Snape: Good or Evil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is Snape a....

• Good Guy

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • Bad Guy

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Whaddya think?

(What can I say---with the 7th book and 5th movie coming out in a few short months, Harry Potter's been on the brain!)

I think Snape has good intentions, but is an asshole.

I'm also one of the people who thinks he didn't kill Dumbledore, so maybe that counts for something.

^ I think one of the reasons Dumbledore trusted him so much is that he'd arranged with Snape that Snape would kill him at some predestined or unforeseen time. I wouldn't doubt if somewhere in the 6 books, Dumbledore has a line in there like "I'd trust him with my life." :lol: I also think there's some other reason Dumbledore trusts him that Harry doesn't know yet...more than just that Snape said he was sorry for being a Death Eater.

But yeah, I agree--he has good intentions (most of the time), but is a jerk.

You know, I've read Half-Blood Prince 2 times and the ending 3 times, and each time I come out of it with a different opinion.

After my last read I thought he was evil and that Dumbledore was mistaken.

But I really find it hard to belive that Dumbledore could be sooooo wrong about him.

So even though I think he's evil, I have to trust that he will end up being good.

(Though good or evil, yes, he is an a__hole! :madspit: )

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the way she writes it, it can be pretty convincing that he's bad.

But besides, like you, not being able to see Dumbledore as being so hugely wrong, I also don't think Dumbledore's final words could really be "Severus, please" and begging for his life. Instead, I think he was "begging" that Snape do what he was required/promised to do.

FitzChivalry said:
Maybe Snape made an Unbreakable Vow with Dumbledore first, and perhaps if you do two Unbreakable Vow's that contradict each other, only the first one counts . . . .

. . . . . . kind of like calling, "Shotgun!"

:laugh:

:lol:

I find Snape one of most intriguing characters in the Harry Potter books. I think he's working for the good side, but acts like a jerk because he has had such a damaging childhood. I'm very interested in finding out more of his background, especially in regards to Harry's mom, and what is behind his apparant hatred towards Harry. Can't wait for the next book! :hyper:

Last edited:
babble said:
I find Snape one of most intriguing character in the Harry Pottery. I think he's working for the good side, but acts like a jerk because he has had such a damaging childhood. I'm very interested in finding out more of his background, especially in regards to Harry's mom, and what is behind his apparant hatred towards Harry. Can't wait for the next book! :hyper:
:yes: I agree with everything you just said.

babble said:
I find Snape one of most intriguing characters in the Harry Potter books. I think he's working for the good side, but acts like a jerk because he has had such a damaging childhood. I'm very interested in finding out more of his background, especially in regards to Harry's mom, and what is behind his apparant hatred towards Harry. Can't wait for the next book! :hyper:

:banghead: I forgot about the history portion

Here's a question:

In the U.S. "hallows" means to make something Holy or to treat something with sincere reverence.

However, "hollows" means a gap or a cavity, or space within. It also means a small valley between two mountains.

Does "hallows" in England mean that same thing that "hollows" means in America? Because "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", following the American meaning of hallows, makes no sense to me. :huh:

Snape is a horrible excuse for a human being but I'm absolutely convinced that he's on the good side.

I could write a 1000-word essay on the subject; but one thing that made me immediately sceptical about the whole tower scene in the sixth book was the lack of Evil Speech - you know, the one that any self-respecting bad guy makes when he's got the good guy defenceless and cornered.

Out for himself. I don't think such a clever guy is worried about taking sides.

Last edited:
in my opinion, he's a bad guy, at least he's behaved like one. But I'm not sure about that, he has always fascinated me and i change my mind about him very often.
Can't wait for the 7th book to find out the truth!. Luckily I'll be in England by July 21th:wink:

Good guy, bad personality.
I'm also in the camp of "he was begging Snape to kill him."
And if he were on the Dark Side, that would leave like 3 people working to save Harry. Hagrid, Lupin... uh...

Yeah, I haven't read the books since last year and I have a bad memory for everything. I'm going to re-read everything before July though, just to have my history straight. :up:

FitzChivalry said:
Here's a question:

In the U.S. "hallows" means to make something Holy or to treat something with sincere reverence.

However, "hollows" means a gap or a cavity, or space within. It also means a small valley between two mountains.

