So it's OK to eat LOTS of carbs again????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
High-carb diet works: Study
Participants had loads of carbohydrates and reduced fat intake

Flies in the face of Atkins' low-carb craze; some expert

LINDSEY TANNER
ASSOCIATED PRESS

CHICAGO?In the midst of the low-carb craze, a new study suggests that by eating lots of carbohydrates and little fat, it is possible to lose weight without actually cutting calories ? and without exercising, either.

The study was small, consisting of just 34 overweight adults who either ate the recommended diet for three months; ate the recommended diet and exercised regularly; or ate pretty much what they usually eat.

All meals were prepared for participants, who were instructed to eat as much as they wanted. They were also told to return any uneaten food, which the researchers said enabled them to calculate calorie intake.

Many doctors dispute whether people can lose weight without reducing their food intake, and at least one questioned the study's accuracy.

But the diet is more compatible with conventional notions of healthful eating than the fatty, low-carbohydrate Atkins and South Beach diets.

Participants on the recommended diet lost about seven pounds without cutting calories and without exercise, and almost 11 pounds with 45 minutes of stationary bike-riding four times weekly. The control group lost no weight.

The findings appeared in the Archives Of Internal Medicine.

Gary Foster, clinical director of the University of Pennsylvania's Weight and Eating Disorders Program, said he suspects participants who lost weight ate less than what was reported. He said that while he recommends a low-fat, high carb diet to patients, without calorie reduction it would be "a public health disaster."

"The whole idea that you could lose weight without reducing energy intake flies in the face of 100 years of data," Foster said.

Lead author William Evans of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences stood by his findings.

"Calories in, minus calories out does not always determine the amount of weight loss," Evans said. "This is because we metabolize fats and carbohydrates very differently."

American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Cindy Moore agreed and said with low-carb diets hogging the spotlight, "it may be a reminder that we can lose weight in a variety of different ways."

Foods on the successful diets included high-fibre cereal, vegetarian chili, whole-wheat spaghetti, many fruits and vegetables, and skim milk. Daily calories totalled about 2,400, similar to participants' usual consumption.

The control group also received prepared meals with similar calories, but the foods included sausage, scrambled eggs, macaroni and cheese, french fries, whole milk and fewer fruits and vegetables.

The successful diet was not tested against Atkins and other low-carb regimens, which contain more fat and fewer carbs than the control group diet.

It's likely that there will be more studies challenging the current, popular conviction that the way to lose weight is to cut way back on carbs. The pendulum may even swing to where it was in the mid-1990s when dietary fat was the great enemy, blamed for obesity, heart disease and high cholesterol counts. Health conscious people busily counted fat grams. By the mid-1990s, the number of new foods and beverages whose labels proclaimed "no fat'' or "low fat" hit an all-time high.

But in the last five to 10 years, the carbohydrate became the bad guy du jour. A new generation of dieters, following weight-loss plans such as the Atkins and South Beach diets, began gobbling up animal proteins and high-fat dairy products and sullying their plates with only the most minute portions of starches and sugars.

Just as food manufacturers once responded to fat-bashing by banishing fat from dairy products, frozen dinners and snacks, companies became focused on the low-carbohydrate ? make that "net carbs" ? bandwagon.

Walk the aisles of the supermarket now, and you'll find breads, frozen dinners, ice cream, cereal and power bars with reduced carbohydrate content.

Foods designed for low-carbohydrate diets are making the transition from a specialty item in the health-food section to shelves throughout the store.

But it's entirely possible that, at some point that may not be too far off, carbs will once more be regarded as benign while fat once again becomes the enemy.

In the meantime, nutritionists generally advocate a balanced diet that includes proper amounts of protein, fats and carbohydrates, particularly complex carbs that are generally unprocessed foods such as vegetables and whole grains.

I'd go for the radical approach of eating a balanced diet, eating a mix of carbs, fruits, protein, fats etc. All in moderation and throw in some exercise. It works I tell you..Now where's my millions!

I am SO tired of hearing about the low carb crap I'm going on another kind of diet and eat all the carbs I want and blow everyone away. Tizer's plan is best and really the only way I trust. I think what really pushed me over the edge with the carb burnout was when I saw the Hardee's "low carb" burger that had lettuce for a bun. LOLOLOLOL :lmao: Then those stupid commercials 'oh honey I thought we were on this diet together! People are such sheep sometimes and everybody will jump on the bandwagon trying to make a quick buck off the fad.

Sorry, I'm not convinced by one study when Atkins research has been done since the 60's and it works for me :shrug: Plus it seems like with this new 'diet', you'd be at a big risk for Type 2/insulin resistant diabetes, with all of those glucose spikes that high carbs will give you...

I heard Atkins is terribly hard on the liver:( It's supposed to force it to do all the work of burning or something. My friend is a long distance bicyclist and he and his buddies say it's not healthy for the organs and won't go on it.

LOL@ "get off your ass" diet :laugh:

Atkins is not healthy.

But you will not lose weight on a high carb diet. You have to cut carbs in order to lose weight. This is basic biochemistry and I can guarantee you that if some person out there found a way in which to bypass carbohydrate metabolism, they would receive next year's Nobel prize. This has been attempted for decades, never successful.

We occasionally run health lectures and the nutritonist (sp?) went off about how bad the Atkins diet is. If I remember correctly she was basically saying the same thing as most people here - eat less, exercise more. The only commerical diet that she recommended was the GI diet.

when i go into the grocery store and walk past the whole shelf of atkins special brand stuff, it yells money-making fad.

diets suck.

its a small donut everyone goes ballistic over. nothing special. at least i dont think.

Krispy Kreme is soo sweet. :barf:

I have to agree, Atkins isn't a good diet. How can a "diet" that allows you to eat some of the worst stuff available possibly be good for you? Sure, you might lose weight, but if you have terrible health, is that really for the better?

On iVillage, they have a Atkins page, and here's a quote:

"The Atkins diet plan allows unrestricted amounts of protein, including meats, eggs and cheese, and severely limits foods containing carbohydrates such as pasta, bread and fruit."

Gee, a diet that consists of unrestricted amounts of fatty meats and cheese, but cuts out the healthy fruit and breads! Why didn't I think of it? :rolleyes:

Another quote -- from the cons page..

"- Eating unlimited amounts of fat, especially saturated fat found in meat products, can lead to increased risk of heart disease.
- Restricting carbohydrate means eating a low-fiber diet, which can cause constipation.
- Extensive research on healthy populations tells us to eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Restricting these foods in the name of weight loss may lead to long-term health problems."

I guess that's why I didn't. :|

Bottom line is, if you want to lose weight, you can do the most absurd diets to lose weight. But they, for the most part, aren't good for you. For example, Uma Thurman needed to lose weight for Kill Bill, so she ate nothing but chocolate. Sure, she looks great, but I know quite a few people who have done it and they say they felt horrible the entire time. I know Atkins dieters might not physically feel that bad, but it's the principle. Diets can help you lose weight, but they 9 times out of 10 are bad for your health and are ridiculous, not to mention the fact that allowing yourself to eat the stuff that THOUSANDS of no-brainer studies have proved are terrible for you.

Like Tizer said, you need a balanced diet and exercise. It's not that crazy of an idea.

Sacrilege!

The Manna of donuts:

krispy-kreme-snarf-130x130.jpg

Best when hot:

krispy_kreme_glazing.jpg

Last edited:
have i ever mentioned how much i love pasta...and potatos...seriously my two favourite foods right there.

*edit*

not like i posted in the wrong thread or anything :shifty: :reject:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom