So...what albums do you plan to buy to pass time till U2's next arrives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
(this list will probably look weird for someone in their 20s but the truth is I've been meaning to get into some famous older music, curiousity and all)

- The Who (ok, I heard My generation and Can't explain - think that's what it's called, but I'm clueless about the rest - will get the Greatest hits coming out this March. ooops, of course, I also kind of know Won't get fooled again - U2's version)

- Led Zeppelin (yes, Stairway to heaven - and Thank you, due to a cover version but that's it. I've been looking for a Greatest hits album, is there one?)

- Lou Reed (errr... NYC Man is it? His and Velvet underground's greatest hits? Perhaps too dark for my taste - I heard Perfect day and Walk on the wild side so far)

- David Bowie (ah, I heard a lot about him, I only know Heroes, and some newer songs - I'll probably go with Greatest hits too)

- Clash (Should I stay or should I go, and that's it as far as my Clash knowledge goes. Greatest hits, or maybe London calling)

- Elvis Costello (hmmm...that song he did with Burt Bacharach in Austin Powers but that's it. Oh, and I liked that "Allison" snippet from the Elevation tour)

- Aerosmith (my brother has a copy of Pump, I guess Greatest hits? I know some of their 90's-or-newer- songs, but not the rest)

- Neil Finn/Crowded house (I recently discovered Crowded house, which resulted in raiding local CD store for any of their CDs. Is Together Alone some Interferencers wrote about a long time ago his solo album or the band stuff?)

*edit* honorable mentions Bob Marley (No woman no cry, Get up stand up - but that's all I know of him), Ottis Redding or Marvin Gaye or Al Green - I ought to try out some soul and see how I like it - and New Order's Crystal (but I think they used to be more into electronica before...)

Last edited:
Get The Who - "Who's Next." It's great.

For the quintessential Bob Marley collection, buy Bob Marley - Legend. It's a beautiful CD.

:wink:

I don't buy many new CD's:(
but I've been looking for Damien Rice-O, I haven't found it yet. Someone recommended it and I was going to treat myself.
and the new
John Butler Trio album- Sunset Over Sea,
when it is released soon. I admire the young man and want to add my vote and $30 to his career:)
Lou Reed- Transformer:up:...I LOVE Perfect Day
Bowie:up: of course
Bob:up: I still can't find the cover to my "legend" CD. I almost bought a cheapo Best of Marley Cd yesterday, because it has the song "Natural Mystic" on it.
Marvin, Marvin, Marvin:up: I have a couple of his concerts on video:drool:

Great list up there maja...enjoy

s0ome genesis album

maybe lou reed ( berlin or transformer )

maybe i'll try something new

or
something classical

Last edited:
U2girl - I would recommend buying Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, any or all of Elvis Costello's first three albums (My Aim Is True, This Year's Model and Armed Forces) or maybe his Best Of, and Bob Marley's Legend.

I try to string out my CD purchases so I don't spend too much money at one time, so I've always got a really long "wish list." Here's an abbreviated version:

Jeff Buckley and Gary Lucas - Songs to No One
REM - Fables of the Reconstruction
Angie Aparo - The American
Sly and the Family Stone - Best Of
Roy Orbison - Anthology
Johnny Cash - American Recordings I, II and III
Doves - Lost Souls
The Police - Message in a Box
Bruce Springsteen - Tracks (the full box set)
White Stripes - White Blood Cells and their first album, the name of which escapes me at the moment

there's like 8 other threads like this in here right now...

U2Girl...

Don't buy those CDs. Instead, just keep listening to new music or whats been out the last couple years. After, you feel like you've had enough or bored with "today's" music, then start listening to Led Zeppelin, the Who, the CLash, etc...

I've never really tried this, but would like to see how such a strategy in listening to music works...

may I recommend you buy

Steve Vai - Fire Garden

awesome guitarist. might have a little trouble liking his music but the man has talent.

Personally I am looking for the new Incubus album and The Darkness:wink:

Thank you BrownEyedBoy (hmm...my brother has Joe Satriani's Surfing with the alien - is Vai's music anything like that? While I wouldn't exactly blast it on a daily basis I liked some of the songs), anitram and Bono's shades for your advice.

I looked at the prices of those CDs on the internet, and I found 5 of them which were cheaper and not exceed my usual limit - circa 45 dollars. (aka about 3 CDs here, assuming one of them is cheaper and not in the "hottest" price category)

I got Who's next from the Who, a Best of from Lou Reed, a Best of from Marvin Gaye , London Calling from the Clash and Crystal from New Order.

*edit* The rest of the CDs in my list are all in the most expensive category, so I'll probably wait till my birthday and give some hints :D
Also on my to-buy list, either a Best of or the Rising from Bruce Springsteen.

Last edited:
I could spend thousands in the cd stores, buying cds is one of my main indulgences in life, I dont really get into fashion all that much, I dont own a hundred pair of shoes, so I kind of think that it evens out. Anyway I try to get most of my cds from either second hand market stalls or at places like Target or K-Mart where they are cheaper than places like HMV or Sanity anyway on my list to get soon is,

The living end: Modern Artillery
U2: October- since this has grown on me, I thought I better get a copy on cd after years of only having vinyl and cassette
Neil Young: Everybody knows this is nowhere
Roxy Music: Avalon
John Butler Trio: his new one, cant remember the name just now
Coldplay: a rush of blood to the head- is that the right title??? I am usualy a little slow to get into new releases, I do however believe that these guys could just be the new U2
Jack Johnson- his new one, I like what I have heard so far from this guy
The flaming lips: their release from last year

hmmm thats all I think of for now:wink:

I plan on gettin the new Collective Soul album...supposed to be out this spring, as well as new Beta Band (contibuted to the High Fidelity soundtrack, "Dry the Rain"- GREAT SONG)

Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane is my immediate album to buy... maybe this Friday :happy:

I have just bought (yesterday) Cast Of Thousand by Elbow, but I bought it in Amazon, I don't have it yet :( but Elbow is another band to check it out

just buy every pearl jam album and listen to them over and over. then buy a couple of their live shows, and your life is complete!

Thanks mikal.
I actually have some of their songs on tape (I think mostly from Ten and Yield albums, and Last kiss) - my brother is a fan so I vaguely know their music.

U2girl said:
Thanks mikal.
I actually have some of their songs on tape (I think mostly from Ten and Yield albums, and Last kiss) - my brother is a fan so I vaguely know their music.

oh! they're amazing. unfortunately, many people only look at the surface, and see pearl jam as a old grundge rock legends that have lost their edge, but if anything, it's the opposite. they've matured and it shows in their music. i can honestly say, that besides U2, Pearl Jam is the only other band on this earth that doesn't have a song that i dislike!

*smacks head* I also think I have a couple of songs from Binaural on that tape, too.

While their music may be a bit too harsh for my taste to really get into them, I do think Eddie Vedder has one of the most strong and moving voices in the last 15 years or so.

nobody has commented on your Aerosmith pick....my advice...
Don't get anything that was released after "Get A Grip"(which was no stellar CD, but has a handful of good songs). The original greatest hits is probably the way to go (their 70's stuff).

Back
Top Bottom