So what do you do during a "U2 downtime"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
You all know what a “U2 downtime” is: no new albums to obsess over, no new songs to play over and over again, no tour or concerts to get excited about, no new bootlegs…in other words, those periods in between albums/tours/single releases where there is literally no U2 activity (except maybe Bono acting chummy with another world leader).

So during a U2 downtime, do you still continue your obsession with U2, or do you deviate from your U2 obsession for a bit and listen to other music until the U2 machine kick starts again with another album/tour?

I’m more or less in the former category. I remember really getting into Coldplay before Atomic Bomb was released…

I listen to a lot of Daft Punk, Polysics, Radiohead, Average White Band during 'downtime' but a lot of the time it's mostly that and U2 at the same time. Last downtime was unfortunately when the bomb came out!!! :| meaning I didn't get the same feeling everyone else did save one or two songs.

I'm a good U2 fan but listen to many different genres of music......U2 is not my life.....to me music is universal and all music deserves to be heard....and it's a good thing in my opinion.......music is an expression and everyone expresses themselves differently.

When there is no room for creation of differences........then we become robots of a society.....where censorship rules........

Don't get me wrong I adore U2 but there is room in my heart for the rest of the world.

:|

In U2 downtimes, I still listen to U2. Probably not as much when there is new material out (when HTDAAB leaked I think I probably listened to LAPOE and Miracle Drug 50 times in a row) but I still listen to them. I listen to other bands too, like Radiohead... I'm also a fan of classical music, so I'll give my classical CDs a spin as well.

U2's always the dominant band, though. One look at my Audioscrobbler account will tell you that, hehe.

When a "U2 downtime" hits I'm usually listening a lot to Metallica, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC and other bands. So I'm in god company. :D But once a new cd is out or the tour is happening I'm all about U2, right now U2 is prtty much 80% of what I listen. But i started this year listening to a lot more Rolling Stones than U2. Things changed once the tour started though.

Lara Mullen said:
I haven't put a U2 cd on since November. :huh:

Same here. I guess on some level I feel guilty about it but with the sheer AMOUNT of music out there it's hard to restrict yourself to just one band.

Mullen4Prez said:

You disgust me! and you call yourself a fan.

:|

No. I don't, actually.

I'm bitter and twisted and say horrible things about U2. Well, I don't really. I just don't care about them anymore.

I listen to mostly U2 because their music seems to work well with all of my moods. But usually if I don't listen to U2, I'll be listening to other artists.

so basically, U2 - 80% of the time, other artists - 20%.
I've been on a U2 high these past few weeks.. er months, so it's been U2 - 100% :D

During the last U2 downtime I did three things:

A. Hunted down some rare U2 stuff I didn't have yet, so I could listen to U2 that was "new to me."

B. Listened to other favorite artists I'd been neglecting while obssessively listening to U2.

B. Got into a ton of different artists I'd never listened to before. Some of them are now my favorites.

theres way too much music out there to restrict myself to only u2 even if they are my favorite band, same with radiohead as much as i love them its been a while since ive really heard them.. i tend to get into other music...ive gotten into a lot of jazz as a result as well as folk music...other than that its the usual of classic rock, 'prog' rock etc...
lately?
nick drake, springsteen, bright eyes, mars volta, new beck, television

Bono's shades said:
B. Got into a ton of different artists I'd never listened to before. Some of them are now my favorites.

The very same right here! Some years ago starting to listen to new stuff, specially listening closely to stuff that used to make me cringe, made me a more open and free person. :up:

it just so happens that during my "u2 downtime" i obsess about other bands if they have a new album out or if they're touring. but even during my "u2 downtime" i still listen to u2. i'll go through my various u2 phases...one week i'll listen to AB over and over again, then the next week i'll take a break, then the next week i'll listen to JT, etc.

U2 downtime ?? What's that ??
I listen to U2 music every single day ... whether a few hours or longer ... besides listening to other rock groups ... sometimes it becomes a U2 day as a matter of fact ... because I'll end up watching a video tape of different U2 segments/shows ... or maybe a DVD from my U2 collection as well ...

When a new U2 album hits, it is about 50% U2. The rest of the time, more like 5%.

I can not understand how so many here listen to U2 constantly. I am a huge fan, but not obsessive compulsive about it. There is a ton of great music out there! :wink:

Mullen4Prez said:

Then why are you here?

Because I liked them until the end of last year and I've been here 4 years now i.e. I joined here when I liekd them (under another username)

Plus, there are a lot of people on this site who swore they hated U2 when there was that ticket fiasco and a lot of folk who still post here and have lost interest in U2. I'm sure I am entitled to post here still. I don't like U2 but I still like their music before ATYCLB and will sometimes get into a conversation about it.

MsMofoGone said:
U2 downtime ?? What's that ??
I listen to U2 music every single day ... whether a few hours or longer ... besides listening to other rock groups ... sometimes it becomes a U2 day as a matter of fact ... because I'll end up watching a video tape of different U2 segments/shows ... or maybe a DVD from my U2 collection as well ...
:hug: Ahh, a U2 lover after me own heart! No U2 downtime for me. I have loved them since the beginning. Call it obsessive or whatever you like.

Lara Mullen said:

Because I liked them until the end of last year and I've been here 4 years now i.e. I joined here when I liekd them (under another username)

Plus, there are a lot of people on this site who swore they hated U2 when there was that ticket fiasco and a lot of folk who still post here and have lost interest in U2. I'm sure I am entitled to post here still. I don't like U2 but I still like their music before ATYCLB and will sometimes get into a conversation about it.

May I ask why you dislike them?

Back
Top Bottom