So, how bad is The Pianist? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2003, 11:36 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:26 PM
and yes, what sharky said

Old 03-28-2003, 01:05 PM   #32
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 09:26 PM
well... to add my two bits... it was good... very different from Schindler's List, but still hard to take. There is a lot of death and suffering in the movie martha. If you can't handle that kind of stuff, I don't care how great people think the movie is, don't subject yourself to it.
There are people dead on the streets being stepped over... some bodies having been there for weeks if you get my drift. While the movie focuses more on the character played by Adrian Brody and his struggle through the war.... there are definately still very hard to take moments.

Old 03-28-2003, 01:11 PM   #33
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:26 AM
I'd love to see it too and will. I think people should leave their prejudices behind and see it for what it is.

Morally superior people really tend to irritate me
Old 03-28-2003, 01:22 PM   #34
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cloudimani
Morally superior people really tend to irritate me
Not supporting child molesters is being morally superior?
Old 03-28-2003, 01:28 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:26 PM
No, but implying that it's actually wrong to see a movie because you find the director morally reprehensible is. That may not be what you're intending, but to me that's how it's coming off.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:29 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not saying I won't ever see the movie. I plan to see it if they show it on cable. I just have a problem with giving money to child rapists - especially those who have the gall to whine about how they are being "tortured" by the judicial system.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:32 PM   #37
Acrobat

its nothing to do with supporting child molestors. Its about looking at something for what it is. Besides the person in question bears no grudge against Polanski and has said as much, I'm not sure why the rest of society should either.

I wouldnt object so much to people making such comments if I thought for one moment they would always speak and act with the same level of integrity with everyone.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:33 PM   #38
Blue Meth Addict

Anyone can go see the movie who wants to. I really wasnt trying to say that. I understand what you mean though, it probably did sound that way. Some of my friends went and saw it, I didnt even say anything to them. It's all good. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:58 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by cloudimani
its nothing to do with supporting child molestors. Its about looking at something for what it is. Besides the person in question bears no grudge against Polanski and has said as much, I'm not sure why the rest of society should either.

I wouldnt object so much to people making such comments if I thought for one moment they would always speak and act with the same level of integrity with everyone.
The person bears no grudge because she spent a good deal of her life 'dealing' with it and believes it's healthy now to just get on with life--or so she said in a recent interview. That's not to say she wasn't damaged. I don't understand your point about speaking and acting with the same level of integrity...we're simply expressing that it's kind of disgusting that a known child rapist has never had to serve time for his crime, though I've no doubt he served in other ways. I can feel that way and still appreciate the art of the film, which I really liked.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:01 PM   #40
Acrobat

I wasnt trying to condone his actions, nor excuse them. I think crimes against children, especially of this nature are probably the most awful that can be commited.

I just dont think his art should be judged by the same standards as his personality thats all
Old 03-28-2003, 03:04 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

i don't think people who choose not to see the pianist are judging polanski by his personality. i just don't think they want to support someone who committed a crime against a child and then never paid for that crime.

that being said, i still very much want to see this film, despite what i think of polanski.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:55 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Not to defend Roman Polanski, but the girl who was molested says that we should judge the film on the basis of its merit and not his crimes. Kind of puzzling; it appears that she is more annoyed that this is still going on, rather than angry at Polanski. Apparently, she wasn't even interested in getting the authorities involved when it happened. Polanski is a fugitive, though, and will likely never re-enter the U.S., because he will get arrested.

I, myself, am not interested in seeing the film. I've had my fill of Holocaust films.

Melon
Old 03-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Trust the art, not the artist.

http://forum2.interference.com/showt...threadid=73741
Old 03-28-2003, 05:40 PM   #44
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
i don't think people who choose not to see the pianist are judging polanski by his personality. i just don't think they want to support someone who committed a crime against a child and then never paid for that crime.
Thank you, flower.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:06 PM   #45
She's the One

Local Time: 05:26 PM
The scene in The Killing Field that made me leave the theater in tears and not go back in wasn't the dead bodies. It was the columns of Cambodians leaving their country. I couldn't finish the movie. I waited outside in the lobby.

Thanks for all the opinions on the film. I'm still considering it for this weekend. The problem is that The Man is out of town again, so I'm on my own in the middle of the night.