So how rich are you? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Maybe some of you lecturing types have never been in the situation people I have known have been in or you wouldn't talk so much and preach that they have no problems compared to somebody in a mud hut.
Nobody's denying the difficulty of being poor in the Us (or anywhere on earth), but you can't accuse people of not knowing what it's like when you yourself have no idea what it's like to live in a mud hut. How can you say living without running water and having no working car is worst that the poverty in Africa when you've only seen one side?

Fortunately, I doubt there's many people here that have experienced both types of poverty.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:39 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Bottom line: we are wealthy enough to discuss this issue while sitting comfortably behind our computers.....

Old 10-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Bottom line: we are wealthy enough to discuss this issue while sitting comfortably behind our computers.....
But it's more humiliating for those behind really old computers.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:50 PM
It is good to be a gardener in old europe,...

You are in the top 11.01% richest people in the world.
There are 5,338,835,705 people poorer than you.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
Also, these statistics don't factor in cost-of-living. The COL in the US is much higher than the rest of the world, so it's possible to be "rich" according to this site, but still be under financial pressure.
The most expensive city in the US (New York) is barely in the top ten most expensive cities in the world.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

The most expensive city in the US (New York) is barely in the top ten most expensive cities in the world.
True. But the average cost of living is still higher in the US than the avg. cost of living elsewhere.

I'd be curious to see the list of most expensive cities. I'm guessing Hong Kong, Paris, and London make the list?

London is insanely pricely. You might as well stand on the street corner and just hand out pound notes.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:03 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You are in the top 12.61% richest people in the world.
There are 5,243,104,786 people poorer than you.

...not including the $75,000 debt

aah, the life of a student
I'm thankful I even have the opportunity to be here, though.

edit: I went ahead and looked up the top ten most expensive cities worldwide...

1. Tokyo, Japan
2. Osaka, Japan
3. London, England
4. Moscow, Russia
5. Seoul, South Korea
6. Geneva, Switzerland
7. Zurich, Switzerland
8. Copenhagen, Denmark
9. Hong Kong, China
10. Oslo, Norway

http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm
Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Nobody's denying the difficulty of being poor in the Us (or anywhere on earth), but you can't accuse people of not knowing what it's like when you yourself have no idea what it's like to live in a mud hut. How can you say living without running water and having no working car is worst that the poverty in Africa when you've only seen one side?

Fortunately, I doubt there's many people here that have experienced both types of poverty.
I am NOT saying it's not worse, I'm saying by OUR STANDARDS it's worse to be poor in the US than there because more people are living well here so life is harder for the poor because the cost of living is so high. People who live in places where nobody has anything don't have to deal with that. It is harder to have no plumbing and no car in a society where most people live comfortably than to live in a mud hut where everyone else has one too. And I bet a lot of them have a better attitude toward life than most US poor do, too.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:11 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I'm not comfortable I'm cold....and tired.

They have thier problems...we have ours.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't know where my family stands exactly on that, let's just say my little brother asked my dad if we were middle class and he replied "barely." It is true that poverty in the first world is different than poverty in the "third world"...my family's income probably puts us in the top 10%, but we've still had to deal with unemployment, debt, foreclosure, eviction, etc. (worst of all, our car is 20 years old! the horror)...there's no reason to pretend there are no hardships in the US and other rich nations.

At the same time, I think it's important to remember that I'm sitting in front of a computer complaining about stuff, wearing nice warm fuzzy pajamas, after just eating a nice spaghetti dinner...it simply doesn't compare to having to make a 10 hour round trip each day to get a bucket of water.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

At the same time, I think it's important to remember that I'm sitting in front of a computer complaining about stuff, wearing nice warm fuzzy pajamas, after just eating a nice spaghetti dinner...it simply doesn't compare to having to make a 10 hour round trip each day to get a bucket of water.
Exactly!

Old 10-19-2005, 11:25 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

I am NOT saying it's not worse, I'm saying by OUR STANDARDS it's worse to be poor in the US than there because more people are living well here so life is harder for the poor because the cost of living is so high. People who live in places where nobody has anything don't have to deal with that. It is harder to have no plumbing and no car in a society where most people live comfortably than to live in a mud hut where everyone else has one too. And I bet a lot of them have a better attitude toward life than most US poor do, too.
Not by my standards, it's not. And for those who have the above said "standards", they're simply wrong.

Have you ever been to any of these places you're talking about or know people that have experienced that kind of a life?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:26 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug

You might as well stand on the street corner and just hand out pound notes.
...except they're coins. If they were notes, I'd probably spend less because I feel compelled to get rid of change and am more reluctant to spend notes.

Even when I entered the highest salary I earned when I lived in the US, I was only in the top 5.07%, which is much lower than many in this thread who say they're living from paycheck to paycheck. I lived pretty comfortably on that salary except for the fact that I was saving up to move here (I saved 50-60% of each paycheck, though), and I lived in DC which has a pretty high cost of living. I guess I can understand how those who have kids are spending much more than I did, but I can't figure out where is everyone else's money could be going. This isn't a criticism or a judgment; I'm just genuinely perplexed when people who make twice as much as I do/did always seem to drain their bank account each month. I feel like I must be forgetting to pay something.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:13 AM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:50 PM
matt 6:21

db9
Old 10-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I make $3,200 a year on my Peace Corps income. That puts me in in the top 14.72%% richest people in the world with
5,116,326,002 people poorer than me.

Overall I can't complain. I see real poverty on a daily basis here in Africa. Not to preach at you all, but no matter how poor you think you are in the US, it's almost like you live in an entirely different universe. Luxury unimaginable to the majority of people living in the rest of the world. So take heart and be thankful that you don't have to walk 20 miles in the hot sun to spend your hard earned pennies for malaria medicine for your dying child. That you have clean water to drink and access to education. That you even have a car to complain about the gas prices.