So I went to the VH1/Vogue fashion awards and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
...they kinda sucked, but the afterparty kinda rocked.

So here is what I did with my Tuesday night:

My girlfriend was invited to the awards and party as she works for the company and due to this, I get to act cool (I repeat act.)

We went to the show which as at Radio City Music Hall here in NYC and I thought the show was just being taped, little did I know that it was live. My girlfriend styled most of the jewelry on the stars and models in the show but mostly took care of the host (Debra Messing (the girl from Will and Grace.)) We had great seats in the orchestra and we knew a ton of people through her work, but there were also a ton of peole she dealt with (security guards, celebrity staff...) that kind of impressed me. In any event we sat amongst the rich and famous and the show was pretty good - I thought Bowie was great, but I have to say it was a bit weird sitting there and having these stars get up and walk past you simply to use the toilet. What was also weird was because it was a live show, when they went to commercial, the house lights would come on and we would all get up and mingle until the countdown started for them to go back live. It was interesting.

Then there was the afterparty.

It was held at the Hudson Hotel and because the place was kind of small it was packed. Here are the people who looked me directly in the eye last night:

Hugh Grant
Tyra Banks
Naomi Campbell
Natalie Portman
Paul Sorvino
Heidi Klum
The Hilton Sisters
Jaime Lynn Siegler (Meadow from the Sopranos)
Eve
Michele Branch
A ton of models who I had no idea who they were, but my girlfriend knew all of.

The coolest thing of all, however was at the party my girlfriend had to take care of some work related stuff having to do with Debra Messing, so we walked over to her 'posse' that were hanging around her to talk to her manager. When we got over there they invited us to sit and have some champagne with them and Debra treated my girlfriend as if she was her best friend. They started chatting as if they knew each other forever and were giggling and joking around. I saw a photographer start shooting pictures of us - so if anyone sees a photo in a gossip column of Debra with some random people (her in a slinky dress, me in a blazer) that's us.

I have to say I was starstruck all night, but realized that yes, these people drink, smoke and go to the bathroom just like the rest of us....

ooh wow that's awesome!

designing jewelry for celebrities?? :sick:

ouizy said:
... me in a blazer...

capt.1034734829.vh1_fashion_awards_nyr117.jpg

:lmao:

Ouizy,

What were your impressions of some of the people you came in contact with? Are they as attractive in person as on camera? Are they friendly or conceited?

More info please :)

I am not a starfucker - I swear

I would have to break down the people into three categories:

1. Huge stars

2. People just getting famous for one reson or another

3. Grunts like me.

The people in category 1 were actually very very nice. They mingled with everyone and were actually really open to conversation (i.e. like Debra and a lot of the models.)

The people in category 2 were actually the more obnoxious of the group. Very pushy, very 'posse' -esque and really not very good people to be near. When they were not getting enough attention, they would do something to attract attention even if it meant looking like an ass. A classic example of this is the Hilton sister fiasco. There are two girls Nicky and Paris Hilton who are the heirs to the Hilton estate. They are at every party, starting a clothing line, and are doing some modelling. They are not the most attractive pair, but when the focus is not on them, they do something like jump on a table, scream, and are usually so drunk that you never know what can happen. The people in category 1 would never do anything like this and what I have found is that they actually try to stay out of the spotlight.

Then there is category 3 which is also broken into two groups, people simply happy and who feel lucky enough to attend this nonsense (like me) and those that push their way in, scream, cry and yell if they do not get what they want, because the believe they deserve to be "inside." shame.

As far as attraction, I have to say a lot of these models are not the prettiest people you have ever seen, but they happen to be 6'3" and weigh at most 100 pounds. That is why they are models, no other reason. But then there are people like Heidi Klum who are just downright gorgeous.

Hugh Grant = pretty short - no taller than 5'10" very attractive (for a man of course)

Debra Messing = adorable

Tyra Banks = absoultely huge, one of the tallest people in the room, and not so slim.

Naomi Campbell - gorgeous

Heather Graham - gorgeous

Pink, well as you can tell from the pic, blechhhhh

Natalie Portman, stunning, yet overly made-up....

I would be taking so many pictures

I dont suppose you and your girlfriend ever take personal pictures at these events or of the two of you all snazzed up?

:mad:

no, when the photographers realize you aren't 'anybody' you get no photos taken. it is funny sometimes watching them trying to figure out if you are 'somebody'...

Yeah but I mean dont you guys ever bring a personal camera to snap some pics??

If you are in any pictures, you should be easy to recognize with that bone in your hair. ;)

Cool stories, ouizy. Thanks for telling us about it.

recovering new yorker here

Sicy said:
Yeah but I mean dont you guys ever bring a personal camera to snap some pics??

:no:

No self-respecting New Yorker would ever do that. They pride themselves on being very blas? about celebs. :p

oh - no.

Firstly, I am really not a hage fan of having photos, I simply like memories. Call it lame, but I never really found a use for photos...

Also - it is kind of frowned upon. Let's say you were a star (I know I know you are one...) you would not want random people to constantly take pictures of you while you were at a party, a place where it is assumed you are allowed to have a good time too...

Sounds very cool. I got Debra Messing's autograph at a taping of "Will & Grace" and she is so completely warm and friendly and way more beautiful in person than she is on TV (and she looks great on TV).

Re: recovering new yorker here

joyfulgirl said:

:no:

No self-respecting New Yorker would ever do that. They pride themselves on being very blas? about celebs. :p

Heehee. I've heard that too.

Darn ouizy, the things you put on your hair always give me a laugh. :D

ouizy -- my friend's friend went to the show as well and her review was a riot. anyways, glad you had fun. not glad you didn't call me and drag me along [next time, next time].

as for the New Yorker blasse to stars reaction, I've gotten so used to just being "whatever" but you still get star struck. How cool are you though? [answer: cool]

ouizy said:
joyfulgirl, I have probably asked you this, but where are you in NY?

I left NYC 5 years ago for the desert Southwest. But I lived in NYC for 15 years in different neighborhoods, but it was the East Village that I considered home. :heart:

ahhhhhhhhhhh

I see.

After visiting Arizona this year, I can see myself going there after NYC as well...

sharky said:

as for the New Yorker blasse to stars reaction, I've gotten so used to just being "whatever" but you still get star struck. How cool are you though? [answer: cool]

Me, queen of blas?, became quite starstruck when I saw Bono sitting at the table next to me at The Bottom Line, circa 1989. I was cool on the outside but inside:

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

:combust: :combust: :combust:

ouizy said:
ahhhhhhhhhhh

I see.

After visiting Arizona this year, I can see myself going there after NYC as well...

New Mexico is better ;)

(ssshh, don't tell Diamond)

Back
Top Bottom