So it's OK to eat LOTS of carbs again????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Krispy Kreme donuts taste great when they are hot. They melt in your mouth.

But they are appalling, with probably something like 7 tablespoons of fat in them. Really disgusting.

:lol:
beli a Krispy Kreme will probably open out your way before too long and then you can join my underground movement of the Anti Krispy Kreme Association, aka AKKA.
:|
The first outside north America opened near me last year or something some time and since then, we alone have probably tripled the Atkins participants numbers.

I get abused every time I share concern over the people using this Atkins cult, so I will shut up.
:|

Im not a big donut fan. We just got a Hans Cafe/noodle house opened up near me. That I like. Noodles :drool:

Im used to be abused. Beli impersonates Beli at work:
' No, your computer monitor does not give off 'radiation', theres more radiation in the bricks in the walls than emitting from your monitor'

'No, its not okay to ignite a 1600 degree celcius fire outside under the combustable gum trees beyond the reach of the fire reel, even if it does look pretty. I dont care what you do in Denmark'

'Atkins diet? Just putting you through to a Safety & Health Officer'
:wink:

Im used to saying 'its crap', I do it at work. Bono cant find someone to tell him no - well come here mate and ask if you can dive bomb model helicopters over the general public on open day.... :wink:

Why cant we get something decent like a noodle house here? Instead we get wankerfest coffee houses and 24 hour doughnut shops pretending they are a fast food competitor.
Stupid wankers. Half of Sydney walks around with their heads shoved up their arses anyway. It's such an irrational pet peeve of mine peak hour in the city watching these morons jostle and buzz as they push their way into some stupid chain coffee shop after only just being at home like an hour ago where they have probably had 2 cups of coffee already, that desperate for a caffeine hit they cannot wait another 5 minutes to get to the office so they prance along like the wankers they are with their little cups with the wanky lid, using it as a shield against the caffeineless masses....dickheads.
/rant sidetrack.

I have been bitten by some mozzies on the SOLE of my foot and now its all swollen.
:grumpy:

24 hour doughnut shops? Wot, in case you need an emergency doughnut at 3:00am on Monday? We dont have those. We are starting to get wanker coffee houses but not too many just yet. 'They' have just refitted Whitfords shops (ie near me) and we now have 250 shops I think. Not many wanky coffee shops so Im guessing we are not really going to get them here (nor a 7 tablespoons of fat doughnut shop) Maybe in the heart of the city. Dunno, never go there.

Its juice bars here. Tonnes of em. 'Would you like a shot of wheatgrass with that'. But I like juice so I no complain. I think Perth is a bit more health concious than Sydney. (I was born in the 'gong so Ive been over a few times). Last time I was in Sydney there was a MacDonalds on just about every second corner. We dont have so many of here. Lots - just not as many.

PS My Nana, the one that doesnt like movies about nude men swimming in a lake (wtf?) family is from the Blue Mountains. Black ???

Are we supposed to talk about Atkins? Ummm. Know Im really going to offend. Atkins is in the same basket as the cabbage soup diet and the Israeli diet - been around for decades but will always be a fad. (.......ducks under the table......)

Kripsy Kreme (my bane) is 24 hour. It is conveniently located right next to one of the largest leagues clubs in the NRL. Penrith has a lot to be proud of.
:slant:
And yes, that is just incase you wake up at say 4am on a Wednesday and think "Damn I really NEED a doughnut".
I suspect it is to cater to the beyond innebriated who crawl out of the club and decide a doughnut will help them sober up.

Your nan's fam from either Blackheath (near the top), Blaxland, near the bottom, or Blacktown which is a bit more east?

Anyway, sorry yes, Atkins. I've got many concerns over it. I am very curious because it appears to be so successful and who wouldn't want a diet which allows you to lose weight without excercising? As a diabetic and also a sufferer of Coeliacs, it goes against every nutrional standard ever made and taught not only to me, but everyone worldwide for the last god knows how long. The body needs carbs. Slow burning fuel. Instant hits from sugar are not good, but neither is high fat, protein and cholesterol.

IWasBored said:
when i go into the grocery store and walk past the whole shelf of atkins special brand stuff, it yells money-making fad.

Exactly! And when other products start adding how low carb they are to the front of their boxes, it shows how far it's spread and how everyone's trying to cash in. :tsk:

I love donuts, but not Krispy Kreme :no: For those who didn't know, for 40 years they were cold, average grocery store donuts sold by the box. If they are more than 12 hours old they are worse than stale bread. :yuck: Now suddenly someone has the brilliant idea to put them in cases and sell them seperately like a REAL donut, and folks all over the place are thinking they're some kind of delicacy! I can't stand it! :scream: I hope it's just another fad and real homemade donuts will find their way back. It bugs me when a chain takes over private or local industry anyway.

Last edited:
Even if Atkins works for some I still don't trust it as healthy. These other things 'work' but are unhealthy:

Phenphen
Aphedra
(sp)
anorexia
bulimia
starvation

will Atkins be added to this list?

elevatedmole said:
Krispy Kreme is soo sweet. :barf:

I have to agree, Atkins isn't a good diet. How can a "diet" that allows you to eat some of the worst stuff available possibly be good for you? Sure, you might lose weight, but if you have terrible health, is that really for the better?

[edited for shortness]

Like Tizer said, you need a balanced diet and exercise. It's not that crazy of an idea.

great post :up:

I've been on a sort of diet these past few weeks.

But I realized after having some pasta the other day for the first time... that I seem to need carbs in order to feel awake, alert, and clear-headed... without some kind of carb source, I have a slight headache and tiredness... is that how it's supposed to be? :confused:

Has anyone out there tried the 'zone'?

Diet talk was part of our usual conversation at work last night and a co-worker mentioned that she was doing the zone. She said it is similiar to Atkins but you ate more carbs and when you ate the fatty meat stuff you only ate the leaner cuts (chicken breast instead of thigh)

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Beli, I have been on Atkins since July, and so many things in my life have improved. Probably the best change is my ride to work - I have a 1/2 hour commute, and even if I had 10 hours of sleep the night before, I was always VERY drowsy on my way to school, probably because of the sugar crash that was happening after my huge bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats :uhoh: I feel very even all day now, as in the morning, and now also in the afternoon, I don't get that crash at 1-2pm where I think I'll keel over if I don't get a nap. About once a month a take a day off, and for all the things I've been wanting (like pizza or a donut), I'll have it on that day, so I'm not completely depriving myself of anything (just practicing severely delayed gratification ;) ). Usually, I am cursing myself halfway through the day when my head is pounding and my GI tract feels like it will explode. Hasn't gotten me to give up the cheat days, but I do feel bad when I do it :shrug:

I don't see how it is unhealthy to minimize your intake of refined sugars, trans-fats, and preservatives, and increase your vegetable intake (lots o' fiber there BTW). I was skeptical of Atkins for a long time too, 'til I decided to actually sit down and read the book and see the whole picture Dr. Atkins was trying to portray, and not just taking bits and pieces from the media. Yes, it was incredibly hard to go cold turkey on my cereal and bread and pasta that I loved so much, but when I realized that 90% of diet was those things, I knew that wasn't healthy either. I am now back to eating bread and cereal and pasta, I just have the low carb versions which have lots of fiber and protein and are a very decent substitute. I think some of the sugar-free chocolates taste better than real chocolate, and they won't rot my teeth to boot! :up:

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge said:
High-carb diet works: Study
Participants had loads of carbohydrates and reduced fat intake

Flies in the face of Atkins' low-carb craze; some expert

It's bullshit. You have studies that are looking for a desirable result. All these low carb companies and their special interests are mad at the Atkins craze, so they'll do anything to discredit it.

Science favors the Atkins diet, overall. If you want to fatten pigs, for instance, you don't give them meat or fat. You give them corn. Carbohydrates are broken down through insulin, and insulin prevents weight loss. Too many carbohydrates mean too much insulin meaning the possible development of Type II diabetes.

I'd ignore this study.

Melon

theSoulfulMofo said:
I've been on a sort of diet these past few weeks.

But I realized after having some pasta the other day for the first time... that I seem to need carbs in order to feel awake, alert, and clear-headed... without some kind of carb source, I have a slight headache and tiredness... is that how it's supposed to be? :confused:

If you just start a high protein, low carb diet, there is a transition period where your body switches from being reliant on sugar to protein. It is to be expected.

If you can make it past the discomfort, it goes away in about a week.

Melon

I agree with everything the lovely ms. loveslave said. I was incredibly skeptic of Atkins for years, also thinking it was incredibly unhealthy. However, I finally read the book about a month ago, and it just made sense so I decided to give it a try.

