So where were the Radiohead Grammies last night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll assume for a moment this is actually a serious question and answer: Amnesiac didn't receive much radio play at all, the videos (despite being creative and original) were not played on MTV or VH1, and the album itself didnt sell in large volumes. It may not have been Album of the Year, but it certainly was worthy of at least being nominated for Best Alternative Album, and Radiohead as a band were certainly worthy of being nominated for best rock performance.

Amnesiac for a Grammy? ... I think since it is like Kid A part two, the academy didn't think they needed to award Radiohead another one? Who knows how their reasoning works. *mutter mutter steely dan mutter*

foray

Radiohead only won 1 award at the Brits for best art work so theres no way theyd be getting any Grammy's this time around.
I'm actually surprised Coldplay did as well as they did.

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
coldplay is highly overated in my opinion.

That's because you heard them after the hype and not before like I did
smile.gif

foray

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I'll assume for a moment this is actually a serious question and answer: Amnesiac didn't receive much radio play at all, the videos (despite being creative and original) were not played on MTV or VH1, and the album itself didnt sell in large volumes. It may not have been Album of the Year, but it certainly was worthy of at least being nominated for Best Alternative Album, and Radiohead as a band were certainly worthy of being nominated for best rock performance.

yes of course I was serious. I didn't post this facetiously. I really do wonder why it is that Radiohead continues to be overlooked. Granted, I'm not a huge fan the way I am with U2, but I really appreciate what Radiohead does artistically, and I don't understand how they can be passed over for recognition.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I'm not a huge fan the way I am with U2, but I really appreciate what Radiohead does artistically, and I don't understand how they can be passed over for recognition.

I think u need only look as far as the band that won the best alternative album- coldplay, to see that radiohead are too 'out there' for the academy. Coldplay are a good band but their music is mainstream and radiofriendly in the extreme...

[This message has been edited by brettig (edited 03-05-2002).]

The Grammies get worse every year. I don''t understand why someone on the forum said that the Grammies are starting to support indie acts and recognise good music instead of pandering to record companies. It doesn't make sense to me, from what I've observed.

foray

all you need to know really is that when OK Computer was nominated for Best Album in 1998, the Grammy organizers refused to let Radiohead perform live on the show

Yes i can imagine Academy members thinking 'no surprises, beautiful brit sounding...oh hang on hes not singing about an english tea party!!'
eek.gif

[This message has been edited by brettig (edited 03-09-2002).]

yes, well the esteemed Academy once annointed U2 with "Best Alternative Album"

if Coldplay is "alternative" it may be time for an "ultra-alternative" category, or "music that is 'out there' that we admit we have never actually listened to but we hear from our sources that it's innovative and original so maybe we should recognize it" category (oh I could see Thom gleefully accepting that award)

all you need to know really is that when OK Computer was nominated for Best Album in 1998, the Grammy organizers refused to let Radiohead perform live on the show

--------
stop sending letters, letters always get burned

I actually thought that Radiohead would be a shoo-in in the Alternative category: they're a well-known, artistically "hot", respected band, and I thought that Amnesiac was way more accessible than Kid A which has won that Grammy last year.

Radiohead did lose some critical aclaim due to Amnesiac (it seems that the critics didn't think of the album as a progression, while 'progression' does seem to be what Radiohead is aiming for)

but critics tend to suck anyway

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

yes, well the esteemed Academy once annointed U2 with "Best Alternative Album"

if Coldplay is "alternative" it may be time for an "ultra-alternative" category, or "music that is 'out there' that we admit we have never actually listened to but we hear from our sources that it's innovative and original so maybe we should recognize it" category (oh I could see Thom gleefully accepting that award)

--------
stop sending letters, letters always get burned
[/QUOTE

too bad. I didn't even get to see that show, anyway.

[This message has been edited by DebbieSG (edited 03-18-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom