So, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers are playing the Super Bowl Halftime Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. But the only song I want to hear them do at the Superbowl is American Girl.

'Let's get, to the point, let's roll another _ _ _ _ _."

I used to love watching that video on MTV. With all their self-purported edge and boundry pushing. Then bleep that one word out.

Followed by a rap video about whores and capping pigs.

America.

:lol: I would love it if they mixed in lyrics from Mary Jane's Last Dance and Dani California, and finished it off by saying, "Fuck you Anthony Kiedis."

I forgot about that song. I do like that one. Good video, too.

Heaven forbid you say "joint" on MTV. On radio, they changed "roll" to "hit" so they're saying "hit another joint."

I mean, you take hits off joints, don't you? Well done, radio. Way to throw off the potheads. :up:

I've loved Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for almost three decades. They seem like a strange choice for the Super Bowl, but I'm not complaining.

phillyfan26 said:
:lol: I would love it if they mixed in lyrics from Mary Jane's Last Dance and Dani California, and finished it off by saying, "Fuck you Anthony Kiedis."

Yeah, but they asked Tom about that. He liked it.

So...

LOL, I remember Tom talking about the edit of "You Don't Know How It Feels" one time. He said something along the lines of, "Imagine my surprise when I'm watching and I hear, 'Let's roll another noooodge.' That sounds worse than a joint!"

Yeah. Censoring that was pretty freakin' stupid. I remember singing along to that song all the time as a kid, and I never caught the drug reference.

U2democrat said:
I'm excited about this :hyper:

Me, too :hyper:. Should be a good show. Love Tom Petty.

Angela

MrBrau1 said:

No need for encouragement, Tom, I will be doing that anyways during Super Bowl halftime :up:

:shifty:

:whistle:

I remember when it first came out, I was 8 years old. My mom made me change the radio station if she heard it come on and I had no idea why. I always assumed it was because of the word "damn" in the first couple lines. I probably figured he was talking about elbows or something. :lol:

Man, this is going to be kickass.

Free Falling
Learning to Fly OR Refugee
Running Down a Dream

Probably no Mary Jane's Last Dance, cause I can't see that kind of song working in a Super Bowl half time show environment, even though it is kickass to the extreme.

This might be the only thing that saves me from going batshit crazy if the game ends up being Dallas vs New England :crack:

DaveC said:
I remember when it first came out, I was 8 years old. My mom made me change the radio station if she heard it come on and I had no idea why. I always assumed it was because of the word "damn" in the first couple lines. I probably figured he was talking about elbows or something. :lol:

Hehe.

I was 10. My parents said they always found it amusing to hear me in the backseat of the car belting out the song. I recall hearing the "I gotta go" bit and thinking he was referring to a bathroom or something :p.

(Talking about this song is totally making me want to go play the Wildflowers album. Man, I love that CD...)

I agree with your list of possible songs. "Mary Jane's Last Dance" would be a bit of an odd choice, but hey, I certainly wouldn't complain if I heard it. That song is indeed kickass.

I'm wondering if they wouldn't play any of their more recent songs at all. Trying to think of what more recent songs of theirs would be good for the show.

Angela

MrBrau1 said:

I used to love watching that video on MTV. With all their self-purported edge and boundry pushing. Then bleep that one word out.

Followed by a rap video about whores and capping pigs.

America.

Wow what a coincidence! The song came on the radio today on my way to work and I was like :drool: Hadn't heard it in years! I love that song! I love Tom Petty's music. :heart:

That album Wildflowers has got that other great tune, You Wreck Me.

ETA: And btw, the radio station here did not bleep out any words so I don't know what you're talking about.

Zootlesque said:
That album Wildflowers has got that other great tune, You Wreck Me.

:yes: Another awesome song, indeed.

Zootlesque said:
ETA: And btw, the radio station here did not bleep out any words so I don't know what you're talking about.

They bleeped it on TV. I can't remember if the radio station I used to hear that song on bleeped it out or not. I don't think they did...

Since we're singing some Petty songs...

Oh, yeah, all right
Take it easy, baby, make it last all night
She was an American girl...

Angela

Well yeah I might have chased a couple of women around
All it ever got me was down
Then there were those that made me feel good
But never as good as I feel right now
Baby you're the only one that's ever known how
To make me wanna live like I wanna live now

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more ca rd
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

DaveC said:

This might be the only thing that saves me from going batshit crazy if the game ends up being Dallas vs New England :crack:

Don't even speak of such horror!!! :no:

Since I know the 'Skins have little to no chance, I'm rooting for a Colts repeat.

U2democrat said:

Don't even speak of such horror!!! :no:

Since I know the 'Skins have little to no chance, I'm rooting for a Colts repeat.

I'm rooting for the Packers. :D

Back
Top Bottom