Sleater-Kinney: The Woods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, I forgot they had a new one coming out. One Beat kicked seven different kinds of ass, so I'd better grab this one too.

Got it last week, but haven't really gotten into it yet. One Beat did kick much ass, so I'm prepared for a letdown with this one.

I've really liked the one song of theirs I've heard from this album, "Entertain". Been interested in what the rest of the album is like in comparison after seeing all the glowing reviews.

A friend of mine is a huge fan so I've listened to some of their older stuff.

I can't stand that woman's voice. It's like cats howling in protest of being skinned. The music itself is okay, but I can't get past her. At all.

I felt that too, about her voice, on previous albums.

but it works on this for some reason.

Maybe its like Dylan or Corgan or even Oburst...it takes some getting used to

I just got it, and I'm only one track in. Oh, man, anitram, you'd hate this one. She's almost yodeling.

"La-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-nd ho!"

A lot of people hate Carrie's little princess voice too. But fuck a lot of people. I want to have Carrie's babies.

Last edited:
I downloaded two of their songs off insound. I really, really like the music, but I, too, am having a hard time getting past the singer's vocal style/voice. :slant: Maybe it grows on you after a while?

wow, why wasn't there a thread on this already? one of the best albums of the year thus far. and it rocks like a muh fucker. these gals do stoner rock better than queens of the stone age do on their new (shitty) album. i can see how the vocals could be grating, but i dig it.

NEWS FLASH: Scientists have discovered an eighth kind of ass. It was promptly kicked by "Let's Call It Love," along with the first seven. Goddamn.

BUMP

just saw them last nite in dc and they fucking SLAYED. played just about all of the woods, a few older tunes, and even threw in a danzig cover. awesome.

seriously, anyone who has not heard this album needs to hear it NOW

Can't comment on the new one much as i haven't heard it much, but as a rule Sleater Kinney work for me. They do kick ass and I love the call-and-response thing they have going on in a lot of their songs (which, yes, includes the screeching-cat lady).

Best Album of the Year so far, BY far. I was a huge fan of One Beat but this is their crowning achievement. Their sound just developed into a whole new frontier on this record.

And they kicked so much ass when I saw them live. They played EVERY song off the new album. What a testament to how confident they are in what they've put together here. Carrie was like a Hendrix reincarnation unleashed on the stage. She is a guitar god.

Yes, Corin Tucker's voice is a "grower". But I also disliked the voices of Michael Stipe, Perry Ferrell, Billy Corgan, Bob Dylan, and even Joni Mitchell before I became big fans. She has a powerful voice, one full of conviction, and on The Woods it's just glorious.

After I saw the concert, I said to my friends, Sleater-Kinney may very well be the best band in the world right now. They are at the total peak of their powers.

I finally listened to the album this week. It's not on par with Love Beat, IMO, but still fantastic and continues S-K's amazingly consistent run. I absolutely cannot stand "Let's Call It Love" though; I tried to give it a go five times or so and my patience just snapped mid-way every single time. It's just the absolute worst thing they've ever recorded.

Boo.

"After eleven years as a band, Sleater-Kinney have decided to go on indefinite hiatus.

The upcoming summer shows will be our last. As of now, there are no plans for future tours or recordings. We feel lucky to have had the support of many wonderful people over the years. We want to thank everyone who has worked with us, written kind words about us, performed with us, and inspired us.

But mostly we want to extend our gratitude to our amazing fans. You have been a part of our story from the beginning. We could not have made our music without your enthusiasm, passion, and loyalty. It is you who have made the entire journey worthwhile."

Yeah, this is indeed too bad. I almost feel like I should go out and buy The Woods just so I have something in their honor.

America's best band and of the three or four best in the world...god, what a fucking loss.

I cried when this news broke. Hard. Pay no attention to the bullshit Stylus feature on the band which was posted, today. It is incoherent, confusing, poorly written, and needlessly vindictive.

I loved this band and I love this band.

This is the worst thing to happen to music in a while. Like, Rehearsing My Choir-style bad. Seriously.

Back
Top Bottom