Six reasons why I donít buy CDs at the store anymoreÖ - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2003, 01:26 PM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 10:07 AM
Six reasons why I donít buy CDs at the store anymoreÖ

1. easier to preview tracks online rather than drive to the store and wait for an open listening station
2. running out of storage space for all the CDs I bought just for 1 or 2 tracks each
3. I never know what the store has in stock and what they don't and it's a pain to try and find specific CDs in some of these places where their alphabetical tabs have all been moved around out of order
4. expensive ~ I pay less $ for each track online, and don't have to pay for the tracks I don't want. I'm tired of spending $15-20 bucks for a 10-12 song disc with maybe 2 or 3 tracks that I actually like.
5. It just saves time and it's so much easier. Plain and simple.
6. Car listening. Whether you're using a 1 disc player or a 10-disc CD changer in the car, you know what I mean when I say that it's far better to have compilation discs loaded in with songs you like on them. Having a car filled with CDs that you have to change over frequently is a hassle (and sometimes a hazard)

So, Iíve finally come to the point where music shopping online is preferable than to physically go to the store. Not to mention the force-fed radio setlists ~ t's better to make your own compilation CDs and listen to them in your car. I'm curious to know how many other people are following this trend now, and what service has been the best for you. I don't use the file-sharing services, primarily because they're illegal and artists get cheated out of any share. I'm talking soley about the subscription-based ones.

Old 11-11-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:07 PM
I only buy CD's if I've previewed most of teh tracks through Kazaa. Bought Audioslave's debut; Queens of the Stoneage, Songs for the Deaf; B.R.M.C., Black Rebel Motorcycle Club cause of this. The only album I've bought recently without previewing it was Hail to the Theif cause I'm a big Radiohead fan. I'm gonna pick up B.M.R.C.'s latest disc and teh Wren's, the Meadowlands when ever I get up some cash, but I've previewed those too.

Other than that, the only discs I haven't previewed are used CD's I've bought on the cheap. I have no time or money to buy crap albums for two songs.

Old 11-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

singles
Old 11-11-2003, 09:08 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Shhh, this is the kind of talk that gets the RIAA on everyone's case

WE LIKE STOREBOUGHT CDS!
Old 11-11-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
Acrobat

No no we don't. I would if half the stuff lining the shelves weren't absolute garbage. Record companies focus on flash in the pan artists make their money, sell trash and wonder why there's no brand or industry loyalty. No one markets to anyone over 25, even though that's a huge well of customers, casue the youth market's easier to exploit, but now with the internet, youth market's got a free source for their wallpaper music. The record industry has shot itself in the foot and here's someone willing to let it bleed to death and be replaced by something better. Or maybe just maybe they'll wise up before the independents take over and eat what's left of the majors alive.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:47 PM   #6
MacPhisto's serving wench

I can't afford $25 for three songs. It's ridiculous, unfeasible, and utterly incomprehensible to understand why I, a lowly, poor student, would shell out the last of my gas money on an overpriced piece of (what? What the hell are cds made of anyway?) that I'll only listen to three or four times before relegating it to my shelf between Holly McNarland and the Foo Fighters when I can get those same three tracks online for free. I wouldn't mind so much if bands cared about making great music, but it seems like, in a lot (NOT ALL), but many cases, they've got their 'single' songs and the rest are filler.

I don't want to pay for elevator music.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 02:07 PM

It seems sad to me that the concept of 'the album' seems to be flying out the window...
Old 11-11-2003, 10:38 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Ya but you can blame artists and record companies for 'the album' going out the window. There are artists still out there that have albums that actually have a begining and a finish.

If you want a great cd, get the last album by Warren Zevon, i cant remember its name but it is all made after he found out he had cancer and was dying. It is a great emotional album!
Old 11-12-2003, 02:52 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
If you want a great cd, get the last album by Warren Zevon, i cant remember its name but it is all made after he found out he had cancer and was dying. It is a great emotional album!
It sure as hell is. I heard one of the songs, "Keep Me In Your Heart", off of there...good god, I was bawling the first time I heard it. Very sad song. But a nice way of saying goodbye.