Does "hallows" in England mean that same thing that "hollows" means in America? Because "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", following the American meaning of hallows, makes no sense to me. :huh:

From WIKI:

The meaning of "Hallows"
When asked "What does 'Deathly Hallows' mean?" J.K. Rowling responded, "Any clarification of the meaning of 'Hallows' would give away too much of the story - well, it would, wouldn't it? Being the title and all. So I'm afraid I'm not answering."[12]. She also declined to say what her two other shortlisted titles had been, at least until after publication. The release of the title has resulted in considerable speculation amongst fans as to its possible meanings.[13][14]

Hallow is a word usually used as a verb, meaning "to make holy or sacred, to sanctify or consecrate, to venerate".[15] However, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the word hallows appears as a noun. In modern English, the word is used as a noun in "All Hallows' Day" or "All Saints' Day," which is the day after Halloween or "All Hallows' Eve". Hallows can refer to saints, the relics of saints, the relics of gods, or shrines in which the relics are kept.[16][17] Since the essence of these saints or gods were often considered present at their shrines and in their relics, hallows came to refer to the saints or gods themselves, rather than just their relics or shrines. Hallow is not to be confused with hollow, such as in Godric's Hollow.

And I think he's essentially good guy who is fighting some serious jealousy demons...he's bitter, and Dumbledore believes he will be able to overcome that.

snowbunny00774 said:

From WIKI:

The meaning of "Hallows"
When asked "What does 'Deathly Hallows' mean?" J.K. Rowling responded, "Any clarification of the meaning of 'Hallows' would give away too much of the story - well, it would, wouldn't it? Being the title and all. So I'm afraid I'm not answering."[12]. She also declined to say what her two other shortlisted titles had been, at least until after publication. The release of the title has resulted in considerable speculation amongst fans as to its possible meanings.[13][14]

Hallow is a word usually used as a verb, meaning "to make holy or sacred, to sanctify or consecrate, to venerate".[15] However, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the word hallows appears as a noun. In modern English, the word is used as a noun in "All Hallows' Day" or "All Saints' Day," which is the day after Halloween or "All Hallows' Eve". Hallows can refer to saints, the relics of saints, the relics of gods, or shrines in which the relics are kept.[16][17] Since the essence of these saints or gods were often considered present at their shrines and in their relics, hallows came to refer to the saints or gods themselves, rather than just their relics or shrines. Hallow is not to be confused with hollow, such as in Godric's Hollow.

:up: Awesome! Thanks snowbunny. I had not read that before. That actually clears up a lot of my confusion. :wink:

where was the 'sexy' third choice??

I'd hit it...more then once. :drool:

But then, I really think its the alan rickman voice that gets me...and the wearing of black...ad the snooty voice...and *falls over*

anyhoo, I haven't read any of the books, so i can't really comment on anything other then the movies, which seem to be shit for a alot of fans?

FitzChivalry said:
The film "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" . . . . what the series could have been like with a GREAT director with supreme talent and vision!

The 3rd HP film. :drool: :drool: :drool:

:up: My brother doesn't like the third one and I think he's on crack. It's the first film with some art in it, and yet doesn't lose the magic on-edge feeling of the book. The only bit I wish Cuaron had done was have Lupin actually tell Harry that Mooney, Padfoot, Wormtail & Prongs were James, Sirius, Peter & himself. That was a huge mistake, IMO. But otherwise, the third film is excellent. Such emotion packed into some of those scenes---Harry on Buckbeak gliding over the lake captures the exhiliaration of teenagedom's occasional break from angst; the three kids huddled together, a la "Y Tu Mama Tambien;" the way Emma Watson delivers, "You're dying---both of you" when watching the Dementors attacking Harry & Sirius across the lake. Good stuff. :drool:

I wasn't as big a fan of the fourth movie. I loved the new Dumbledore in the 3rd movie--felt he brought the playfulness from the book that was lacking in the first two--but felt he was too harsh in the 4th movie.

If the 4th movie wasn't so action-focused and packed the scenes MTV video-style it might have been the best. So 3rd one wins, although I think the new Dumbledore has nothing on the Dumbledore actor in the first 2 movies.

Back
Top Bottom