Social Distortion Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
appreciate with me.

mike ness fuckin' rules.

plenty of people don't like 'somewhere between heaven and hell'. interestingly enough, that would be my favorite SD album.

now is when i go off and cry in the corner about how they're playing in boston on the 22nd (with the fucking street dogs) and i won't be able to go.

Love them! Also love Mike Ness's solo albums! I've seen them once at a festival about 7 years ago and since then they haven't been in the Netherlands anymore. Hope that it will change this year...

Dutch Partygirl said:
Love them! Also love Mike Ness's solo albums! I've seen them once at a festival about 7 years ago and since then they haven't been in the Netherlands anymore. Hope that it will change this year...

mike ness' solo stuff is the shit. i finally got around to hunting down a copy of 'cheating at solitare' (cos for some reason i didn't like it when it came out, go figure), and it's en route to my house.

Elvis Presley said:
Every punk band owes them, Sick of it All and The Clash a debt, because most of them wish they could be them....

very true.

not even every punk band. he's one of the few people that most punks, skins, psycho and rockabillys all agree kicks ass.

Elvis Presley said:
IWB, have you heard The Explosion? If so, what are your thoughts?

i like them a little bit. i like the older stuff, the more recent album is a little too poppy for my tastes. it's still not bad...i don't know.

I really like them. However, I am just discovering them for the first time. I really like Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll or whatever it's called. This is kind of embarrassing but 7 months ago I was shocked to hear that were such an old band.:reject:

I own "Bad Luck" on cassette single. I must have been in junior high when it came out. :uhoh:

Never heard a Social D song I didn't like. :up:

I saw one of their videos on VH1 Classic's "The Alternative" last night. It was a good song, but I don't remember the name of it. :reject: I think the credits said it was from the Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell album.

'bad luck' is possibly my favorite social d song ever. but like with everyone else, the second i say something is my favorite song, i immediatly think of 10 others that could also be...:shifty:

Bono's shades said:
I saw one of their videos on VH1 Classic's "The Alternative" last night. It was a good song, but I don't remember the name of it. :reject: I think the credits said it was from the Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell album.

hmm. "story of my life" maybe?

:rockon:

Story of my life is such a great tune. probably my favorite of theirs, but bad luck is up there. Also some of my favorites are

i was wrong
ball and chain
under my thumb
Telling Them

i bought my brother the live in orange county DVD for xmas this past year. i need to get a copy of that for myself.

IWB are you seeing them on this leg of their tour when they are in beantown?

"Life goes by so fast, you only want to do what you think is right, close your eyes and its past, story of my life..."

DiGi said:
Story of my life is such a great tune. probably my favorite of theirs

Same here :up:

I haven't seen the Live in OC dvd yet but I bought it for my son for X-mas.

Living in Orange County, its not uncommon to see Mike Ness driving around in some bad-ass classic car...he pulled up next to me at a stop light a few years ago and I've seen him on the freeway a few times. :wink:

I've never seen him there but I know he takes his wife and kids to a sushi place near my house on a regular basis.

Bono's American Wife said:

Same here :up:

I haven't seen the Live in OC dvd yet but I bought it for my son for X-mas.

Living in Orange County, its not uncommon to see Mike Ness driving around in some bad-ass classic car...he pulled up next to me at a stop light a few years ago and I've seen him on the freeway a few times. :wink:

I've never seen him there but I know he takes his wife and kids to a sushi place near my house on a regular basis.

:rockon:

you should definetly watch the dvd, it's rad.

there's a bonus feature with him driving one of his killer cars. could have been more footage of the actual car from the outside (it's mostly him talking, still cool though), but it's pretty funny that he's sitting there with a (i have no idea how to spell it - same kind of dog as the taco bell dog) in his lap talking about how he feeds it scraps of tofu and guacamole.

DiGi said:

IWB are you seeing them on this leg of their tour when they are in beantown?

:sad:

no.

i'm pissed. why does it have to be a fucking weekday (tuesday)???

not only do i miss social d AGAIN, the street dogs are opening and i'd jump on any chance to see them again. and i'd like to see the backyard babies, they're decent.

"ball and chain", now that is a good fucking song. the social d album version or the "honky tonk" mike ness version, both kick ass. i made the mistake once of playing a live version from a bootleg i have of his set at woodstock 99, on the radio once...all was going well until he randomly yells "MOTHERFUCKER!!!!" right near the end. the FCC is going to get me one of these days :shifty:

sorry. that sucks - i missed them last time they were here for the same reason.

that bootleg sounds rather interesting. although i think the way he says MOTHERFUCKER is a riot.

i missed them when they were with tiger army and the explosion (another great bill, goddammit - hey i'm slow...is that why EP brought up the explosion earlier? :der: ), i think i had to work that night.

it is hilarious the way he says 'motherfucker'.

"this one's called 'don't drag me down' muutharfuckarr"

:up:

i'd say "me too" here, but my discman died for good this time. it was on its last legs when my sister gave it to me (she got a new one and didn't want it anymore, and i didn't have one cos i dropped the last one in a puddle and it broke), it sounded like an idling helicoptor when it played. annoying as hell to anyone else around me when i was listening to it. RIP discman.

I rather enjoy what I've heard. Which would be the self-titled album. My English teacher lent it to me my Junior year in high school, along with David Bowie and Talking Heads. He was a fucking cool teacher.

tennispunk said:
Social D are pretty fucking good, but I have a live album (forget what it's callled) and the sound quality is something crappier than ass.

oh, and I'm with IWB--Mike Ness's solo stuff is total bollocks.

:eyebrow:

total bollocks? you mean as in really crappy? cos that's what i understood the expression to mean, and in that case i was misunderstood, i could have sworn i said his solo stuff was great.

finally saw them live (it only took until the 3rd time they came through in what, less than a year?). fuck yeah.

Social D is a great band. I haven't seen them in 9 years! I keep missing them too for some reason. But I'm making an effort to see them this Sat. Hopefully I'll make it. Saw Mike Ness doing the solo thing about 6 years ago and it was a great show.

Back
Top Bottom