So, what's everyone reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
I don't really have time to read anymore, but I have managed to do some reading since the school year started, and it's almost time for another trip to Barnes and Noble, but I don't have many books on my list.

I have recently read Mystic River, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy(again), Poisonwood Bible, and am currently reading Prozac Nation, which is depressing me.

My list so far is: THe Lovely Bones, The Belljar,The Da Vinci Code, and I'm going to look for something by David Foster Wallace. Any comments or criticisms about these books? Or does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

(copied and pasted)
I'm currently stuck reading books for various essays, book reviews, and presentations now, unfortunately:

Acid Dreams: The CIA, LSD, and the Sixties Rebellion by Martin Lee and Bruch Shlain
Montaillou by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie
Rules of Desire: Sex in Britain: WWI to the Present by Cate Haste
An Analysis of the Kinsey Reports on Human Sexual Behaviour in the Male and Female

....and others

Then have to read The Hitler Diaries: Fakes That Fooled the World by SomeonewhosefirstnameIforgot Hamilton then some books on the Civil Rights Movement, then books on counterfactual history, THEN I can finally read:

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGreggor
and
At the Crossing Places by Kevin Crossley-Holland

-biko.jpg

Biko-Donald Woods

I just stop by the libray and pick up whatever looks good. I got Pride and Prejudice this time. I have never read it and I hope to get to it around Thanksgiving.

I am really entertained by Regency themed books. Is that wrong? They're not smut or anything I just really like 19th c GB. I guess I am the "unintellectual" one hear. :D :wink: :eek:

Textbooks. :|

I'm currently making my way through a pile of WWI books...and not very quickly, either.

<--- sucks at studying this month.

Splitting time on:

'Debt of Honor' by Tom Clancy
&
'The Best of H.P. Lovecraft' by.......H.P. Lovecraft...

"The Last of The Templars" William Watson

I read a book recently that made me :lmao: "Mrs Lynetton's Country Life" by Mavis Cheek..I enjoy a good chuckle
+
magazines- Tsunami, Rave, Uncut, Country Life, Gardening Australia....whatever i can get my hands on.

I'll check out your links later 91289. 'Prozac Nation"? is depressing? Two people my hub works with have gone onto prozac recently and it's messing them around it seems. I don't know much about it, sounds scary.

I just finished 1979 by Rhona Cameron. I'm reading Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters, for some fun reading, and for more serious reading I've finally got round to getting a copy of Globalization and its Discontents by Joseph Stiglitz. Also on my reading list are Fences and Windows by Naomi Klein and Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder.

(edited 'cause of my uselessness with the italics tags, lol.)

Last edited:
oooh fizzy, tipping the velvet. nice choice. i've looked at that one. how is it?

U2girl91289, you asked about the lovely bones. now it's not my usual type of book, but i did read it and i loved it. i couldn't put it down. it was beautiful and haunting, although parts of the ending disappointed me.

the bell jar is, of course, on my list of top five books of all time. it's one that i own and read again every other year or so. it's incredible work. poor mrs. plath.

right now i am reading a book that was given to me as a birthday gift from the loveliest of interferencers. it's a collection of writings by lester bangs. what an awesome gift, thank you again.

and again, i want to recommend cruddy by linda barry. and i will continue to recommend it in every book thread until someone reads it. thank you.

I just finished Lovely Bones - it was a lot better than I expected based on the blurb on the back. BG84 - I agree - parts of the ending were a little disappointing, and I didn't get a few of the resolutions I was expecting, but it's a beautiful book. Gets a big :up: :up: from me.

I'm now planning on reading Wuthering Heights and Dracula again. Oh, and To Kill a Mockingbird. All big favourites of mine and due for a re-read.

At the moment I'm reading Marketing text books ready for my exams in a couple of weeks :down: :mad:

I think I'm the only person I know so far who didn't enjoy The Lovely Bones. I think the author is a fantastic writer, but by about half way through I felt like reading the book was a chore and I just wanted to get it finished so I'd find out the ending. :( Probably says more about me than the book though. :laugh:

I've only just started reading Tipping the Velvet but I'm enjoying it so far, and quite a few of my friends have said they've loved it, so I'm hoping it's going to be a good read. :)

Before I met Mrs. BAW, during those tranquil years of separation and divorce from the first wife, I read EVERY Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy novel available...now, it seems that I have a stack of books just waiting and wanting to be read dating back to Patriot Games.....just no time or dedication....me bad! :(

Wuthering Heights :up:

Currently reading Pride & Prejudice - too many essays to do so little time - am only starting research for my french essay (due in tomorrow) now!!!!! *gulp*

I just finished Blood Canticle - Anne Rice yesterday :madspit: not good.

I'm re-reading The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe for a chool thingy at the mo :)

Read Tipping the Velvet and liked it...
In the middle of Cold Mountain--it's not the fastest book, and I tend to read quickly, so I've had to slow myself down a bit for it so that I don't freight-train right through it.
I buy lots of books that just sit on the shelves and then I go to the library and get 6 or 7 at a time...and then only read 1 or 2...so I decided to not get any library books for a while and work on the books I own. So next up is Donna Tartt's The Little Friend. Has anyone read it?

I've just finished reading Big Fat Love by Peter Sheridan. That man is a brilliant writer. His previous books 44 and 47 roses are excellent as well.

And now I'm about to start reading Stupid White Men by Michael Moore

Mrs.Clayton said:
I'm reading 1916 which is a fictionalized account of the Irish rebellion.
:up:
Very good book...

I bought an autograph copy of that when I was in Northen Ireland a few years ago. Have you read anything else by her? I have one or two of her other books (in storage in the US now so I can't remember whether it's one or two!), but haven't read them.

Back
Top Bottom