Anywho...I'll still buy CDs from my favorite bands simply because I'm guaranteed that at least most, if not all, of the album will be good.

But if there's an artist whose music I'm thinking of getting into more, I'll download some of their songs first. I'm not going to spend close to twenty bucks on a CD that maybe has two or three songs at most that I like, or even think are remotely okay.

That, and in the last town I lived in, the stores there sold pretty much next to nothing in the way of my favorite artists' CDs and stuff...so I had to resort to downloading the songs off the albums I didn't find in stores and just making them at home. Now that I live near two big cities, that won't be happening as much.

Angela
Old 11-12-2003, 03:01 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

i like buying cds because the bands i listen to still seem to be putting out consistant albums, or albums with consistantly good songs and not this 2 or 3 +filler that everyone seems to be complaining about. who would have thought that there were bands still putting out cds with multiple good songs on them?
Old 11-12-2003, 03:16 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:07 AM
I like buying CDs because of the damned artwork. I mean, the music's great, but I've got ways to get that.

I'm not going to d/l a bunch of crappy jpegs though.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:28 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

cd quality is superior too.

album artwork the new shins album comes to mind, as does the cd booklet from bad religion's live album tested.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:28 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I will support my favourite artists. I'll buy their CD, I'll go to their tours if I can, maybe buy shirts or whatever. But my whole family is broke. I LOVE music and we simply can't afford all the CDs I would have to buy to be satisfied.

I download a lot of songs just to see if I like them, and maybe 4 out of 10 I like and keep. If I then like the artist, I download a few more songs and then maybe an album. If I like the album enough, I'll probably buy it.

If I took a lot of recommendations like I do now, I would have about 100 CDs I didn't like. And think how much those probably cost! Just wasted. Before I started downloading, I bought a couple albums every now and then on recommendation or based solely on one good song, and I was disappointed. It's just not worth the money to spend it all on CDs I probably won't like.

So what I'm trying to say is, if I like them enough, I'll support them. I mainly use p2p programs to preview music, much in the same way people use the radio or MTV. (Which, while legal, are stupid, time-wasting narrow ways to find music. Unless, I suppose, it's a college radio station or something.) I just don't find them good avenues for good music that I actually LIKE. So much garbage is played that it's difficult to find anything worth listening to. You have to sell out to be played on a major network or station, or have a huge breakthrough. And that isn't the type of music I'd enjoy.

[/ramble]
Old 11-12-2003, 11:16 AM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 04:07 AM
Personally, I love buying cds. So much better than just having mp3's. Also, it makes you loyal to the band to be able to say you have their album, not just have a few songs of them on mp3.

But I personally find that I like most songs on a cd I get.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:22 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by elevatedmole
I will support my favourite artists. I'll buy their CD, I'll go to their tours if I can, maybe buy shirts or whatever. But my whole family is broke. I LOVE music and we simply can't afford all the CDs I would have to buy to be satisfied.

I download a lot of songs just to see if I like them, and maybe 4 out of 10 I like and keep. If I then like the artist, I download a few more songs and then maybe an album. If I like the album enough, I'll probably buy it.

If I took a lot of recommendations like I do now, I would have about 100 CDs I didn't like. And think how much those probably cost! Just wasted. Before I started downloading, I bought a couple albums every now and then on recommendation or based solely on one good song, and I was disappointed. It's just not worth the money to spend it all on CDs I probably won't like.

So what I'm trying to say is, if I like them enough, I'll support them. I mainly use p2p programs to preview music, much in the same way people use the radio or MTV. (Which, while legal, are stupid, time-wasting narrow ways to find music. Unless, I suppose, it's a college radio station or something.) I just don't find them good avenues for good music that I actually LIKE. So much garbage is played that it's difficult to find anything worth listening to. You have to sell out to be played on a major network or station, or have a huge breakthrough. And that isn't the type of music I'd enjoy.

[/ramble]
Excellent post, I also want to say that I consider myself a collector and am proud of what i have.....