so few can make such a loud disturbing statement - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2002, 06:29 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:32 PM

Won't it ever stop???

What's going on - why this year??? why not in years past??? Has patriotism really gotten to the point that it now borders on fanaticism and xenophobia???

Old 05-02-2002, 06:51 PM   #2
Acrobat

OK, first off, I have yet to find this story documented by any other news source and secondly WHO CARES?? A few drunk fans might have done something stupid after hockey game!!! I highly doubt that they were intentionally trying to start an international incident. I remember a few years back when Vanouver lost in the Finals and the fans practicly torched the entire city. I think it's really time that we all get over this. As for the four soldiers killed, yes it wass a tragedy BUT WE ARE AT WAR!!!! It may sound harsh, but mistakes happen!!! Jeez, get over it guys, there is no anti-canadien sentiment here in the states.
I'm not saying that burning a flag is right, and I am not justifying these alleged actions in any way but I also would think that we are all rational enough to understand that the actions of a few are not representitive of the many. This caandian propaganda that claims this anti-canadien bias is getting old.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

[This message has been edited by Zooropa (edited 05-02-2002).]

Old 05-02-2002, 08:39 PM   #3
Banned

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

Won't it ever stop???

What's going on - why this year??? why not in years past??? Has patriotism really gotten to the point that it now borders on fanaticism and xenophobia???
I don't think it has anything to do with patriotism nor do I think they were being xenophobic.

If it were a Chicago Red Wings flag hanging from the car, they would have burned that too.

CK
Old 05-02-2002, 08:59 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropa:
OK, first off, I have yet to find this story documented by any other news source and secondly WHO CARES?? A few drunk fans might have done something stupid after hockey game!!! I highly doubt that they were intentionally trying to start an international incident. I remember a few years back when Vanouver lost in the Finals and the fans practicly torched the entire city. I think it's really time that we all get over this. As for the four soldiers killed, yes it wass a tragedy BUT WE ARE AT WAR!!!! It may sound harsh, but mistakes happen!!! Jeez, get over it guys, there is no anti-canadien sentiment here in the states.
I'm not saying that burning a flag is right, and I am not justifying these alleged actions in any way but I also would think that we are all rational enough to understand that the actions of a few are not representitive of the many. This caandian propaganda that claims this anti-canadien bias is getting old.

i don't think anyone ever suggested there was an anti-canadian sentiment.
there is definetely a marked change in the mindset of some for whatever reason this year. it all started with a sizable portion of fans in the silverdome jeering the canadian anthem before game 1 of the pistons-raptors series.

as for 'who cares?', i think you are being fairly ignorant of canada in that statement zooropa. i'm canadian and i care.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:26 PM   #5
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:

i don't think anyone ever suggested there was an anti-canadian sentiment.
there is definetely a marked change in the mindset of some for whatever reason this year. it all started with a sizable portion of fans in the silverdome jeering the canadian anthem before game 1 of the pistons-raptors series.

as for 'who cares?', i think you are being fairly ignorant of canada in that statement zooropa. i'm canadian and i care.
I would just like to preface my response with one thing kobayashi, I actually enjoy your posts, they are well thought, articulate and intelligent. I don't want you to feel that just becasue I happen to disagree with a lot of them, that I have anything against you or that I am trying to start a problem (ala some others). With that said, I have agreed with you about the classless actions of BOTH canadians AND Americans when it comes to the jeering of National Anthems. I do believe however, that it is more of a reaction against the team than the country, which it seems that some people have a problem understanding. As for the who cares comment, I stand by it, So a few drunk New Yorkers burned a Canadian flag, SO WHAT!!! It's not right but I seem to recall that during the Vietnam era, Many prominent Canadian Universities held anti-war demonstrations that involved US flag burnings, which to me is a far more condemible and inflamatory jesture than the alleged incident on Long Island so it's certainly not a first. Now I realize that this is somewhat of an "apples and Oranges" comparison but none the less, it serves its purpose. If you feel I am ignorant, then fine, you have a right to your opinion, but to get upset over it, and take issue with it, is ignorance on your part. Ignorance of the big picture that surrounds an extremely isolated incident that I still have yet to see documented and I know at least a dozen people that went to this game and they have no recollection of any such incident and have gone to all of my news sources and come up with nothing. Even if it did happen, I still stand by my arguement of the big picture and the intent behind the action. Yes, it was wrong to burn the flag, but I just don't see the relevance of starting a whole new thread about it.

------------------

Zooropa FTP

Old 05-02-2002, 09:46 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

How about this:

Why should you care what some drunken bozo at a hockey game does with your flag?

When the anti-Vietnam-war protesters burned the American flag, they were making a political statement.

When a drunken bozo burns a Canadian flag at a hockey game, he's being a drunken bozo.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 05-02-2002).]
Old 05-02-2002, 09:58 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well, I hope you guys are right (about it being the work of drunken idiots)...It just seems like there's a lot of animosity between the U.S. and Canada lately in sporting matches that wasn't there before....
Old 05-02-2002, 10:13 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:32 PM
thank you for your kind words zooropa. you are much to kind. please be aware that i enjoy your posts also

please allow me to clarify my position. i am not quite so disturbed by the incident reported in the article i posted. this article is the one which most dramatically recounts such an event and i could see that as being misleading. for that i apologize. i do understand that the events of drunken americans are in no way representative of a group of fans, community, city, state, let alone country.

rather, and as i alluded to in my second post it was the initial reaction of the pistons crowd that thoroughly confused me. i think it is more that that i am reacting to than this incident in NY. my apologies for posting the misleading article(i had heard a rumor of this having happened but todays national post was the first documentation of it).

though still a minority, there was a fair proportion of that crowd booing the canadian anthem.

of all american-canadian border communities i would think the detroit-windsor relationship is amongst the strongest, given their largely shared socio-economic past.

leafs thoroughly got their asses kicked this evening by the way. even if the isles didn't eliminate us, they certainly knocked us out for the first game of the next series. raptors are gonna take the pistons out methinks tho

Old 05-02-2002, 10:35 PM   #9
Acrobat

Quote:
thank you for your kind words zooropa. you are much to kind. please be aware that i enjoy your posts also

please allow me to clarify my position. i am not quite so disturbed by the incident reported in the article i posted. this article is the one which most dramatically recounts such an event and i could see that as being misleading. for that i apologize. i do understand that the events of drunken americans are in no way representative of a group of fans, community, city, state, let alone country.

rather, and as i alluded to in my second post it was the initial reaction of the pistons crowd that thoroughly confused me. i think it is more that that i am reacting to than this incident in NY. my apologies for posting the misleading article(i had heard a rumor of this having happened but todays national post was the first documentation of it).

though still a minority, there was a fair proportion of that crowd booing the canadian anthem.

of all american-canadian border communities i would think the detroit-windsor relationship is amongst the strongest, given their largely shared socio-economic past.
Point taken.

Quote:
leafs thoroughly got their asses kicked this evening by the way. even if the isles didn't eliminate us, they certainly knocked us out for the first game of the next series. raptors are gonna take the pistons out methinks tho
GO SENS GO!!!!! You can have the Pistons, I stopped following the NBA when the Knicks didn't make it!

------------------

Zooropa FTP

Old 05-02-2002, 10:37 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

As a transplanted Detroiter, let me say that we Detroit hockey fans are quite grateful for the existence of Windsor channel 9 and CBC's Hockey Night in Canada.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:21 PM   #11
Kid A

I wish people would get as passionate about something like world hunger or human rights as they do about a fucking game, don't get me wrong, I love sports just as much as the next fool, but these people are maniacal, what a bunch of fucking losers
Old 05-02-2002, 11:23 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer:
As a transplanted Detroiter, let me say that we Detroit hockey fans are quite grateful for the existence of Windsor channel 9 and CBC's Hockey Night in Canada.
Oh, and CK...don't ever confuse the Wings and Blackhawks again. You're just lucky this isn't the 50's (when the rivalry was really heated, it's no more than a slight wimper now).
Old 05-02-2002, 11:25 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I wish people would get as passionate about something like world hunger or human rights as they do about a fucking game, don't get me wrong, I love sports just as much as the next fool, but these people are maniacal, what a bunch of fucking losers
I couldn't agree with you more. It's probably because some people believe that "if it's not in my backyard"....which is a really sad and awful way to be. Getting pissed over some stupid sporting event is much easier.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:58 PM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:

New York mob torched Canadian flag

Hockey fans
Old 05-03-2002, 12:10 AM   #15
Kid A

oh right, like that sort of behavior is exclusive to "hockey fans"