Smackover, Arkansas Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are both incredible and more or less on the same level.

You must be up to New Years End. :drool:

Yes - wow, New Years End is fantastic, the best song so far. I am very impressed. Now Darkfall is starting.

Definitely not. We all know what Chris Martin has blabbed on about. I was genuinely curious if Eno has said much. I don't think I've seen anything.

Oh, OK. Sorry. :uhoh:

It's funny, but based on reports I've come across, Brian Eno had less to do with the making of the album than some may have thought. Of course, Eno isn't really the kind of guy to live in a studio with a band, but it sort of explains why he isn't fervently flogging this thing like Lanois is the U2 album.

We should have a "Contributor of the Most Ridiculous, Inaccurate Hype" stakes for the new U2 album.

Bono is currently odds-on favourite at 2 to 1. Closely followed by Lanois at 3 to 1. Edge is presently trailing at 7 to 1, Larry is at FOAD to 1, and Adam is too busy playing with spoons.

Oh, OK. Sorry. :uhoh:

It's funny, but based on reports I've come across, Brian Eno had less to do with the making of the album than some may have thought. Of course, Eno isn't really the kind of guy to live in a studio with a band, but it sort of explains why he isn't fervently flogging this thing like Lanois is the U2 album.

Yeah, there were two other producers in the credits. It sounds like Eno was merely a consultant to this more than anything else.

Afternoon, PFan. :wave:

phanan, Darkfall passed without much notice from me, but Tempus Horizon is quality. Judging by its length, I'm guessing Lateral Noise, which I'm about to start, is just another atmospheric transition piece.

I'm going for A Storm in Heaven tonight. I still haven't listened to it actively.

Afternoon, PFan. :wave:

phanan, Darkfall passed without much notice from me, but Tempus Horizon is quality. Judging by its length, I'm guessing Lateral Noise, which I'm about to start, is just another atmospheric transition piece.

Correct. There's not much to the shorter pieces, but I think they play their part well in connecting the longer songs.

Gotta step away for a few to clean the damn dishes.

Phanan is fiery tonight. He used the word "damn."

Looks like those dishes aren't in for much love.

And I'm looking forward to your thoughts on A Storm In Heaven. How familiar are you with shoegaze?

Correct. There's not much to the shorter pieces, but I think they play their part well in connecting the longer songs.

Yeah, agreed. They're definitely helping to make the album seem more cohesive.

I'm loving Beyond The Dying Light. Oh, and it's finished. Great closer. Now I think I need to play New Years End again. :drool:

I'm not planning on listening to more than A Storm in Heaven unless someone wants to send me something.

I'd probably say Ride's Nowhere is the best introductory album to shoegaze, but then I'm biased. A Storm In Heaven is probably a little of an unconventional starting place, but it's a quality album that shows the heavier side of the genre.

I've always thought My Bloody Valentine's Loveless was over-rated. Good shoegaze, yes, but not the best.

You sent me some albums a while back, like four, and I never got to them due to an intense fourth quarter at school. I need to find those links, buried in my gmail.

Is My Bloody Valentine really shoegaze?

PFan, I rarely pipe up about what you ought to listen to, but give Catherine Wheel a spin, while we're talking about shoe gaze with a heavier side. 2 albums of theirs stand out: Chrome and Ferment. Do me a favor and check one or both of 'em out one day. They're both SEPTA approved.

How familiar are you with shoegaze?

If the answer is "not terribly", I will hold off on recommending My Bloody Valentine's Loveless to you. Honestly, it's a work of art (and I don't throw that word around), unique and beautiful, but it's not for everyone. Really.

Ride - Nowhere
Catherine Wheel - Chrome
Catherine Wheel - Ferment

Added to the list. Or should I say, the list was AMENDED.

Is My Bloody Valentine really shoegaze?

It seems too many people think they're the very definition of shoegaze.

I would not hesitate to say that Ride and Swervedriver were better. Shoegaze to me is all about Seagull and Vapour Trail from Nowhere. :drool:

You sent me some albums a while back, like four, and I never got to them due to an intense fourth quarter at school. I need to find those links, buried in my gmail.

Heh, when you find them, you'll have to remind me what they were - and if the links are expired, I'd be happy to re-upload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom