so I compiled a tori amos sample cd for a friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
and this is the tracklist:

1 Silent All These Years
from Little Earthquakes

2 Precious Things
from Little Earthquakes

3 Pretty Good Year
from Under The Pink

4 The Waitress
from Under The Pink

5 Cornflake Girl
from Under The Pink

6 Father Lucifer
from Boys For Pele

7 Marianne
from Boys For Pele

8 Spark
from The Choirgirl Hotel

9 Jackie's Strength
from The Choirgirl Hotel

10 Bliss
from To Venus And Back

11 1000 Oceans
from To Venus And Back

I also included lyrics and tori quotes for selected songs. This list is by no means Tori's best or most representative of her music, but I did try to strike a balance between her 'wild' and 'soft' songs.

I am just a Toriphile... You could ask me anything about her, I think I'd know.

foray

hm. If you liked Real Men, that means you like the melodic sweet side of Tori (although her lyrics are seldom sweet). The other melodic songs on that album are Time, Strange Little Girl (but this one sounds conventional) and I Don't Like Mondays. For diversity, go for '97 Bonnie & Clyde which is a remake of Slim Shady's. But she sings it from the mother's (yeah the lady dead in the car trunk) point of view, not the dad's.

foray

foray,

What do you think of Strange Little Girls? Due to $ constraints, I haven't bought it yet, but my birthday is coming up, and I was thinking of asking for it.

How does it compare with her original work?

bam bam, truly??!!! arrrrrrgh, I don't have Jay Leno or cable! Wow... Tori is amazing live.

HeartlandGirl, I haven't warmed up to Strange Little Girls as much as I'd liked to yet; I think that's mainly because there's not as much piano in it as her other albums. SLG is also a very conceptual album, as you may have gathered, so that may make it seem more removed than her very personal albums. To be honest, I'm puzzled why Neil Gaiman called SLG her 'most personal album to date'. Btw, SLG is a sort of feminist album where she points out the male chauvinism in iconic rock songs.

There are some gems on the album, like the ones I mentioned to brettig. The other songs have more electronica and weird sounds (King Crimson's guitarist plays on this one) and voice clips in it. Happiness Is A Warm Gun has become a statement against guns; she has completely reversed the meaning of this Beatles song.

I think there's a lot of experimentation with this album, therefore I don't have any 'rules' to judge it by, ya know? Because there's no other album like this one. No one else has done such a thing before. I think you'll just have to judge for yourself; I don't wanna give too many things away for fear of giving you preconceptions.

My personal favourites are '97 Bonnie & Clyde, New Age and Real Men. '97 Bonnie & Clyde is a very haunting song; it gave me the creeps the first time I heard it. Tori talks this song through, she doesn't really sing. New Age builds up very nicely from a silent soundscape to an exciting climax. Real Men is a very good closer to the album, it's a rather 'pretty' song, if you know what I mean.

You will love the photos in the album sleeve!

If you're not willing to spend money on it, by all means, get your friends to buy it for your birthday
smile.gif
I think it is worth having especially if you're a Tori fan... I think it's always interesting to note which direction her career is going, musically.

foray

foray

I've never heard any of Tori Amos' music.

Something tells me I should check her out...

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Hermes: On Leno, I unfortunately only caught the last 5-10 seconds of the song. But she did talk to Jay for a minute or two. They mainly discussed the name of her daughter Natasha.

Wish I'd caught the whole thing.

And thanks, foray, for the info about SLG. I'll see if I can't get it added to my birthday wish list.

And yes, anyone who has not heard Tori should at least give her a try. Maybe foray would make you a CD!
biggrin.gif

As UnforgettableLemon has noted, Tori gets prettier every year
smile.gif

Sorry for calling you bam bam, Bamarama (that's ok right).

Bonochick, start with Boys For Pele if you like brooding stuff. Little Earthquakes a good place to start as well.

foray

My friend is a big fantasy fan, and a big Tori fan, and he has this picture a friend gave him that some fantasy artist painted of Tori as an elf. I was looking for it but I couldn't find it.

Originally posted by foray:

Bonochick, start with Boys For Pele if you like brooding stuff. Little Earthquakes a good place to start as well.

Thanks! Perhaps they will go on my Christmas list.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Back
Top Bottom