Smithwick's by Guinness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had that in college. I think I remember thinking it was OK. I also think, by judging my memory, I must've had many other beers before. (probably Guinness).

Hope that helps!!

My aunt is the only person I know who drinks Smithwicks

The guys at the Irish pub that I frequent pronounce it like 'Smiddicks.'

I like it. Guinness is of course more popular but it is a good alternative for people like myself who prefer a nut-brown ale over a stout.

Great stuff folks. I guess we are getting it in draft/draught first and then it will be here a week later in 6pk bottles. I guess the shipping container with our order of it is late from the port!

Guinness-Diageo, the company that promotes Guinness, Harp, Kaliber, Red Stripe and Smirnoff Ice (and formerly, Captain Morgan's Gold) used to be called the "Guinness-Bass Import Co." and at one time, also controlled Bass Ale and Pilsner Urquell in America.

Pilsner Urquell was purchased by SABMiller, PLC while Bass Ale was purchased by Interbrew of Belgium, who just merged with AmBev of Brazil to form the world's largest brewer by volume, now called InBev. They, in America, control brands such as Labatt (Blue, Blue Light, Ice, Canadian Ale and Select), Boddington's Pub Ale, Rolling Rock and Rock Green Light, Beck's, Beck's Dark and Beck's Light, Lowenbrau, Tennent's, Stella Artois, Staropramen and more...

Anyway, when then Bass Brewery was purchased, there was an agreement between Guinness-Diageo and Interbrew that Guinness wouldn't launch an ale of their own to compete with Bass for something like, three years or so. Anyway, that time is up and now Guinness is launching Smithwick's all across America to compete with Bass Ale. It will be an uphill climb for sure. Anyway, I'm sure that's more than enough beer knowledge for one night.

Tip up folks!

When it comes to stouts, I've always preferred Murphy's over Guinness. I think it's a lot smoother.

Anyway, I can't wait to try Smithwick's. Sounds interesting, and though I like Bass I'm not a label whore when it comes to beer--just a snob.

laz

smithwicks is just a smooth. much like john smiths or such like.

It's alright if you like bitter. Personally I'm not a fan.

A lot of blokes drank it in the irish pub I worked in in Kinsale (county cork) but that was only cos it was the cheapest pint we sold :D

ps it's pronounced smith-icks :D

Never come across Kinsale Irish Lager.

Smithwicks is alright but I prefer Guinness!

~LadyLemon~ said:
Zoney introduced me to this in Philly--good stuff :up:

And of COURSE, I have to tell my story.

I drank it nightly for my three weeks in Ireland in 93. THen I went 11 years without it.

I was SO happy to see it stateside last year, that I now cannot remember most of the first night I found it here.

Back
Top Bottom