So i saw coldplay tonite...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_One1932

Acrobat
... AND WHAT A FUCKING RIPOFF!! Now, i am by no means, some huge coldplay fan, but my girlfriend is, so i got her tickets to their show in san jose for xmas. They played for 90 minutes, counting the time in the encore. Onstage a 9:35, offstage at 11:05. 90 minutes of music for the one hundred sixty er whatever i spent on these tickets!? Bullshit, fucking bullshit. I saw two U2 shows on the vertigo tour, and both went at least 2 hrs. Fionna apple opened and was great, and at 840 she said all of a sudden, after finishin her (what would be her last song) song ," Oh SHIT!!! We gotta go, coldplay is ready and on their way, go pee, have fun, bye, thanx!"

Last couple concerts for me:

Vertigo LA 1: 2hrs, 5 minutes
Vertigo Oak 1: 2 hrs, maybe 10-15 minutes
Ryan Adams: 2 1/2 hrs
My morning jacket: 2 hrs, 10 minutes

I'm noticing a trend here, and its that two hours seems to be the cutoff/golden standard of concert length.

Coldplay is hailed as the next U2 (not bloody likely), but they are three albums in and can't even do a two hour show?! Fuck Chris Martin and his horrible child-naming abilities. It was a horrible show, no one stood up except for maybe three crazy hardcore fans in my section. No emotion from the band, save for maybe one moment during "clocks." They just seemed to be going through the motions and getting it over with. Now, i know i am spoiled by seeing U2 live so many times, but this was just ridiculous. I can't explain how frustrated i am. My girl still had fun, but even she said (having been to all the aforementioned concerts),"what the fuck, that was 90 minutes long... this is coldplay and an arena rock show, thats bs."

The_One1932 said:
Coldplay is hailed as the next U2 (not bloody likely), but they are three albums in and can't even do a two hour show?!

Four albums in on the Unforgettable Fire Tour, U2 weren't playing two hour shows. Quite a lot were 90 minutes, and some unedited bootleg recordings even fit on one normal 80 minute CD.

U2 weren't regularly passing the 2 hour mark until ZooTV.

Here in Lisbon, the show was very cool, I like it., and the overwall public seemed to enjoy it too.
I only criticise: the scenary and Chris Martin poses (too U2/Bono-like), the lack of emotion and movement in a few songs and sections of the show where Chris just sits and play piano with the band, that was quite boring. The last element I didn't like is that... three sucessful albums, full of hits, and they only played 16 songs? And the band made the flavour to restar 3 songs because they went wrong.
But the show was cool, people sang the most known songs, Goldfrapp opened and it was enjoyable too.

The_One1932 said:
Fionna apple opened and was great, and at 840 she said all of a sudden, after finishin her (what would be her last song) song ," Oh SHIT!!! We gotta go, coldplay is ready and on their way, go pee, have fun, bye, thanx!"

i'm so happy that she's doing so well playing the arenas.

all the reviews i've read have been really positive.

i have tickets for the coldplay show here in las vegas tomorrow night and she's the only reason i'm going. i won't even stay for coldplay. i saw her two months ago at house of blues and i can't wait to see her again.

my love for her stops just short of worship.

can you tell me how long she played or any of what she played?

got any pictures? :wink:

I saw Coldplay last year and was bored to tears - and I've been a fan of their first two albums! Don't know that I'd see them again. :no:

Re: Re: So i saw coldplay tonite...

Axver said:

Four albums in on the Unforgettable Fire Tour, U2 weren't playing two hour shows. Quite a lot were 90 minutes, and some unedited bootleg recordings even fit on one normal 80 minute CD.

U2 weren't regularly passing the 2 hour mark until ZooTV.

The major difference here is that U2 had not achieved the worldwide popularity that Coldplay has by their first few albums. Once The Joshua Tree really launched U2 into the stratosphere, their shows got longer.

Coldplay's second album launched them into the stratosphere, and they are considered one of the most popular bands on the planet, whether we like them or not. Because of this, I don't think it's too much to ask to play for two hours.

Re: Re: Re: So i saw coldplay tonite...

phanan said:

The major difference here is that U2 had not achieved the worldwide popularity that Coldplay has by their first few albums. Once The Joshua Tree really launched U2 into the stratosphere, their shows got longer.

Some Joshua Tree shows were actually under or very near 90 minutes and that is after 5 albums.

Coldplay is a different band than U2 despite the fact critics like to peg them as "the next U2". Their music is melodic and well produced like U2 but very mellow...I enjoy listening to it.....BUT it isn't really my idea of rock and roll...

I saw them in a small venue on the X & Y promo tour and even though it was a small club and everyone was standing, it was too mellow for my taste - I expected this ahead of time so I wasn't too disapointed.

If you want to goto a concert to sit down and listen to great music, Coldplay may be for you. If you want to goto a concert to rock out, be uplifted, stir up emotions and get crazy - go see U2 or Green Day or Bruce and the E Street Band etc....

Cheers,
Brady

I saw Coldplay on both the Rush of Blood and X&Y tours. I thought both were good but X&Y was spectactular. They had really improved live. Yes, it was only 90 minutes long (I actually think mine might have 95 or 100, but whatever), but they were some great minutes.

I went with my wife and her parents. She does not like Coldplay's studio work and her parents had never heard them, except for maybe Yellow and Clocks. However, all three of them thought it was outstanding and almost as good as U2, who we saw three days later.

Oh, and Bruce and the E-Street Band kick ass live.

bonosgirl84 said:

i have tickets for the coldplay show here in las vegas tomorrow night and she's the only reason i'm going. i won't even stay for coldplay. i saw her two months ago at house of blues and i can't wait to see her again.

:happy:

We're in section U-5, row W! Maybe we can have a pre-show cocktail or something? :hmm:

i like Coldplay a lot, but don't plan on seeing them live until they have at least 5 albums in them.

Bono's American Wife said:
We're in section U-5, row W! Maybe we can have a pre-show cocktail or something? :hmm:

dooooood!

my sister-in-law is supposedly sending me six tickets so it seems as if i'll have two extra.

they should be arriving fed ex today and if there are, indeed, two extra tickets in there, you guys HAVE to sit with us way down in what i'm assuming will be amazing sony seats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, i mean, you don't have to, but it would be super great if you did!!!!

i was totally going to ask you guys if you'd consider driving out here and offer you the tickets but i was like, nah, it's too short of notice.

this is awesome :hyper:

i'm gonna pm you in case you never see this.

bonosgirl84 said:

dooooood!

my sister-in-law is supposedly sending me six tickets so it seems as if i'll have two extra.

they should be arriving fed ex today and if there are, indeed, two extra tickets in there, you guys HAVE to sit with us way down in what i'm assuming will be amazing sony seats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, i mean, you don't have to, but it would be super great if you did!!!!

i was totally going to ask you guys if you'd consider driving out here and offer you the tickets but i was like, nah, it's too short of notice.

this is awesome :hyper:

i'm gonna pm you in case you never see this.

We are SO there! :heart:

PM answered :wink: :hyper:

mikal said:
i like Coldplay a lot, but don't plan on seeing them live until they have at least 5 albums in them.

I saw them at MSG in 2003.

The only other artists who play an arena better than Coldplay, are U2 and peter Gabriel.

If they are world famous, they must go about two hours, thats the rule in my book.

Fionna was awesome, but really short, 6 or seven songs only, like a 1/2 hour in total. and they made her leave in rushed fashion, like she had no idea it was time to go and that coldplay was gonna come out real soon... not true however. No, no pics unfortunately. She is amazing though, i love her to death, wayyyy better than coldplay.

My Morning Jacket- i saw their filmore shows that they were filming for their new dvd and let me tell you they were amazing. Jim James' voice is in the same realm as bono's and freddie mercury's, and its better live than on the albums which is hard to imagine. As a band, they are like U2 live, not a jam band, but they jam out their songs, add minor changes, mostly play them like they are on the album, but with more emotion. Also like u2, they never depart from sounding like a BAND; when there's a guitar solo, its still the full sound that you hear and not just the solo (think the fly, or until the end of world or bullet). They rock. Another album and they will be world famous, just wait and see.

The_One1932 said:
My Morning Jacket- i saw their filmore shows that they were filming for their new dvd and let me tell you they were amazing. Jim James' voice is in the same realm as bono's and freddie mercury's, and its better live than on the albums which is hard to imagine. As a band, they are like U2 live, not a jam band, but they jam out their songs, add minor changes, mostly play them like they are on the album, but with more emotion. Also like u2, they never depart from sounding like a BAND; when there's a guitar solo, its still the full sound that you hear and not just the solo (think the fly, or until the end of world or bullet). They rock. Another album and they will be world famous, just wait and see.

I can't stop listening to Z.

An amazing album.

U2One said:
All I need to know is, did they play Amsterdam?

At the West Palm Beach show last September Chris played it right after "Everything's Not Lost" :drool: I felt very lucky :yes:

I quite enjoyed Coldplay's live show... and I'm seeing them again in Tampa in March. Perhaps a lot of the enjoyment was due to being front row center in the pit with nothing standing between me and Chris, Johnny, Will, and Guy. And perhaps it was because I was with other Coldplay fans who were as into the band as I was.

To each his own...

Re: Re: Re: So i saw coldplay tonite...

phanan said:

Coldplay's second album launched them into the stratosphere, and they are considered one of the most popular bands on the planet, whether we like them or not. Because of this, I don't think it's too much to ask to play for two hours.

I agree bands should play two hours - in fact, I think 2.5 hours should be the standard - but I don't think popularity really has (or should have) too much to do with how long someone should play. I don't think it's valid to say "you are world famous, so play 2+ hours". It should be "you have enough material and skill to play 2+ hours for the people who have spent their money to listen to you".

Re: Re: Re: Re: So i saw coldplay tonite...

Axver said:

I agree bands should play two hours - in fact, I think 2.5 hours should be the standard - but I don't think popularity really has (or should have) too much to do with how long someone should play. I don't think it's valid to say "you are world famous, so play 2+ hours". It should be "you have enough material and skill to play 2+ hours for the people who have spent their money to listen to you".

I just think that its ridiculous to be doing arena rock shows and not have them last two hours. Its a waste of money. And its not liek coldplay is some great live band either... Wankers....

Neil Young has done 90m shows for years. With longer shows spread for favourtie cities etc..

Although, the Greendale 2003 shows were close to 2.5hr, starting with 100 minutes of the new album.

u2fp

The setlist is too short; they don't play "A Message" or "Low" but maybe "Green Eyes" if you are really lucky; lots of Martin's moves are post-Bono maneuvers; Buckland's guitars are so mystical in an Edge-like manner.

And I saw them in Nashville this past summer, and it didn't bore me to tears; it brought me to tears for the shear emotional power of it.

Now I have tickets to see Coldplay twice this spring; and I hope they will make the setlist longer. For the money and the effort, a real fan craves more. Longer. But that will not be the only criteria I use to judge the show.

I've been seeing live music since I was 12 or 13, and I'm closing towards 40 now, so my estimation that Coldplay put on a great show despite some flaws is my prebuttal to the last snarky comment.

"my song is love,"

Anu

When I saw Beck in October, the show barely hit 90 minutes if that, but I didnt' feel jipped at all. The performance that was there was spot-on, interesting visually and engaging musically, and he had a near perfect setlist, hitting some rare tracks like "He's a Mighty Good Leader," and almost all of the hits and well-known album tracks with the exception of "The New Pollution," "Debra," and "Mixed Bizness." And it was easily some of the most fun I've ever had at a show, despite the brevity. (AND THE TERRIBLE OPENING ACT - Whirlwind Heat. McRory, the second opener, was okay, though).

The_One1932 said:

If they are great to you, you need to see more bands.

Don't be an ass. I have seen U2, Rolling Stones, REM, Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and many others. Coldplay IS great live.

Back
Top Bottom