So what's the Deal with Prince Charles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon Meringue

Rock n' Roll Doggie
From Rumor To Royal Crisis
LONDON, Nov. 11, 2003

Prince Charles was so concerned about recent rumors of a sex scandal involving him that he called a meeting in his country home with his sons and Camilla Parker-Bowles to help find a way to put an end to the rumors, CBS News Correspondent Richard Roth reports.

In public, however, there is not much to read on the face of the head that will wear the crown.

The man at the center of what?s certainly been one of his family?s wackier brawls with the British press, Prince Charles, hasn?t said very much. Then again, neither has the British press.

Victoria Mather, social columnist for the "Sunday Telegraph" says, "I think the Prince of Wales - he?s carrying on with his work. I think that in fact, he has gotten sympathy. If you look at the polls, most people do not believe what they?re reading nor are they particularly interested."

The story is that a former royal aide may have seen the prince in a compromising position but no specific allegations have been published. Libel law and the courts won?t allow it. What circulated is essentially a rumor about a rumor. It gained currency when the palace, without saying what it was, said it wasn?t true.

Whole forests, it seems, have been sacrificed by newspapers printing long and lurid accounts of, well, not much, actually. There?s been the reported assurance from one former palace aide that Prince Charles is not bi-sexual and the revelation from another that the heir to the throne does not have breakfast in bed. Mostly, the press has been straining under a law that keeps it from saying much; it's been saying a lot about not much.

Here is an example of headlines read on Sunday's "BBC Breakfast with Frost":

* Prince Charles Set To Sue Palace Aide Over Scandal (Tuesday, The Sunday Telegraph).
* Royals In Turmoil As Humiliating Allegations Spread Around The World (Sunday, The Independent).
* William Fears Plot To Ruin His Father (The Sunday Times).

Some opinion here is that Charles brought this on himself by authorizing his spokesman last week to vehemently deny an allegation that no one had actually made in public.

?It is totally untrue and without a shred of substance,? said his spokesman, Sir Michael Peat.

According to one public relations expert, the prince's denial turned a vague unpublished rumor into a right royal crisis.

He explained, ?Now, after the statement, the whole country knows that the allegations concern Prince Charles and the whole country wants to know what?s going on, what it was all about. So you?ve taken the situation, which was a problem, and you?ve turned it into a crisis.?

And, yes, the British do appreciate that it?s a bit bizarre.

It could be that Tuesday, Nov. 11, is a tipping point. There is a new tone in two of Britain?s biggest papers, which seem to have run out of new rumors to publish and perhaps are tired of recycling old ones.

'Leave Him Alone,' is how one paper puts it. 'It?s Time To Let It All Drop' is another.

Not very likely.

? MMIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

:crack: This has been going on nearly 2 weeks now

Rumours he has gay tendencies and the like who knows :shrug:

Why didn't he just marry damn Camilla in the first place? Poor Diana was always too young and pretty for him and they never got along. Her life was wasted being sad and then dying young. His and Camilla's youths were wasted not being able to marry, have kids and have love. I'm sorry but now I don't think he deserves happiness after the way he treated Diana. When the Queen passes away I think William should be king.

Okay I know why he didn't marry her, the was the heir to the throne and she wasn't royal enough, but if they're considering letting them marry now, they should have then and it sure would have saved everyone a lot of grief.

This story is bizarre.

I can't imagine Charles having gay tendencies--wasn't he always quite the ladies man before he married Diana? "Charlies Blondes" and all that? :shrug:

This is insane. Are they just doing this to sell newspapers? What's the big deal with this particular royal scandal, or non-scandal as the case may be? Silly royals? Silly press? Perhaps both?

"Desperate efforts by Prince Charles's personal staff to quash rumours of a sexual incident involving the future king failed yesterday, buried under a tidal wave of media reports in Europe and on foreign-language websites.

Though still not officially confirmed, the rumours surround a purported sexual contact between Prince Charles and Michael Fawcett, one of his closest advisers.

While British papers were last night fighting a court battle to publish the names of those involved, readers in other parts of the world could find out on the web what Britain is still waiting to read.

According to one report on The New York Times wire service, the allegations come from a tape found in a mahogany box owned by the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

George Smith, a former royal servant who suffered from alcoholism and post-traumatic stress syndrome after fighting in the Falklands War, said on the tape he had been raped by another male royal aide. But far more explosively, he also claimed to have witnessed a compromising homosexual encounter between a senior royal aide and a member of the royal family. "

Its already a scandal here well the newspapers are going on about it - does anyone else care?? :der:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
argh can they just get rid of the royal family already? it's not like they have any power... what's the bloody point?

Aw come on, then what would they spend all Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney's taxes on? ;)

You know, I have always had a thing for royalty. I am so interested in the deposed houses of Romanov, Hohenzollern and Hapsburg that at times my fanaticism has rivaled even my U2 craziness! I used to hang QEII's pic on my wall. I saw her but didn't meet her when I was a kid when she came here for the Bicentennial. I always followed the royal family with interest and concern.

But now, I hate to say, they have become so much like American white trash in some ways they really don't seem worth the money they cost anymore and I wonder if any Brits here agree? :reject: Don't get me wrong, I don't want a revolution or any harm to come from them, just park them out on one of their many estates and let them stay quietly there to do what they will. I've heard that, as small as England is in size, they have estates of over 10,000 acres that nobody has even been to in years! Couldn't they do with 100 surrounding the house and sell the rest to private owners? Okay, I'll shut up. The US has enough shit of its own, I know:sigh:

Back
Top Bottom