So how rich are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
http://www.globalrichlist.com/

I have always known that living in North America has provided huge advantages in life and that my problems are not that bad compared to the problems of billions of other people. It puts things in perspective. Very sobering.

I edited it because I didn't want this to be a look how rich I am thread. I just thought it would be interesting for people to get a little perspective on their own situation.:wink:

Last edited:
I am in the the top 2.71% richest people in the world.

There are 5,837,391,304 people poorer than me.

So I am poorer than you trevster! :madspit:

:wink:

I am in the top 0.827% richest people in the world.
There are 5,950,350,435 people poorer than me.

Yet, I live paycheck to paycheck and have very little to show for it. I guess they don't take into account where you live and how far the dollar goes.

I don't think it's fair to compare people in the US or other industrialized countries with third world nations. People always say how poor they are and how if they had even our lowest wages they'd be rich, but you have to consider that their lifestyles and standard of living are different. While 8 buck and hour may let them live well there, in the US you cannot survive due to the high cost of living since most everyone else is better off and prices are high. They should at least pro-rate it by their economy or something.

I am in the top 0.366% richest people in the world.

Kick ass! Although that is sad.

U2Kitten said:
I don't think it's fair to compare people in the US or other industrialized countries with third world nations. People always say how poor they are and how if they had even our lowest wages they'd be rich, but you have to consider that their lifestyles and standard of living are different. While 8 buck and hour may let them live well there, in the US you cannot survive due to the high cost of living since most everyone else is better off and prices are high. They should at least pro-rate it by their economy or something.

I must agree. According to this I am in the top .6% of the richest people and I am in debt and live paycheck to paycheck.

mattgerth said:

Yet, I live paycheck to paycheck and have very little to show for it. I guess they don't take into account where you live and how far the dollar goes.

There's 600,000,000 people richer than me:wink:

U2SavesTheWorld said:
You are in the top 0.378% richest people in the world.
There are 5,977,275,435 people poorer than you.

:|

You see, this where you should be grateful.

mattgerth said:

Indeed

You are in the top 12.71% richest people in the world.
There are 5,237,024,579 people poorer than you.

Including everyone in this thread. :lol:

My gosh Meggie you must be loaded. I put in my husband's salary of $53,000 per year and still didn't break 1%. Zero Dude, are you Bono?

Tiny Dancer and Youtwohearts, me too. I not only live paycheck to paycheck I am lucky I don't die before the next one!

U2Kitten said:
My gosh Meggie you must be loaded. I put in my husband's salary of $53,000 per year and still didn't break 1%.

no, it works the other way - if you got a result saying you're in the top 0.5% (for example) richest people in the world, you're richer than a person who's result was being in the top 12% (as meggie posted) richest people in the world.

my and hubby combined .83% richest

yeah...were just livin' it up in our 900 sq foot house, 1 broken down truck and a Saturn Vue:lmao:

U2Kitten said:

but what you're ignoring is that many millions of people in the third world nations you refer to are living without so much as clean water, let alone the many commodities that even the majority of extremely poor people in the united states have access to. i would never make light of the fact that many people in the us live in appalling conditions, with terrible quality housing, not enough to eat, no meaningful education and healthcare, etc. but at the same time, that's not comparable to living in, for example, niger, and quite literally seeing people starving to death around you, or living in rwanda and having to walk twelve miles a day for clean water.

Great link:up:

I was in the top 14.64%. I cannot believe that people can survive on less than I earn, regardless of what country they live in.

U2Kitten said:
My gosh Meggie you must be loaded. I put in my husband's salary of $53,000 per year and still didn't break 1%. Zero Dude, are you Bono?

I think someone misread what I posted.

I still rely heavily on my parents:|

Which isn't too bad, seeing as I'm not that old;)

FizzingWhizzbees said:

but what you're ignoring is that many millions of people in the third world nations you refer to are living without so much as clean water, let alone the many commodities that even the majority of extremely poor people in the united states have access to.

I have personally known people in America who had no indoor plumbing. They washed their kids' hair and brushed their teeth in the bathroom sink and Burger King. They weren't poor enough for welfare, but too poor to pay for the major repairs needed to the pipes inside the walls. I also have personally given food to people who were too poor to feed their kids, their electricity was out and tjeir car that didn't run. It is worse to be poor in America where most people aren't, it's humiliating to the kids.

13.69% for me (not taking into account the $40,000 debt)

And as for the poor in America vs. the poor elsewhere, trust me, I've been elsewhere, and even the poorest of the "poor" here in the states don't come close. Not having indoor plumbing and having a run-down car is not "poor", it sucks. If you even HAVE a car that needs repair or HAVE a house that needs repair, you're still 10 times better off than most of the rest of the world. Living in a shack made of scrap metal and cow dung, walking 6 miles each way to get a bucket of stagnant water so you can wipe flies off your baby's face, and having to choose which child to give the watered down soup to....that's poor.

It is worse to be poor in America where most people aren't, it's humiliating to the kids.

I see what you're saying, but I completely disagree. Spend even a few minutes in third world Africa and you will change your mind so fast....

You are in the top 14.27% richest people in the world.
There are 5,143,751,617 people poorer than you.

Me and my $7000 CAD a year. Yeee. Which, alike things being equal, would mean I'd be going hungry every month were it not for the fact I live at home - either that, or I wouldn't be in school, one of the two.

Back
Top Bottom