I have been following the strict induction phase for 13 days now. I was following pretty much to the letter, until my 'ok i'll just have a glass of wine' turned into me drinking a bottle last night :| I won't be doing that again soon. But I digress...the first two days were hard as I was adjusting. I just felt pretty blah. On the third day, I felt like a new person. My energy levels are incredibly high right now...it's like having the jolt from a coffee but having that feeling last all day. I really miss my cereal and yogurt right now (and my ice cream and beer), but this feeling can't be beat (plus I am six pounds lighter!). I'm sure I'll have the occassional cheat again, but I've heard horrors stories about them (like Beth mentioned) so I know I'll really make it count then :sexywink:

Just my two cents...

Well, while I can certainly see the benefits of reducing your refined carbs, and I don't even mind getting rid of pasta for the most part, I REFUSE to give up fruit.

Oh, and Beth, I read somewhere that chocolate is very good for your teeth.

I would never go on Atkins. Walk into any top ranked University, go up to their Biochemistry Department and I believe 10 times out of 10, you will be told it is simply not a great idea.

The reason you feel sluggish without Carbs is that your brain feeds on carbs exclusively.

You also need to keep in mind that if you eliminate the majority of carbs from your diet, your body will switch to process protein and fat. However, the very first glass of fruit juice or piece of fruit or anything sugary you have - BAM! your body goes back to preferentially using carbs as a food source. Immediately. You cannot make the change permanent, so if you want to eat fat and protein exclusively, you need to do it for the rest of your life.

It's a good way to lose weight, but it is not a reasonable way to maintain a balanced diet.

People in the rest of the world (outside the West) seem to by and large realize the nutritional value of things like soy, flax, fish, and foods rich in omega-3,6 and 9 fatty acids. Our solution to the problem is to stock up on fat and meat to lose a few quick pounds. It absolutely boggles the mind.

Not to mention, that you may be losing weight and feeling great, but if all the studies on heart disease and cancer have not convinced you that a balanced diet is necessary, then it's kind of a lost cause. We are dying for no reason except our unwillingness to implement major changes to the way we live our lives.

bonosloveslave said:

I don't see how it is unhealthy to minimize your intake of refined sugars, trans-fats, and preservatives, and increase your vegetable intake (lots o' fiber there BTW).

I agree with you completely on this point. In fact that one sentence is probably the key to most peoples weight loss. And yes, cutting out those things will give people a headache intially as they detox. And maintaining insulin levels to a constant is also highly desirable.

What I dont agree with is the ratios - the increase in permittable fats.

fah said:

Low carb beer...I've seen in the stores but haven't bought it.

It's out there if you want to find it.

Yep, I know it's out there, and I don't like it. I like my beers to be very dark and strong...I can't even handle light beer. So, I'm screwed:wink:

the people on this diet lost weight because they cut out refined sugars and ate whole wheat pastas and bread. Most people would loose weight if they cut out candy, soda, white bread, and other refined sugars. I think that's the probably the healthiest diet, too much of anything is bad for you (carbs or protein/fat).

anitram said:
I would never go on Atkins. Walk into any top ranked University, go up to their Biochemistry Department and I believe 10 times out of 10, you will be told it is simply not a great idea.
:up: Agreed. Actually I work for a 'limestone' University and I guess live quite a sheltered life. We do get queries about Atkins but I never imagined people were so passionate about it. This has been quite an eye opener. Im still trying to get my head around it.

anitram said:
Not to mention, that you may be losing weight and feeling great, but if all the studies on heart disease and cancer have not convinced you that a balanced diet is necessary, then it's kind of a lost cause. We are dying for no reason except our unwillingness to implement major changes to the way we live our lives. [/B]
:up: Agreed. Anitram you have a way with words. Yes, there have been many many clinical trials/studies to prove what you have mentioned. In fact I maintain a clinical trials database at work and most of the non chemical/mechanical intervention trials are exactly that - effects of increasing fish consumption, effects of walking up the stairs, etc. I dont recall any trials on increasing fat consumption. I could check today but I dont think people who are into Atkins are into listening to scientific data, or they would read what is already available.

anitram said:
People in the rest of the world (outside the West) seem to by and large realize the nutritional value of things like soy, flax, fish, and foods rich in omega-3,6 and 9 fatty acids.

All of these foods are high in protein, though, with the exception of the fatty acids, which are present in the protein heavy foods.

I tend to think that the Atkins diet would actually quite like all of the above, better than red meat. The media, of course, obsesses over the meat and crude fat that Americans crave, as a whole.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom