So how rich are you? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2005, 10:43 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:45 AM
I'm hood rich

Old 10-18-2005, 11:07 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 02:45 PM
You are in the top 0.887% richest people in the world.
There are 5,946,760,435 people poorer than you.

Must be all of the OT!

Old 10-18-2005, 11:14 PM   #33
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:45 PM
can this please not get into a first world poverty versus third world poverty debate? it's apples to oranges.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:15 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Well, remember, this is a site designed to get you to donate money, so of course they want to make you feel rich.

Americans are indeed lucky, though. Even someone making minimum wage here is in the top 5% worldwide.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:37 PM   #35
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
can this please not get into a first world poverty versus third world poverty debate? it's apples to oranges.
Quite so.

Treat like things equally, and different things differently (though those different things must also be treated equally to other similar different things).

People should still donate money, though, because actions speak louder than words. Even if, as Emerson said, "they aren't my poor" this doesn't preclude doing something decent for another human being.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #36
War Child

Local Time: 07:45 AM
My results:
You are in the top 0.695% richest people in the world.
There are 5,958,248,435 people poorer than you.

I give quite a lot to charity but most of it is locally
Old 10-18-2005, 11:58 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
It is worse to be poor in America where most people aren't, it's humiliating to the kids.
riiiiiiight.

i can't get over how some people think that being poor, in terms of international poverty, means not being able to fix your car or pay off your credit cards. not to belittle those of us who are struggling financially, but the vast majority of the poor in industrialized nations at least have access to basic survival needs like shelter, food, running water, public education, and basic medical care.

the poorest among us are rich by international standards, and that was the whole point of this thread.

you want to talk about humiliation? look at sudan, where millions of people have been forcibly displaced from their homes and live in squalor in refugee camps. look at burma or moldova, where many families agnoizingly decide to sell their women and children to traffickers to be able to afford food for a couple of weeks, maybe a month or two. look at india, where the dalits still live as social outcasts in makeshift shacks in sewer filled slums.

it's worse to be poor in america, you say? perhaps you should try to walk a mile in someone else's shoes and realize how lucky you are to have what you have, precious little as it may seem by times.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:04 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Wonderful to see a great discussion here. Here a couple of pics of the Kibera slum in Nairobi, Kenya. I saw a double page spread picture of the this place in National Geographic where 800,000 people live in shacks with open sewers. 800,000, that is a staggering number.

I can appreciate the comments of people who still live check to check as most of us do but I didn't post the link to pressure anyone to give money, I just hoped it would let us all appreciate how fortunate many of us are to live where we live. The poor people in this slum would love to have the worst problems we have with money.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:15 AM   #39
Refugee

You are in the top 0.843% richest people in the world.
There are 5,949,373,955 people poorer than you.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:37 AM   #40
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 01:45 PM
I am by no means rich, but I treasure and am proud of everything that I do have.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:40 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy

riiiiiiight.

i can't get over how some people think that being poor, in terms of international poverty, means not being able to fix your car or pay off your credit cards. not to belittle those of us who are struggling financially, but the vast majority of the poor in industrialized nations at least have access to basic survival needs like shelter, food, running water, public education, and basic medical care.

the poorest among us are rich by international standards, and that was the whole point of this thread.
That's why I said it's not right to judge industrialized nations by comparing them to third world nations, because the lifestyles and standards are so different there IS a different degree of poverty in our lives.

Maybe some of you lecturing types have never been in the situation people I have known have been in or you wouldn't talk so much and preach that they have no problems compared to somebody in a mud hut. If we could see those mud huts around us everyday we might feel more fortunate, but having to deal with the affluence of the general public makes you feel, and be, poor, by OUR standards, and those are the ones we have to live with.

I also saw a documentary where poor people were complaining about preachy western activists, mostly college kids with wealthy parents, were crusading against 'sweat shops' in their area until they got them shut down. One girl said that after the sweat shop left, girls as young as 11 had to turn to prositution to make up the money they lost. The girl said people in the west do not understand the different standards (which is where I got the idea!) and that what we consider a slave driving sweat shop with low pay is the best job in town to them, and they don't want to lose it.

Now, of course this is not okay to exploit the poor like this. It also takes away jobs in America as factories can pay these poor kids a fraction of what our labor laws demand. But it happens, and the way things are, they appreciate the money. If I could reform the entire world, for everyone, boy would I. I'm no communist, but I don't think it's right for one person to sit there on millions or billions of dollars while millions of other people can barely survive. Couldn't they do with like 10 million and give the rest to help others? I would. I was thinking last night if I hit the powerball, I'd end up broke because I feel so sorry for the poor I'd give too much away. The wrong people in this world are rich.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

That's why I said it's not right to judge industrialized nations by comparing them to third world nations, because the lifestyles and standards are so different there IS a different degree of poverty in our lives.

Maybe some of you lecturing types have never been in the situation...
Do you even see the hypocricy in your statements? Telling people they can't compare yet you say things like this:

Quote:
It is worse to be poor in America where most people aren't, it's humiliating to the kids.
They can't compare them, but you can?

But since this isn't FYM I won't go any further for this isn't the forum for it.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

You are in the top 7.22% richest people in the world.
There are 5,566,727,941 people poorer than you.

I understand that by doing this, I should put my financial troubles in perspective. Yes, I'm well aware that there are people in the world who are far worse off than I am and to complain about my situation compared to theirs seems trivial. But that does not mean my family and I aren't under alot of financial stress right now.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:45 PM
You are in the top 12.39% richest people in the world.
There are 5,256,041,397 people poorer than you.

Uh, yay recreation major?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Also, these statistics don't factor in cost-of-living. The COL in the US is much higher than the rest of the world, so it's possible to be "rich" according to this site, but still be under financial pressure.

There are lies, damn lies, and then statistics...