So, Kramer goes on racist tirade at comedy show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, I'm sure he'll say he was intoxicated or something, that he didn't really mean it, and he'll check into rehab. That seems to be the excuse these days w/celebrities.

But seriously, this surprised me. He's going to have to work really hard to salvage what was left of his career.

Kind of disappointing, yes, but we didnt exactly hear what all was said to him first to get him so upset. No excuse for calling the N word and all that but I dont hate the guy because of this.

MrPryck2U said:
Nope, he was sober. Richards is fucked. Even his buddy Seinfeld can't help him.

No, he definitely wasn't sober. As Rick James says, "cocaine's a hell of a drug". :huh:

I watched the apology, and the thing that struck me most was that people in the Letterman crowd were laughing during it. Not just one guy, either - it sounded like an entire section of people randomly found something funny about it that I didn't see.

I'd post the video, but it seems Youtube has taken them all down thanks to CBS.

:shrug:

I hear ya Sicy. I don't hate the guy, but he made a dreadful career move. Did you check out what he said at youtube yet? The hecklers didn't say much, but Richards isn't really used to heckling, so he overreacted.

DaveC said:

I watched the apology, and the thing that struck me most was that people in the Letterman crowd were laughing during it. Not just one guy, either - it sounded like an entire section of people randomly found something funny about it that I didn't see.

I think people were laughing because they thought it was a bit. Letterman tapes late in the afternoon and it's likely that most of the audience had no idea what happened since this video only came out yesterday. If you had no idea what was going on, then you assume that hey it's Letterman with Seinfeld and Kramer - it's got to be a bit.

Wow, I'm glad you were able to see he was on coke from that guy's camera phone? I bow to your talents.

The audience at Letterman were laughing when he used the term afro-american.

DaveC said:

I'd post the video, but it seems Youtube has taken them all down thanks to CBS.

:shrug:

They're both still up at tmz.com

I can't believe that some people are shrugging this off! Heckling is part of the stand-up comedy scene, and if you can't handle it, you're in the wrong business. Comics that handle it with razor-sharp wit and sarcasm to bring the heckler down a peg or two are one thing, but this is unreal!

Richard's words are every bit as ugly and despicable as Gibson's anti-Semetic tirade a while back. Thank goodness society doesn't accept this white supremacy bullshit anymore. I hope what little is left of his career implodes on him.

VintagePunk said:
Heckling is part of the stand-up comedy scene, and if you can't handle it, you're in the wrong business. Comics that handle it with razor-sharp wit and sarcasm to bring the heckler down a peg or two are one thing, but this is unreal!

Richard's words are every bit as ugly and despicable as Gibson's anti-Semetic tirade a while back

I agree. And he didn't just use the n word, he also made that reference to lynching. Maybe he was so angry he wanted to lynch them too - or merely hate and humiliate them with such a horrific reference.

MrPryck2U said:
Wow, I'm glad you were able to see he was on coke from that guy's camera phone? I bow to your talents.

The audience at Letterman were laughing when he used the term afro-american.

You don't need to see white powder on his face to have an inkling. I've seen enough people yayed out to know how one acts with blow on the mind. Just look at the guy in the video, he's babbling, incoherent, mood swinging, jumping all over the place, flying into a rage at a (apparently) small slight...

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I actually hope the dude was high. Otherwise, there's no good excuse for it. They interviewed Paul Rodriguez afterward and I would've thought maybe Paul would've mentioned drugs as a reason or something. Either way, it's safe to say that Richards' career is over. Richards looked pretty bad on the Letterman Show when he "apologized" for his actions. He looked like he should be on suicide watch or something.

Richards' apology was almost physically painful to watch on Letterman. He looked and sounded very uncomfortable. I couldn't watch it for very long; I had to look away from my TV.

I will always love the Seinfeld series and Richards' work on it, though.

jobob said:
Richards' apology was almost physically painful to watch on Letterman. He looked and sounded very uncomfortable. I couldn't watch it for very long; I had to look away from my TV.

yeah, he really looked pretty bad. It is kind of worrying. I think that Letterman was a strange forum for his apology. I watched Letterman last night and didn't have any idea what had happened over the weekend. I was confused. i didn't know if it was a routine or what. I think that aplogizing on a talk show known mostly for comedy left a strange message. I think he should have chosen another forum.
He looked so distressed and broken up. It was hard to watch.

jobob said:

He was totally wrong, But you could tell he apology was so sincere. You feel for someone when everyone and there brother gets to see you on your worst day. Again I may be presuming a bit here, but Ive never heard anything bad about the guy before and to just snap like that something doesnt seem right does it? If there is a drug related problem I hope he gets help.

On a side note I was at the gym and was watching FOX news on it was all over it for like an hour but the volume was off so I was reduced to reading captions while on a treadmill so I might not be accurate here, but, they had some guy on that was offended by Richards words (with good reason of course) and he ended he his interview with "man I don't like any of you white ppl around here" .

MAN, does hate always have to breath life into more hate. I wish we didnt all try to hurt eachother so much.

CTU2fan said:
Did Seinfeld actually defend him?

It's interesting how skillfully Seinfeld handled it. He's totally against what Richards did, but he knows Richards was genuinely "shattered" about the whole thing and seemed to be standing by him. Richards is lucky to have a friend like that.

Last edited:
bah, it's terrible what happened.

i love kramer, and always will though.

i know i've done and said horrible things in the past that i wouldn't want people to remember me by.

no matter what, it's a terrible shame this happened though.

Just a shot in the dark about him apologizing on Letterman, maybe it was BECAUSE Jerry was the guest that night and it's a popular show so a lot of people would see it :shrug:

wow, after seeing the video it's a lot worse than I thought it would be. Geez, :yikes: it will be very hard to ever live that down. It was a total overreaction and not one he could ever pull of by saying he was joking...
His role as Kramer is a true classic & the show continues to be one of my favorite ever. But it's like I can't help but feel bad for the guy..he truly needs some counseling & rehab and what ever little career he had...well it's pretty much over & I'm sure it will be very hard to live with.

jobob said:

Agreed.

TheBrush said:

On a side note I was at the gym and was watching FOX news on it was all over it for like an hour but the volume was off so I was reduced to reading captions while on a treadmill so I might not be accurate here, but, they had some guy on that was offended by Richards words (with good reason of course) and he ended he his interview with "man I don't like any of you white ppl around here" .

MAN, does hate always have to breath life into more hate. I wish we didnt all try to hurt eachother so much.

I was watching that same thing at the gym with THE CAPTIONS ON too but it seems like you read it out of context. The guy was telling a joke about a little white kid pretending to be black to both his mom and dad whom told him to knock it off. He goes to his grandma and she asks him what it's like to be black and the kid replies something like "I've been black for only 5 mins and already I dont like any of you white people". The guy telling the joke was paul mooney and his point to the reporter was to show that you can tell a race joke as long as there is a punchline. He wasnt trying to inflame the hate.

Paul Mooney is funny! He's one of the best at telling race jokes.
When I watched the Richards tape again, it seemed like he was trying to be like this racist character but it had no humor so it wasn't funny. Basically, he just wigged the fuck out. In show biz, you gotta keep it together and keep going. The hecklers easily bothered him. I wonder what he would've said if they were white? Or if they were Hispanic? Or even if they were fat?

Calvin N. Hobbes said:

I was watching that same thing at the gym with THE CAPTIONS ON too but it seems like you read it out of context. The guy was telling a joke about a little white kid pretending to be black to both his mom and dad whom told him to knock it off. He goes to his grandma and she asks him what it's like to be black and the kid replies something like "I've been black for only 5 mins and already I dont like any of you white people". The guy telling the joke was paul mooney and his point to the reporter was to show that you can tell a race joke as long as there is a punchline. He wasnt trying to inflame the hate.

ahhh gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. Like I said I only caught the tail end of it, I wasnt trying to insinuate anything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom