Skater Christopher Bowman found dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
From the NY Times:

Christopher Bowman, Skating Champion, Is Dead at 40

By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN
Published: January 12, 2008

Christopher Bowman, a two-time United States figure skating champion acclaimed as a stylish, crowd-pleasing performer despite a long struggle with drug abuse, was found dead Thursday in North Hills, Calif., near Los Angeles. He was 40.

Christopher Bowman won the U.S. men's figure skating title in 1992. Bowman’s body was found by a friend at a motel, the police told The Associated Press.

Ed Winter, the assistant chief of the Los Angeles County coroner’s operations and investigations section, said in a telephone interview that a prescription drug had been found in Bowman’s room but that no illicit drugs had been found. He said that an autopsy might be performed Saturday, but that a final determination would probably require six to eight weeks of toxicology tests.

Mr. Winter said there were no signs of trauma and that the death could have been accidental or from natural causes.

Bowman captured the United States men’s singles championship in 1989 and 1992, and he won a silver medal at the 1989 world championships and a bronze the next year. He was seventh in the 1988 Calgary Olympics and fourth at the 1992 Albertville Games.

“If I had to pick the three most talented skaters of all time, I would pick Christopher as one,” the former Olympic champion Brian Boitano told The Chicago Tribune. “He had natural charisma, natural athleticism, he could turn on a crowd in a matter of seconds and he always seemed so relaxed about it.”

A former child actor, Bowman displayed a crowd-pleasing flair that brought him the nickname Bowman the Showman. But another part of his life — long rumored and denied while he competed — was reflected in the tattoo on his left shoulder with the words “Nobody’s Perfect.”

Bowman was quoted by the sportswriter Christine Brennan in her book “Inside Edge” (Scribner, 1996) as saying he had “a $950-a-day cocaine habit” while in his prime.

“I was heavily into cocaine use for over ten years,” he said. “I did everything. I mean, I was a human garbage pail. You name it and I would try it because to me, I was invincible.”

The absence of random drug-testing by skating authorities and Bowman’s ability to stop using drugs shortly before events, in anticipation of drug testing, kept him from being caught.

But Bowman took pride in what he saw as immense dedication to his sport, while never taking himself too seriously.

“I practiced 5,000 hours, to perform for four and a half minutes,” he told The New York Times in 1993. “I always worked very hard, but my approach was very different. I didn’t treat it as a do-or-die situation. I tried to emphasize the human side of it.”

Bowman grew up in the Los Angeles area and began skating at 5. His mother persuaded Frank Carroll, a leading coach, to give him lessons. “He had tremendous ability,” Carroll told People magazine in 1996. “And he looked like a toy-store doll. The perfect little child.”

While training with Carroll, Bowman acted in the TV show “Little House on the Prairie” and appeared in many commercials. But skating dominated, and he became a national junior champion in 1983.

Bowman won a silver medal in the 1987 senior nationals, and then, as he told People, he grew his hair long, pierced his ears and began using drugs.

At Carroll’s urging, Bowman entered the Betty Ford Clinic for substance-abuse treatment shortly before the 1988 Olympics.

Carroll had been frustrated with Bowman’s poor work habits and he was angered when Bowman improvised much of his long program at the 1990 world championships in Halifax, Nova Scotia, although he finished third.

“You can’t train someone who’s untrainable or coach someone who’s uncoachable,” Carroll said afterward.

Carroll and Bowman parted the next July.

Bowman faced troubles beyond the rink. In 1991, he reported being beaten and mugged in Toronto, the circumstances murky. In 1993, the police in Pittsburgh said he reported being beaten at a $26-a-night hotel while touring with the Ice Capades. In January 2005, he was sentenced to 18 months probation for possessing a gun while drunk.

Bowman had coached at Detroit-area skating clubs in recent years and returned to California early last year. At his death, he weighed an estimated 300 pounds, The Associated Press reported. He is survived by his mother, Joyce, and a daughter, The Detroit Free Press said. In April 1993, while skating to Wild West music in the Ice Capades, wearing a cowboy jacket with leather fringes, Bowman reflected on his ice-show skating style, and on his life as well.

