So i saw coldplay tonite... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:54 AM
So i saw coldplay tonite...

... AND WHAT A FUCKING RIPOFF!! Now, i am by no means, some huge coldplay fan, but my girlfriend is, so i got her tickets to their show in san jose for xmas. They played for 90 minutes, counting the time in the encore. Onstage a 9:35, offstage at 11:05. 90 minutes of music for the one hundred sixty er whatever i spent on these tickets!? Bullshit, fucking bullshit. I saw two U2 shows on the vertigo tour, and both went at least 2 hrs. Fionna apple opened and was great, and at 840 she said all of a sudden, after finishin her (what would be her last song) song ," Oh SHIT!!! We gotta go, coldplay is ready and on their way, go pee, have fun, bye, thanx!"

Last couple concerts for me:

Vertigo LA 1: 2hrs, 5 minutes
Vertigo Oak 1: 2 hrs, maybe 10-15 minutes
Ryan Adams: 2 1/2 hrs
My morning jacket: 2 hrs, 10 minutes

I'm noticing a trend here, and its that two hours seems to be the cutoff/golden standard of concert length.

Coldplay is hailed as the next U2 (not bloody likely), but they are three albums in and can't even do a two hour show?! Fuck Chris Martin and his horrible child-naming abilities. It was a horrible show, no one stood up except for maybe three crazy hardcore fans in my section. No emotion from the band, save for maybe one moment during "clocks." They just seemed to be going through the motions and getting it over with. Now, i know i am spoiled by seeing U2 live so many times, but this was just ridiculous. I can't explain how frustrated i am. My girl still had fun, but even she said (having been to all the aforementioned concerts),"what the fuck, that was 90 minutes long... this is coldplay and an arena rock show, thats bs."

Old 02-02-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Cool down.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Re: So i saw coldplay tonite...

Quote:
Originally posted by The_One1932
Coldplay is hailed as the next U2 (not bloody likely), but they are three albums in and can't even do a two hour show?!
Four albums in on the Unforgettable Fire Tour, U2 weren't playing two hour shows. Quite a lot were 90 minutes, and some unedited bootleg recordings even fit on one normal 80 minute CD.

U2 weren't regularly passing the 2 hour mark until ZooTV.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Here in Lisbon, the show was very cool, I like it., and the overwall public seemed to enjoy it too.
I only criticise: the scenary and Chris Martin poses (too U2/Bono-like), the lack of emotion and movement in a few songs and sections of the show where Chris just sits and play piano with the band, that was quite boring. The last element I didn't like is that... three sucessful albums, full of hits, and they only played 16 songs? And the band made the flavour to restar 3 songs because they went wrong.
But the show was cool, people sang the most known songs, Goldfrapp opened and it was enjoyable too.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The_One1932
Fionna apple opened and was great, and at 840 she said all of a sudden, after finishin her (what would be her last song) song ," Oh SHIT!!! We gotta go, coldplay is ready and on their way, go pee, have fun, bye, thanx!"
i'm so happy that she's doing so well playing the arenas.

all the reviews i've read have been really positive.

i have tickets for the coldplay show here in las vegas tomorrow night and she's the only reason i'm going. i won't even stay for coldplay. i saw her two months ago at house of blues and i can't wait to see her again.

my love for her stops just short of worship.

can you tell me how long she played or any of what she played?

got any pictures?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:54 PM
I saw Coldplay last year and was bored to tears - and I've been a fan of their first two albums! Don't know that I'd see them again.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Re: Re: So i saw coldplay tonite...

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Four albums in on the Unforgettable Fire Tour, U2 weren't playing two hour shows. Quite a lot were 90 minutes, and some unedited bootleg recordings even fit on one normal 80 minute CD.

U2 weren't regularly passing the 2 hour mark until ZooTV.
The major difference here is that U2 had not achieved the worldwide popularity that Coldplay has by their first few albums. Once The Joshua Tree really launched U2 into the stratosphere, their shows got longer.

Coldplay's second album launched them into the stratosphere, and they are considered one of the most popular bands on the planet, whether we like them or not. Because of this, I don't think it's too much to ask to play for two hours.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #8
The Fly

Re: Re: Re: So i saw coldplay tonite...

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

The major difference here is that U2 had not achieved the worldwide popularity that Coldplay has by their first few albums. Once The Joshua Tree really launched U2 into the stratosphere, their shows got longer.
Some Joshua Tree shows were actually under or very near 90 minutes and that is after 5 albums.

Coldplay is a different band than U2 despite the fact critics like to peg them as "the next U2". Their music is melodic and well produced like U2 but very mellow...I enjoy listening to it.....BUT it isn't really my idea of rock and roll...

I saw them in a small venue on the X & Y promo tour and even though it was a small club and everyone was standing, it was too mellow for my taste - I expected this ahead of time so I wasn't too disapointed.

If you want to goto a concert to sit down and listen to great music, Coldplay may be for you. If you want to goto a concert to rock out, be uplifted, stir up emotions and get crazy - go see U2 or Green Day or Bruce and the E Street Band etc....

Cheers,
Brady
Old 02-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

And if you want to rock out for three hours, see Bruce.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #10
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
And if you want to rock out for three hours, see Bruce.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 11:54 AM
I saw Coldplay on both the Rush of Blood and X&Y tours. I thought both were good but X&Y was spectactular. They had really improved live. Yes, it was only 90 minutes long (I actually think mine might have 95 or 100, but whatever), but they were some great minutes.

I went with my wife and her parents. She does not like Coldplay's studio work and her parents had never heard them, except for maybe Yellow and Clocks. However, all three of them thought it was outstanding and almost as good as U2, who we saw three days later.

Oh, and Bruce and the E-Street Band kick ass live.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:33 PM   #12
War Child

All I need to know is, did they play Amsterdam?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:54 PM
gotta wait another album to see them play longer!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
War Child

Bah, who cares about Coldplay?

More important, how was the My Morning Jacket concert? They so rock.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

i have tickets for the coldplay show here in las vegas tomorrow night and she's the only reason i'm going. i won't even stay for coldplay. i saw her two months ago at house of blues and i can't wait to see her again.

We're in section U-5, row W! Maybe we can have a pre-show cocktail or something?

Tags
coldplay