So i saw coldplay tonite... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:16 AM
i like Coldplay a lot, but don't plan on seeing them live until they have at least 5 albums in them.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #17
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
We're in section U-5, row W! Maybe we can have a pre-show cocktail or something?
dooooood!

my sister-in-law is supposedly sending me six tickets so it seems as if i'll have two extra.

they should be arriving fed ex today and if there are, indeed, two extra tickets in there, you guys HAVE to sit with us way down in what i'm assuming will be amazing sony seats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, i mean, you don't have to, but it would be super great if you did!!!!

i was totally going to ask you guys if you'd consider driving out here and offer you the tickets but i was like, nah, it's too short of notice.

this is awesome

i'm gonna pm you in case you never see this.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #18
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

dooooood!

my sister-in-law is supposedly sending me six tickets so it seems as if i'll have two extra.

they should be arriving fed ex today and if there are, indeed, two extra tickets in there, you guys HAVE to sit with us way down in what i'm assuming will be amazing sony seats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, i mean, you don't have to, but it would be super great if you did!!!!

i was totally going to ask you guys if you'd consider driving out here and offer you the tickets but i was like, nah, it's too short of notice.

this is awesome

i'm gonna pm you in case you never see this.

We are SO there!

PM answered
Old 02-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mikal
i like Coldplay a lot, but don't plan on seeing them live until they have at least 5 albums in them.
I saw them at MSG in 2003.

The only other artists who play an arena better than Coldplay, are U2 and peter Gabriel.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #20
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:16 AM
If they are world famous, they must go about two hours, thats the rule in my book.

Fionna was awesome, but really short, 6 or seven songs only, like a 1/2 hour in total. and they made her leave in rushed fashion, like she had no idea it was time to go and that coldplay was gonna come out real soon... not true however. No, no pics unfortunately. She is amazing though, i love her to death, wayyyy better than coldplay.

My Morning Jacket- i saw their filmore shows that they were filming for their new dvd and let me tell you they were amazing. Jim James' voice is in the same realm as bono's and freddie mercury's, and its better live than on the albums which is hard to imagine. As a band, they are like U2 live, not a jam band, but they jam out their songs, add minor changes, mostly play them like they are on the album, but with more emotion. Also like u2, they never depart from sounding like a BAND; when there's a guitar solo, its still the full sound that you hear and not just the solo (think the fly, or until the end of world or bullet). They rock. Another album and they will be world famous, just wait and see.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by The_One1932
My Morning Jacket- i saw their filmore shows that they were filming for their new dvd and let me tell you they were amazing. Jim James' voice is in the same realm as bono's and freddie mercury's, and its better live than on the albums which is hard to imagine. As a band, they are like U2 live, not a jam band, but they jam out their songs, add minor changes, mostly play them like they are on the album, but with more emotion. Also like u2, they never depart from sounding like a BAND; when there's a guitar solo, its still the full sound that you hear and not just the solo (think the fly, or until the end of world or bullet). They rock. Another album and they will be world famous, just wait and see.
I can't stop listening to Z.

An amazing album.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #22
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2One
All I need to know is, did they play Amsterdam?

At the West Palm Beach show last September Chris played it right after "Everything's Not Lost" I felt very lucky

I quite enjoyed Coldplay's live show... and I'm seeing them again in Tampa in March. Perhaps a lot of the enjoyment was due to being front row center in the pit with nothing standing between me and Chris, Johnny, Will, and Guy. And perhaps it was because I was with other Coldplay fans who were as into the band as I was.

To each his own...
Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #23
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Re: Re: Re: So i saw coldplay tonite...

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

The major difference here is that U2 had not achieved the worldwide popularity that Coldplay has by their first few albums. Once The Joshua Tree really launched U2 into the stratosphere, their shows got longer.

Coldplay's second album launched them into the stratosphere, and they are considered one of the most popular bands on the planet, whether we like them or not. Because of this, I don't think it's too much to ask to play for two hours.
I agree bands should play two hours - in fact, I think 2.5 hours should be the standard - but I don't think popularity really has (or should have) too much to do with how long someone should play. I don't think it's valid to say "you are world famous, so play 2+ hours". It should be "you have enough material and skill to play 2+ hours for the people who have spent their money to listen to you".

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #24
Acrobat

Re: Re: Re: Re: So i saw coldplay tonite...

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I agree bands should play two hours - in fact, I think 2.5 hours should be the standard - but I don't think popularity really has (or should have) too much to do with how long someone should play. I don't think it's valid to say "you are world famous, so play 2+ hours". It should be "you have enough material and skill to play 2+ hours for the people who have spent their money to listen to you".
I just think that its ridiculous to be doing arena rock shows and not have them last two hours. Its a waste of money. And its not liek coldplay is some great live band either... Wankers....
Old 02-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Neil Young has done 90m shows for years. With longer shows spread for favourtie cities etc..

Although, the Greendale 2003 shows were close to 2.5hr, starting with 100 minutes of the new album.

u2fp
Old 02-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:16 AM
I've seen coldplay live many times... I had a great time. They are a great live band
Old 02-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #27
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22
I've seen coldplay live many times... I had a great time. They are a great live band
If they are great to you, you need to see more bands.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #28
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 07:16 AM
The setlist is too short; they don't play "A Message" or "Low" but maybe "Green Eyes" if you are really lucky; lots of Martin's moves are post-Bono maneuvers; Buckland's guitars are so mystical in an Edge-like manner.

And I saw them in Nashville this past summer, and it didn't bore me to tears; it brought me to tears for the shear emotional power of it.

Now I have tickets to see Coldplay twice this spring; and I hope they will make the setlist longer. For the money and the effort, a real fan craves more. Longer. But that will not be the only criteria I use to judge the show.

I've been seeing live music since I was 12 or 13, and I'm closing towards 40 now, so my estimation that Coldplay put on a great show despite some flaws is my prebuttal to the last snarky comment.

"my song is love,"

Anu
Old 02-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

When I saw Beck in October, the show barely hit 90 minutes if that, but I didnt' feel jipped at all. The performance that was there was spot-on, interesting visually and engaging musically, and he had a near perfect setlist, hitting some rare tracks like "He's a Mighty Good Leader," and almost all of the hits and well-known album tracks with the exception of "The New Pollution," "Debra," and "Mixed Bizness." And it was easily some of the most fun I've ever had at a show, despite the brevity. (AND THE TERRIBLE OPENING ACT - Whirlwind Heat. McRory, the second opener, was okay, though).
Old 02-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The_One1932

If they are great to you, you need to see more bands.
Don't be an ass. I have seen U2, Rolling Stones, REM, Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and many others. Coldplay IS great live.

Tags
coldplay