“I’m somewhat of a personality,” he told The New York Times. “I cultivate that. People are not there to see my skating, but to see me. I don’t expect to be in an American Express commercial. I’d have to be the guy who lost his credit card.”

I was so sad about this yesterday. I had a crush on him in his heyday - I used to be a big skating geek.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

:(

What a shame. I remember him in the 92 Olympics. He had loads of talent and seemed so natural on the ice. I always thought he could have been one of the truly great skaters had he been able to get his personal life under control.

RIP Bowman the Showman. :(

Dalton said:
I thought you were a woman?

If I were a figure skater, I would develop a drug problem as well.

Oh, go be a stereotyping asshole somewhere else, okay?

WildHoneyAlways said:

We'd all prefer it if weren't a stereotyping asshole here. I know it's probably a stretch for you but why don't you give it a try? Hmm?

See, now you're just being redundant. We've already established that you (I'm stereotyping again here, but it allows me to lump you and the other one together) don't want me to be a stereotyping asshole here.

Again I will ask, is there a more appropriate place for this behavior?

Anywhere but a thread about his death.

And that doesn't mean going to another thread and asking if anyone else is going to come in here and make snide remarks.

Maybe the best place for you to demonstrate this behavior is your own head. Keep it there.

Is this the guy who always did backflips in exhibition skates? I loved that guy :sad:

No, I think that's Kurt Browning (the Canadian, natch) who did all the backflips.

Chris Bowman is the guy who would change his routine in the middle of the competition and switched coaches every five mintues before it was fashionable. And, apparently, according to another skater, would say he was going out for a loaf of bread and be gone for four days.

Very talented, but a wild child with addiction problems. Bad times. :(

Dalton why are you always starting shit?

As for the rest of you, calling another member an asshole is not allowed and you all know it.

Former figure skating champ's cause of death still a mystery

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Coroner's officials might need to six to eight weeks to determine the cause of former figure skating star Christopher Bowman's death.

Former U.S. skating champion Christopher Bowman was called "Bowman the Showman" for his flair on the ice.

"The cause of death has been deferred pending further investigation," Los Angeles County coroner's Lt. Richard Hanna said Saturday following an autopsy.

The 40-year-old Bowman was found dead Thursday in a motel room in the North Hills area of the San Fernando Valley.

Authorities have said prescription medication was found at the scene but they have not said what kind or in what quantity, and will have to wait for toxicology tests to determine whether there were drugs in his body.

Police have said there was no sign of foul play or illegal drug use.

Bowman -- a figure skating star in the 1980s and 1990s -- had a talent that was matched by a reputation for hard living. He had battled cocaine addiction.

Recently, the former child actor had come from Detroit to Southern California to make a comeback in acting.

A friend who found Bowman's body told police that Bowman might have been drinking.

There also have been reports that Bowman was overweight and suffered from health problems, but Hanna said he could not confirm that.

The autopsy report said at death, the 6-foot-1 Bowman weighed 261 pounds.

time.com

Friday, Jan. 11, 2008
Tragedy on Ice: Death of a Showman
By Alice Park

In a world that blends flamboyant costumes with decidedly bland personalities, figure skater Christopher Bowman stood out for his irrepressible individuality and unapologetic, undisciplined approach to the sport. He was one of the skating world's best performers. "He was an extraordinary talent who had wit, intelligence and charm," said his long-time coach Frank Carroll. But Bowman's life was as erratic as his athleticism. Following his retirement from skating in 1992, Bowman returned periodically to the sport, as a coach and commentator. But he was never far from controversy: he was arrested in 2004 when a friend reported he had pointed a loaded gun at her while he had been drinking. And, on Jan. 10, the two-time U.S. champion and Olympic team member was found dead in a hotel in the San Fernando Valley. He was 40 years old. Police are investigating the death as a possible drug overdose.

"This is hard on me, and I'm not totally in charge of my emotions," Carroll told TIME. "It's interesting how you can have a love-hate relationship with somebody and love them, care about them and at the same time, despise the dark side of them that comes about for whatever reason. [That dark side] was disgusting, and basically destroyed a very lovely human being," he said about Bowman's decades of drug abuse.

Nicknamed "Bowman the Showman" for his crowd-pleasing exuberance on the ice, the California native was a talented skater whose party-boy lifestyle and drug use off the ice got in the way of the discipline needed to train as a world class athlete. Prior to his first Olympic appearance in 1998, Bowman checked himself into the Betty Ford Clinic to treat his drug habit, one of at least two times he received treatment for his addiction. "I've told myself I'd be more disciplined," he once said. "It just never seems to work that way."

When Bowman won the silver medal at the World championships in 1989, Carroll, for one, was torn between feeling proud and guilty. "I remember people coming up to me and congratulating me, saying 'Oh, your boy is wonderful, we just love watching him, and he has so much charisma,'" says Carroll. "But inside I was just dying, I was in so much pain because I hadn't seen him for weeks before we left, and the program he was doing — I felt like it was not what this boy could do. I was really in despair because he was also doing drugs."

The sting was especially harsh for Carroll, who is close to Bowman's mother, Joyce, and had coached Bowman for 18 years. The two began lessons when Bowman was five, and Carroll, remembers first laying eyes on baby Christopher and thinking, "this is the most perfect child I've ever seen."

Bowman's contemporaries and rivals in the late 1980s and early 1990s were the heavyweights of the figure skating world: Olympic medalist Paul Wylie, world champion Todd Eldredge, and national medalist Mark Mitchell. Mitchell, who was always surprised by Bowman's ability to compete at the highest level despite his haphazard training schedule, says "the locker room was always very entertaining" when Bowman was around. One of Bowman's favorite stories, with which he regaled teammates over and over again, highlighted his complicated relationship with Carroll. A day after sitting down with Carroll to be lectured on the importance of eating right for an elite athlete, Bowman stocked up on three boxes of doughnuts, which his mother discovered under his bed and promptly brought to the rink. Carroll forced the skater to eat the entire stash — and then put him through a lesson on spins until he threw up. "He loved telling that one," says Mitchell.

Perhaps Bowman's most memorable performance, however, wasn't a feat of skating grace or athletic prowess; it was a shockingly impromptu expression of desperation and determination at the World Figure Skating Championships in 1990. The last two minutes of his long program were "not a pleasant experience," recalls Carroll. Having botched two jump combinations already, Bowman ad-libbed the remainder of his performance, throwing in unplanned jumps in a frenetic attempt to boost his standings. In the strictly conscribed world of competitive figure skating, in which every note of music and each body position on the ice is choreographed to the last detail, such improvisation is anathema, if not disastrous. But it was classic Bowman. He said afterwards: "I had an attack, a strategy, the heart, soul and aggressiveness to challenge." It worked, earning him a bronze medal. It did not, however, make Carroll happy. After years of battling Bowman to train properly, he had finally had enough. "You can't train someone who's untrainable or coach someone who's uncoachable," an exasperated Carroll said following the competition. "I don't see any point in going on like he is now, I really don't."

Frustrated at not being able to help Bowman, Carroll decided to cut off all contact with the skater. "I felt that I needed to use a tough love approach, that if I didn't help him, didn't enable him, that it was a statement that you have to stop doing drugs if you want me in your life," says Carroll. Despite the rebuffs, Bowman continued to email his coach, imploring him at one point just about six months ago, "Come on, Frank, give in." And then the news of his death broke.

Carroll thinks about the times he tolerated Bowman's erratic behavior, visiting the then teen-age athlete at the treatment center, bringing him clothes, and the years of struggle after. Says Carroll: "It's such a helpless feeling, when everything you think you've done has done nothing in the long run."

Back
Top Bottom