Snow Patrol -- U2's new fav. band? (according to AOL)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaleBlueDot

War Child
The AOL welcome page is advertizing Scottish band Snow Patrol as U2's new favorite band, but it isn't giving any kind of specific quotes. Anyone got the skinny on this?

I had a listen to their single and I likey. And I'm REALLY judgmental when I first hear a band. Too bad I just missed them in Chicago. :( They're comparing them to Coldplay and AB-era U2.

...I'm not gonna pass judgement on them just yet but they've definitely piqued my interest. I hope they're as good as Travis -- I need a new band to love.

Last edited:
Actually, they are Irish, but the band was formed in Scotland, or something like that. They are really good, but I wouldn't say AB-era U2 or even Coldplay. Their sound is unique, and varies a lot from song to song, which makes the album very interesting to listen to.

It's going to be interesting to see how they progress over the years, as I think they have a lot of potential. They're not going to become the next U2 or even the next Coldplay though.

I like them a lot. They are originally from Northern Ireland, but all met in college in Scotland. There are some tracks I love off 'songs for polar bears' and 'when it's over...' but I think they've come a long way with 'final straw' - I really like that whole album. I really enjoyed them live as well.

Oh, and i know nothing about the aol part of that, just replying to them in general...

They're from Northern Ireland, and they've been around for a long time (I think about 10 years and their first album was released in 1998). They usually get called a Scottish band because they formed in Scotland and the singer (and I think the drummer?) have done two albums as part of The Reindeer Section, which is like a superband made up of members of Scottish indie bands.

meegannie said:
I think I'm the only person in the world who actually prefers their first two albums. :|
you know, i haven't actually heard 'songs for polar bears' as a whole album - just a lot of tracks from it randomly...maybe i should.

reindeer section... :heart:

meegannie said:
You don't really love the Matrol. :sad::madspit::sad::disappointedbingy:
:laugh: but i braved hail and a floor that nearly caved in to see the matrol!! Ok, but yes, I need to hear that album start to end.

PaleBlueDot said:
They're comparing them to Coldplay and AB-era U2.

There was a review in a local magazine where they said Snow Patrol sounds like Coldplay had gone more indie and had used production like AB-Zooropa U2.

I saw Snow Patrol at the North Star Bar in Philadelphia a few weeks ago. It was a good show. They have 3 albums and have actually been around for many years.

I'd give Final Straw 3 out of 5 stars. They're good, but I haven't found them to be great yet.

Actually, I heard on the radio that Snow Patrol would be opening for U2 "later this year." I don't know what to make of that, as I very rarely believe the U2 news I hear on the radio.

Back
Top Bottom