
Wake Me When September ends fair enough - crappy video. But the band is good, actually, I've seen their new video for Jesus Of Suburbia it's different to all of their others, I like it.

"Or someone could explain to them what self-important overexposure overkill means too. " - Come on, that's a bit harsh, until like September last year, they were a failing pop-punk band.
Since Dookie they've been going downhill, they didn't expect this kind of hysteria.....
Old 10-26-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Total U2 Nut
Come on, that's a bit harsh, until like September last year, they were a failing pop-punk band. Since Dookie they've been going downhill, they didn't expect this kind of hysteria.....
Actually, I don't really consider that to be true. They've always had a huge core base of followers and they are multi-millionaires many times over - so failing is not a word to apply to Green Day by any means before American Idiot.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Quote:

Actually, I don't really consider that to be true. They've always had a huge core base of followers and they are multi-millionaires many times over - so failing is not a word to apply to Green Day by any means before American Idiot.
Just because they have core followers and are rich doesn't mean they weren't fading:

Dookie - 10x Platinum
Insominac - 2x Platinum
Nimrod - 1 or 2x (not sure)
Warning - Platinum
American Idiot - 4x Platinum and will probably reach 5x within a year

Green Day did an incredible turnaround last year and I am sure they were not expecting to be so huge again. Unlike U2, who consistantly try to be the biggest. Not that I care if U2 strives to be the biggest, I am just tired of the constant hypocrisy from U2 fans whenever other bands get big (Green Day, Coldplay, The Killers, etc.).

Just except that millions love Green Day right now and get on with your lives.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

Just because they have core followers and are rich doesn't mean they weren't fading:

Dookie - 10x Platinum
Insominac - 2x Platinum
Nimrod - 1 or 2x (not sure)
Warning - Platinum
American Idiot - 4x Platinum and will probably reach 5x within a year

Green Day did an incredible turnaround last year and I am sure they were not expecting to be so huge again. Unlike U2, who consistantly try to be the biggest. Not that I care if U2 strives to be the biggest, I am just tired of the constant hypocrisy from U2 fans whenever other bands get big (Green Day, Coldplay, The Killers, etc.).

Just except that millions love Green Day right now and get on with your lives.
Doesn't any album that comes right after a diamond-seller make someone look like they're fading? Think about it - right after Dookie, they were ubiquitous. So, people got sick of them and their comeback album was a modest seller next to it.

So they come out with several albums that weren't orgasmic, but they still sold solidly. Just because they didn't scale Dookie heights doesn't mean they were fading at all. I always considered them to be a major force - and I even worked in a record store during the years their less-selling albums were out, and they were still a top band. Shit, not even Pearl Jam has reached Ten levels since Ten - but should we say they are fading too?

And for the record, since I don't know if you were making a side-comment about me, but I don't have a problem with other bands getting big. I haven't listened to U2 in forever, and I love the Killers. I'm happy for Green Day that American Idiot has become so popular, but the band seems to be just as ubiquitous as the Black Eyed Peas these days, jumping on any opportunity to be in front of a camera, and that unfortunately can detract from the quality of the music on the record if people once again get annoyed and sick of them.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:

And for the record, since I don't know if you were making a side-comment about me, but I don't have a problem with other bands getting big. I haven't listened to U2 in forever, and I love the Killers. I'm happy for Green Day that American Idiot has become so popular, but the band seems to be just as ubiquitous as the Black Eyed Peas these days, jumping on any opportunity to be in front of a camera, and that unfortunately can detract from the quality of the music on the record if people once again get annoyed and sick of them.
Wasn't directed at you, just the constant badmouthing from the forum in general.

I know you love the Killers. You haven't been too quiet about it. You actually convinced me to give them a second chance which I am glad I did.

But I think the jump in popularity from Warning to American Idiot was huge - very similar to U2 with Pop to ATYCLB.

And yeah I would say Pearl Jam has faded as well - at least in terms of mainstream popularity. Their decline from Ten to Vitalogy was expected, but Riot Act only went gold. But I still love their albums.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

someone should tell Green Day to shut the hell up

just kidding

not really
Old 10-26-2005, 07:10 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:17 AM
I like Green Day, but I hate the video for Wake Me When September Ends. I've seen better acting and dialouge in soap operas.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #13
Babyface

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Someone else said it best - they should change the name to "Wake Me Up When This Song is OVER"
Old 10-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

And yeah I would say Pearl Jam has faded as well - at least in terms of mainstream popularity. Their decline from Ten to Vitalogy was expected, but Riot Act only went gold. But I still love their albums.
And you know what? I'd say No Code was their best album. Right after they lost major spotlight.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:17 PM
"There will always be somone here for you"