So did Leinart make a mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

?

• Yes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Did Leinart make a mistake deciding to go back for his final year of college?

He didn't win a second heisman, he didn't win another championship, he cost himself the noteriety of being the #1 overall pick in the draft and the money that goes with it, and he cost himself a year of his professional career and the money it would have generated.

Seems like kind of a waste of a year and the risk of injury could have further hurt his career.

I guess he learned how to ball room dance though.

No.

He was not healthy enough to get picked in the top of the first round last year.

He has grown smarter and stronger with his last year. He showed great ability in changing the plays at the line of scrimmage to pick apart defenses.

He also got a full year of being the most eligible man on campus - and SC is a target rich environment if you know what I mean :sexywink:

He met the love of his life, Nick Lachey. They are moving to Mass to get married in the spring, then to N'awlins so Matt can dwell in obscurity for a perennial loser NFL franchise.
So it was a good move returning.

nbcrusader said:
No.

He was not healthy enough to get picked in the top of the first round last year.

He has grown smarter and stronger with his last year. He showed great ability in changing the plays at the line of scrimmage to pick apart defenses.

He also got a full year of being the most eligible man on campus - and SC is a target rich environment if you know what I mean :sexywink:

What he said.

Plus he got to get one final taste of the tough academic world student-athletes face: ballroom dancing. How did he manage to take that class and play football? He's simply amazing. :wink:

randhail said:
Plus he got to get one final taste of the tough academic world student-athletes face: ballroom dancing. How did he manage to take that class and play football? He's simply amazing. :wink:

It is pathetic that that is allowed. Did anyone see the kicker for Ohio? He was a six year senior!

ljclary said:

It is pathetic that that is allowed. Did anyone see the kicker for Ohio? He was a six year senior!

why, exactly, is it pathetic that the man was able to be a top of the line D1 athlete and still graduate early? he didn't take ballroom dancing because he was trying to slide through... he took it because he had already completed all of his other course work.

Yeah, nobody ever takes fluff courses at other schools. *cough cough Andy Katzenmoyer cough cough*

ok i take it back... leinart redshirted his freshman year, so he didn't graduate early, but he did graduate on time... something that most college students don't do, let alone college students with the sort of schedule required of a D1 quarterback.

:shrug: redshirting is allowed under NCAA rules. seeing as he graduated, all he needed was to take one class, and any class that he wanted. so he picked ballroom dancing.

a friend of mine actually just took ballroom dancing at SUNY Stony Brook for 3 credits. :shrug:

god knows i've taken plenty of fluff classes in my time. i took wellness, for pete's sake. i got 4 credits for taking women's studies, where i was the only guy in the entire class :flirt::wink:

I rather enjoy when announcers say that a given athlete's major is General Studies. :huh: I didn't see that major offered to me at my college, it could've been quite fun. Instead I took super cool classes like Biochemistry and Physiology, making me the dumbass.

I just think there is something not quite right about an athlete being able to take only one course b/c they want him for their multi-million dollar money making football team. If he was anyone else that ballroom class would have been completed during the summer.

I have no problems with what he took (hell I took the history of rock and roll music where my stone out prof. said we "were doing this class for Jerry") it is the fact he is a part-time, part-time student playing college ball. Thee is just something not right with that in my mind.

I couldn't take Bowling 2, they demolished the lanes for a new weightroom for the football team the summer after I took Bowling.
I could have taken Raquetball though, probably should have.

i also took advanced basketball with a professor who was from china and knew absolutely nothing about basketball. baisicly i tought the class. [/B][/QUOTE]

that's awesome

ljclary said:
I just think there is something not quite right about an athlete being able to take only one course b/c they want him for their multi-million dollar money making football team. If he was anyone else that ballroom class would have been completed during the summer.

I have no problems with what he took (hell I took the history of rock and roll music where my stone out prof. said we "were doing this class for Jerry") it is the fact he is a part-time, part-time student playing college ball. Thee is just something not right with that in my mind.

he took courses over the summer, and the rules follow NCAA guidelines and are the rules for all athletes, not just the ones who bring in millions of dollars for the school.

i had a handful of teammates over my college basketball career who did baisicly the exact same thing. they had redshirted, graduated, but still had a year of eligability left. a friend of mine took intro to acting and a photography class as a red shirt senior... this was division III, where millions of dollars were most certainly not made. they were lucky if they made 20 bucks off of us.

Matt got his Jollys out of USC. I don't see a problem

I hope that USC has a few down years as such, seeing how they've had so many starters start so many games, and now leave.

But that's the flow of things, so whatever.

I don't know if matt made a mistake. HIs personal choices in that regard really aren't any of my business

my racquetball "professor" was from kenya. she spoke very bad english, which made it oh so easy to understand her with the echo's that happen in your average racquetball court.

the school has some sort of professor exchange program at the time where they brought in a bunch of teachers from other countries... they had their regular courses, then i guess they figured they'd give 'em some P.E. classes as extra work. they also worked in the dining hall, which was funny when i'd leave racquetball, go back to the dorm, shower and go to dinner and there was my racquetball prof serving spaghetti and meatballs.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i also took advanced basketball with a professor who was from china and knew absolutely nothing about basketball. baisicly i tought the class.
You'd walk into class and say "Yo", he'd respond, "Yao"...and it would go back and forth until class ended.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
which was funny when i'd leave racquetball, go back to the dorm, shower and go to dinner and there was my racquetball prof serving spaghetti and meatballs.
And the following day the leftover meatballs were used as raquetballs...keeps the school budget nicely in line.

So after all this witty repartee I headed out to grab my lunch, fully intending on getting a turkey sub, yet ended up with a raquetball, er meatball sub instead.

to answer the actual poll question, yes, he did make a mistake. perhaps in the long run he might turn out to be a slightly better NFL QB, but he cost himself some moolah.

Hewson said:
I actually took a Bowling class...but it was only a 1 credit PE class...aced it though.

As did I.

And it was amazing.

I'm in The History of Rock n' Roll and also Introduction to Computers this term. You can't get much more "bird course" than that.

Scary enough I learned the most out of my history of rock and roll class in college than any other!! For a final we had to make a list of out top 50 albums of all time and why...I spent more time on that than any other final.:wink: :wink:

Ballroom Dancing at USC is actually a very popular class, most of my friends have taken it. There is also a really cool sailing class, where you get to sail overnight to Catalina for your final.

Lastly, there are a couple of really cool cinema classes. One is taught by Leonard Maltin and consists of watching films before they are released, with guest speakers from the film. Past films screened include LOTR Return of the King and Star Wars Episodes 2 and 3. There is also a George Lucas class, I took that one. Basically we just watched the Star Wars films and a couple of others. At the end George Lucas comes in to speak to the class.

Back
Top Bottom