Smackover, Arkansas Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am quite sure that @ existed before the internet... it's on my mum's antique typewriter, I'm sure of it! :wink:

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, I recall reading something about its pre-Internet use, but I'm afraid the Internet has just poisoned it for me!

You used to be able to scroll down a long list and see everyone's name and see the topic title and be able to pick and choose what to read quite easily. NOw you can see about only about 10 and the first one is open in full, which is OK if it's interesting, and not OK if someone is having some existential crisis...

Gah, it's telling me to go to bed, see ya folks!

Ahh, right. Yeah, I can see how the old system would've been better.

Have a good night! :wave:

Are you reading that Journey of English book, or whatever it's called? I enjoyed reading that, though I think it was a bit kind to American English and I felt its coverage beyond the UK and US was weak and superficial. And yeah, Benjamin Franklin's ideas were just a bit insane. I think the main problem with US English right now is that it is so similar to standard English - if it would just hurry up and diverge into its own dialect, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Yep, that's the book. "The Adventure of English"
It won't diverge, though... my impression is that dialects develop in some sort of isolation, and with global media/communication, any new sort of language tends to spread everywhere. :shrug:

And that kind of job would be a nice power trip for a bureaucrat, huh? :wink:
:drool: Give me a time machine, 15th-century men's clothes, and sign me up!

That whole thing with the Great Vowel Shift blows my mind, too. But more in a "how the HELL did that happen, and how do they even know it did happen?" kind of way.

Yep, that's the book. "The Adventure of English"
It won't diverge, though... my impression is that dialects develop in some sort of isolation, and with global media/communication, any new sort of language tends to spread everywhere. :shrug:

:drool: Give me a time machine, 15th-century men's clothes, and sign me up!

That whole thing with the Great Vowel Shift blows my mind, too. But more in a "how the HELL did that happen, and how do they even know it did happen?" kind of way.

That's the one! I was rather disappointed with its treatment of Aussie/Kiwi English, in that it was incredibly brief and cursory, and that its treatment of the interaction of English with Asian cultures seemed to be as more of a curiosity than anything. But then it can't have been an easy book to write, let alone make it accessible to the lay public.

And yeah, it doesn't help that the US bastardisation of the language has the weight of its media machine behind it. You can see that in some of the terribly confused spelling and grammar in schools now.

The Great Vowel Shift stuff is impressive, for sure. I'd love to see some of the actual research that determined how they identified it. How the hell do you figure that out without recordings?!

So, photos I've been uploading. I LOVE these signs along the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail, stating the obvious that a river will sometimes do what a river will sometimes do. A river might flood, you say? Geez, wow! Revelatory!

s640x480

A few of that Southern Star Observation Wheel (what a dumb name).

I guess they're not paying whoever thought of that name as much as the people in London paid their name thinker-upper.

"They've got the London Eye. What have we got?"
"... The Melbourne Nostril!"
":rolleyes:"

I guess they're not paying whoever thought of that name as much as the people in London paid their name thinker-upper.

"They've got the London Eye. What have we got?"
"... The Melbourne Nostril!"
":rolleyes:"

:laugh:

The cynic in me says that the thinker-upper was being paid by the letter, so instead of just ripping off Melbourne Eye, they went with Southern Star Observation Wheel as the longest name they could get away with.

That's the one! I was rather disappointed with its treatment of Aussie/Kiwi English, in that it was incredibly brief and cursory, and that its treatment of the interaction of English with Asian cultures seemed to be as more of a curiosity than anything. But then it can't have been an easy book to write, let alone make it accessible to the lay public.
I think it was originally a series on BBC radio, then he did the book and the TV series, or something like that. Either way, it was primarily aimed at a UK audience (he keeps referring to "these islands"), and I suppose they don't give much of a crap about our corner of the world.

The Great Vowel Shift stuff is impressive, for sure. I'd love to see some of the actual research that determined how they identified it. How the hell do you figure that out without recordings?!
That's exactly what I'd love to know.

:laugh:

The cynic in me says that the thinker-upper was being paid by the letter, so instead of just ripping off Melbourne Eye, they went with Southern Star Observation Wheel as the longest name they could get away with.

Could be... or some public servant with no imagination whatsoever.

Seeya Vazza! :wave:

I think it was originally a series on BBC radio, then he did the book and the TV series, or something like that. Either way, it was primarily aimed at a UK audience (he keeps referring to "these islands"), and I suppose they don't give much of a crap about our corner of the world.

That's exactly what I'd love to know.

Yeah, SBS showed the series earlier this year - I saw the first episode, then completely forgot to watch the rest. Must say I enjoyed reading the book more than the first episode anyway, so not too much of a loss there. And yeah, I'm sure to UK language snobs, our accents are puerile and childish. :wink:

I bet there's some academic articles on JSTOR ... but it's the holidays ...

Could be... or some public servant with no imagination whatsoever.

No, I can just imagine what it would be called if it were a brainless beige public servant in charge of the naming duties! The Docklands Precinct Enlarged Ferris Wheel For Purposes Of Observing Melbourne From An Increased Altitude. Yeah, that's got a catchy ring to it!

Last holidays, I did far too much research to pass the time. :nerd:

:|

Last holidays, I did far too much research to pass the time. :nerd:

:|

I did that on Memorial Day - did a lot of homework whenever I'd get bored.

Luckily, I don't have that issue this weekend. :drool:

If it stops raining, in a number of hours I will be enjoying yummy food at an outdoor festival downtown. :pray: And if for some reason I don't make it down there tonight with my friends, there's always Saturday's trip out there with new crayon. :wink:

Cheeeese. :drool:

May not be a good idea before bed, but what the heck :D

:lol: I'm just sitting here having a glass of white wine (it was taking up valuable fridge space) and thinking that I really should have kept it until the weekend, as it would go well with cheese rather than by itself.

Tomorrow, I think I shall buy some good cheese regardless of how much of a ripoff it is. You suck, inflation.

In principle, I love the whole concept of an all-cardboard CD case. It looks better than the plastic ones, too. But trying to get the :censored: CD out of the :censored: thing is another matter entirely...

*fume*

Next time I'm unemployed, that just might happen.

What's your boss's number? I think your use of company time on Interference must be reported by a responsible citizen such as myself. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom