so long, Jed Clampett - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:57 PM
so long, Jed Clampett

Quote:
Buddy Ebsen - Forever a Beverly Hillbilly

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Buddy Ebsen, who died on Sunday aged 95, had an illustrious film career: kissing Barbara Stanwyck, playing Audrey Hepburn's husband and co-starring with the likes of Shirley Temple and Gregory Peck.

But he will forever be identified with one enduring television role -- genial Jed Clampett, patriarch of the dirt-poor Ozark hills family that became rich with an oil strike and moved to California in "The Beverly Hillbillies."

The show aired for nine seasons, from 1962 to 1971, making it one of CBS' longest-running sitcoms. The first two years, it was the number one rated show on television attracting as many as 60 million viewers a week.

Yet after the first episode, critics pounded the show as an example of how low television would stoop for laughs. But Ebsen won over the viewers and made the role of Clampett his own and the show became a hit in 35 countries.

Ebsen then starred in another long-running TV show, playing the title role in the detective series, "Barnaby Jones," which ran from 1973 to 1980, also on CBS.

In later life, he developed an oil-painting hobby into a thriving business, selling his self-portraits and folksy recreations of rural life on his Web site.

And in 2001, at the age of 93, he made became a novelist, publishing a romance called "Kelly's Quest" that became a best-seller.

LOTS OF HIM

"There are a lot of me's," he commented at the time. "I didn't retire. They retired me ... So I just moved on to other things."

By the time he became a TV star, Ebsen already had a full career on Broadway, including a featured spot in the "Ziegfeld Follies" and in movies, playing alongside such stars as Shirley Temple, Gregory Peck, Robert Taylor and Eleanor Powell.

Barbara Stanwyck, a former dance partner, held a special place for Ebsen, who made the 1937 film "Banjo on my Knee" with her. "She gave me my first screen kiss. When she finished I couldn't remember my next line," he said with a smile.

Other films include "Captain January" with a 6-year-old Shirley Temple in 1936, "Davy Crockett" in 1955 and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" in 1961.

In "Breakfast at Tiffany's," in which he played Audrey Hepburn's husband Doc Golightly, Ebsen described working with Hepburn as like "trying on a perfectly tailored sport coat for the first time."

A series of breaks, good and bad, marked the direction of Ebsen's career. Rejected from his first Broadway role as being too tall, he later won a screen role in "Night People," because at six-feet, three-inches (1.9 m), he was tall enough to play alongside Gregory Peck.

Another time, his dance act with his sister Vilma was spotted in an Atlantic City night club in 1930 by the influential columnist Walter Winchell, whose glowing review won the pair a part in the Broadway musical "Flying Colors."

Bad luck was responsible for the biggest part he never played -- a serious allergy to aluminum paint that was part of the make-up for the plum role of The Tin Man in the 1939 classic "The Wizard of Oz."

Ebsen was hospitalized for two weeks in an oxygen tent from inhaling the paint but MGM executives thought he was malingering. "They told me to get the heck back to work," Ebsen said. When he said he could not return, the role as one of Judy Garland's friends on the Yellow Brick Road went to Jack Haley.

Born Christian Rudolph Ebsen on April 2, 1908, in Belleville, Illinois, he moved with his parents and four sisters to West Palm Beach, Florida, when he was 12.

He trained in his father's dance school and took ballet lessons.

Married three times, he had seven children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his third wife Dotti.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:53 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 04:57 PM
RIP Buddy

Old 07-07-2003, 01:33 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Old 07-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 PM

That's sad. I've always liked Buddy. He'll be missed.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Jed Clampett granny, Elly-Mae,Jethro, Mr Drysdale I grew up watching that show, fond memories. I didn't know they were from the Ozarks( Mountain Daredevil country...)
Breakfast at Tiffany's Moonriver wider than a mile...
Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier.....
fond fond memories

inspirational that he became a novelist at 93.
Christian Rudolph...what a lovely name.
Condolences to Dotti, family and friends
RIP Buddy
Old 07-07-2003, 06:24 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:57 PM

I also grew up watching Buddy as Jed. You will be missed, and may you rest in peace.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:54 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

We have lost quite a few good ones lately.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:29 PM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
We have lost quite a few good ones lately.

I was in love with Elle May
Old 07-08-2003, 03:50 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

were you Walkron? sweet. I found out recently my bro-in-law watches the re-runs of "The Beverley Hillbillies" I thought maybe because of Elle-May( is that the correct spelling?) but no, he thinks Jethro is hilarious. I quite liked the dry humour of Mr Drysdale's secretary . I was going bats yesterday trying to recall her name...Miss Jane....what was her surname?

...my husband's younger brother calls us the "Beverley Hillbillies". I take it as a compliment ...although I suspect I remind him of granny.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:06 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I jusy heard on the radio......
The Siamese twins being operated on in Singapore, didn't make it
Condolences to their family, the medical team, their friends.
They were so bright and had come so far.
RIP beautiful girls
Old 07-10-2003, 02:00 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by cass
I jusy heard on the radio......
The Siamese twins being operated on in Singapore, didn't make it
Condolences to their family, the medical team, their friends.
They were so bright and had come so far.
RIP beautiful girls
Yeah, that was a shame to hear-I'd heard the news story about them going in for the procedure the night before and how the doctors said there was no guarantee they'd make it. I hoped they would. .

And R.I.P. to Buddy Ebsen, along with all the others we've lost recently.

Everyone can stop dying now.

Angela
Old 07-10-2003, 07:16 PM   #12
The Fly

This broke my heart He was my favorite, really. I took my name from an episode of his show. I will always love him. One more weeellll doggie in his honor. RIP, you made many people happy.