Some Guinness Facts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
The brewery was bought with a legacy of ?100 by Arthur Guinness, who signed a 9,000-year lease for the brewery site.

Guinness is made with water, hops, yeast and barley. (Rumoured to have a secret ingredient, too).

Guinness isn't black and cream in colour -- the black part is actually "dark ruby"

Water from the River Liffey isn't put into Irish Guinness -- the water used comes from the Wicklow mountains south of Dublin.

The Guinness drunk in North America is brewed at the St. James' Gate Brewery in Dublin, so Americans drink the same Guinness as the Irish.

Guinness is brewed in 51 countries and sold in 150 countries.

10,000,000 drinks of Guinness are drunk each day -- and 1,883,200,200 pints sold each year.

Guinness is made with water, hops, yeast and barley. (Rumoured to have a secret ingredient, too).

the rumor is rats, am i right?

Last edited:
I don't think so.:wink:

Guinness is perhaps the greatest beer on the planet.

i don't think there are actually rats in it, that's just the story i've heard.

I attempted to have my first taste of Guiness on Christmas Eve, but my grandma wrenched the bottle out of my hands before I could take a sip. :shrug:

bammo2 said:
:drool: guinness :drool:

It tastes best in the gravity bar at the top of the guinness storehouse, dublin

:drool: :up:

:yes::yes::yes: :drool:

That was THE best Guinness i've had in my life! I think I got a buzz from just drinking one pint which had NEVER happened before. I think it was cos it's so fresh LOL.

STING2 said:
The brewery was bought with a legacy of ?100 by Arthur Guinness, who signed a 9,000-year lease for the brewery site.

Guinness isn't black and cream in colour -- the black part is actually "dark ruby"

Water from the River Liffey isn't put into Irish Guinness -- the water used comes from the Wicklow mountains south of Dublin.

The Guinness drunk in North America is brewed at the St. James' Gate Brewery in Dublin, so Americans drink the same Guinness as the Irish.

Guinness is brewed in 51 countries and sold in 150 countries.

10,000,000 drinks of Guinness are drunk each day -- and 1,883,200,200 pints sold each year.

You forgot:

Guinness is the best damn beer in the world!:drool:

It's also doesn't travel well. The furthest from the brewery you are consuming your Guiness the worse it gets...not that it's bad, it's just not nearly as good as in Dublin. They're tried many different advances but haven't found it yet.

It also helps to find someone in the States that knows how to serve a correct pint. The way you pour, the way you store, and the way you run the lines from the keg all make a difference in the taste.

I agree with Bonovox supastar as well.

Guiness gets kinda flat on its trip. especially when I go to like Bennigan's and try to get a pint. It tastes watered down.

But if I go to Fado irish pub, it's really good there. And the way it's poured makes a HUGE difference. Some bars don't even wait the correct amount of time between the fills. And then there's nothing but head on there :down: I learned how to pour a pint at Dockers in Dublin. It takes a while but it's definitely worth it :up:

When I used to work in a pub in nottingham the guinness people would come and do anonymous spot checks, checking they way you pour it. If you did it right you got a certificate. If you did it wrong you had your ass kicked.

They would also go into the cellar and check the way it is stored and the temperature

They are very thorough people :up:

My Mum said the best Guinness she has is the bar closest to the train station in Dublin. I don't know which bar that is but still. The only time I liked Guinness was when I drank it from a glass that belonged to a stranger (I thought it was my friends and it was the one he had given to me in my defence), it had blackcurrant in it I think, it was quite sweet.

Yeah I remember they put some kinda cherry stuff in one of my friend's guiness cos she didn't like the taste. She didn't like it with that either so I drank it LOL

In sligo they always put blackcurant in Guinness even if you tell them not too. Well maybe that just happened in the pubs we went to.

It was alright but not as good as plain Guinness. This girl had never had a drink in her life so starting out at Guinness was probably not a good thing for her LOL

This thread deserves a bump.

:love: Guinness :love: I've grown fond of it and can hardly drink any other kind of beer.

If there were a Guinness drinking festival in, say, Boston, I'd fly the 3 thousand miles for it. Heck yeah. :wink:

pub crawler said:
This thread deserves a bump.

:love: Guinness :love: I've grown fond of it and can hardly drink any other kind of beer.

If there were a Guinness drinking festival in, say, Boston, I'd fly the 3 thousand miles for it. Heck yeah. :wink:

Look Ma' there's a stranger in these parts...

Where you been stranger????????? :wave:

Unfortunately there are still several places in the USA where Guinness has yet to catch on. As a result, some places will serve Guinness that is very old. Often your best bet in the USA is to get Guinness in the Can or the NEW bottle with the CO2 balls. Those are almost always fresh and damn good. If a place I know does poorly with Guinness from the tap, I ask for the can or the bottle.

Some other great Irish Stouts are Murphy's and Beamish. Both are brewed in Cork City Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom