So I just heard 'The Widow' by Mars Volta...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
First three minutes:...okay I guess. Sounds a lot like 'Forget Her' by Jeff Buckley which may be why I liked it....
Last three minutes:...that's three minutes of my life I want back NOW.

I'm sorry, but why do people start jumping up and down waving their arms going on about how 'different' and 'progressive' this stuff is?! I enjoy that kind of sound-making from the early Floyd, but with the Mars Volta it just gets dull and tiring and sounds very much like they just tacked on 3 minutes of random crap for the sake of it. If it was in the tune, maybe...(!) But just putting three minutes of hoots and spoooky sounds is boring, self-indulgent and overall...BAD.

I guess you just have to be in "that place" to enjoy it. I love TMV, their live shows are unbelievable and their albums are great. No other band plays as well as them. They're very organic and don't play straight pop songs. Their sound and style are different, and they may not be your cup of tea.

And "The Widow" is not a good place to start with them. You kind of have to listen to one of their albums all the way through. It took me 10 listens before "Deloused in the Comatorium" blew my mind.

I've tried, honestly tried, to get into them. Have listened to Comatorium and Frances 10 times each probably.

I still don't see what all the hype is about.

Yeah, they're hard to listen to. Comatorium was hard, but after I developed the taste, Frances was easily best album of this year. The last song is 30 minutes well spent. :)

Funny story: I ran into Rick Rubin, literally, in The Staples center bathroom entrance at the U2 show during the Elevation Tour. He was so fat that I had to back up to let him out. Uh, that's it. OK, lame story.

MARS VOLTA are one of the few new bands worth a listen to, no matter who they might ahve 'ripped off' they made a soudn that is ultimately their own
:up:

over produced? umm....sure....:uhoh::lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom