Six reasons why I don’t buy CDs at the store anymore… - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:52 AM
what the riaa fails to realize is that most people who download music WILL go out and buy a cd if they like the artist enough. the days of spending 15 bucks on an album for 1 song are over... the sooner they realize this, the better off they'll be

Old 11-12-2003, 11:54 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Shhh, this is the kind of talk that gets the RIAA on everyone's case

WE LIKE STOREBOUGHT CDS!
brookeburkesluv was talking about purchasing mp3s online, not file-sharing. Perfectly legal.

Anyway, I've only done it once, with Elbow's "Ribcage" single for 99p, but I would do it for other bands that I like if they aren't releasing the single in another format, just because I'd want to support them, not out of any moral opposition to file-sharing. I like the new trend of having mp3s from an album available before the album is released if you pre-order it online. Of course, I'm just a format whore and buy some albums/singles on cd, dvd, AND vinyl (even though I don't have a record player). Then I upload them to my computer because it's easier than hunting down the cd.

Old 11-12-2003, 12:26 PM   #18
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:52 AM
i very seldom buy cds at stores. i usually buy them online, through amazon.com. the cds are a lot cheaper through there and no sales tax. plus if i buy them two at a time ($25+ orders), i can get free shipping.

for individual songs, i download them off of itunes, cuz they're only a buck each, but if it's a cd i want but don't need (like not by an artist i really care about), i'll buy it off of there. it's cool because you can get a 15 track cd for $9.99.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:24 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
what the riaa fails to realize is that most people who download music WILL go out and buy a cd if they like the artist enough. the days of spending 15 bucks on an album for 1 song are over... the sooner they realize this, the better off they'll be
Exactly. By making a big fuss, they're just making people more reluctant to support them.

Also, very nicely said, elevatedmole. .

Angela
Old 11-12-2003, 02:22 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:52 AM
I am still as choosy in buying CDs as I was when I was a punk kid with no income. As a result, I don't own much that I don't find redeeming in some way, whether the whole album is great or just has a few really worthwhile songs. I'm very much still into the album concept--artwork, liner notes, lyric sheets, photos, goodies (like with Scarlet's Walk by Tori Amos, which came with tons of stuff). My CD purchasing habits aren't 100% foolproof, but I'm willing to take the risk of owning a few crap albums so that I can own lots and lots of excellent ones.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:28 PM   #21
Babyface

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

brookeburkesluv was talking about purchasing mp3s online, not file-sharing. Perfectly legal.
Exactly. I don't believe in free file sharing, that's for sure. If you use a free-file sharing service, you run the risk of getting a virus, a bad file, or a lawsuit. Plus, downloading all those files to listen to them is cumbersome. Not all subscription-based services are convenient either. iTunes only lets you preview 30 seconds of a track, then you have to buy it for 99 cents to hear the whole thing. At the office where I work we use Rhapsody (bestbuy.com/rhapsody), which is much easier (and cheap at $10 a month ~ we share it, so it's split up between six people). It's great because we get unlimited listening to just about anything we can think of all day, including U2. We like to take turns playing "DJ". I agree that there's no substitute for getting the commercial CD from an artist whose music you know you're going to really like. But if you just want music playing all day and you're usually around a computer, you can't beat something like Rhapsody. Plus, if you listen to CDs in the car a lot you know the value of having compilations handy. I have a 10-disc changer under the backseat and I make compilation CDs with Rhapsody so I don't have to change out discs as often. (they charge 79 cents per track burn)
Another thing I can think of that has 'converted' me to this type of online music buying is that it's so immediate. In the past, if I thought of something I hadn't heard in a long time and wanted a copy of, I would have to wait until I made a trip to the store to look for it. Then, assuming I remembered what it was that I wanted to get once I was actually at the store, I would have to hope that they had it in stock. Now, when I suddenly think of a CD I want to hear, I can immediately look it up on Rhapsody and start playing it.
Last, but not least, the artist gets paid when we burn tracks and that's important to me. Sure, they don't get paid as much as they should, but they don't get as much as they should from sales off a commercial CD either. The label gets the biggest cut of that too. Funny thing is, people complain about supporting the artist, but nobody has ever complained about buying used CDs from used music stores and the only people who see a red cent from a used CD sale is the store. Neither the artist nor the label gets anything.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:44 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

For what it's worth, I've been using p2p programs since February this year and I've only gotten one virus.

Amd brookeburkesluv, the used CD thing has occurred to me too. It's very odd. I rarely buy any new CDs unless they're impossible to find or if they're one of my favourite artists or something like that. It's surprising how labels bitch and whine about p2p programs yet do not say a single thing about used CDs. Yeah, I know, p2p programs are more "dangerous" to the label, but it's still odd.

And thanks EP and Moonlit_Angel
Old 11-12-2003, 02:46 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I agree with you Headache, I was making fun of the RIAA.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:54 PM   #24
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
You're absolutely right, and this is another thing about services like Rhapsody; I've actually discovered far more obscure music with Rhapsody than I EVER would just from radio, MTV, friends or even going to the record store. That's because I have the ability to immediately listen to everything. It's easy to browse by genre and just listen to the whole CD. I've been listening to stuff I never would have tried to find in a record store, such as vintage lounge, Indian music, Brazillian pop, etc... you name it, it's in here. And what does that mean? That I will BUY far more music from artists that normally wouldn't get the sales.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:37 PM   #25
Babyface

BTW, I hope this question isn't to irritatingly dumb, but what does RIAA stand for?
Old 11-14-2003, 04:05 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Recording Industry Association of America.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:49 PM   #27
War Child

I loaded all my Cds onto my ipod and it definately makes me look at all my cds and think gee will i ever touch them again?
Old 11-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #28
Acrobat

CDs at the store are original, we have the booklet, they smells like new (if you know what I mean) and 100 downloaded cds can´t substitute an original one. However, actually I only buy cds of bands that I really like... the others I have to download because Cds are sooooooooo expensive here
Old 11-17-2003, 04:00 AM   #29
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I've never downloaded an entire album. I download a few songs, and if I like them all then I go out and buy the cd, or order it through Amazon. Simple as that.

Come to think of it, I can't really remember the last time I actually downloaded music - it was probably within the first few months of the iTunes music service opening up. And even then I paid for the tunes. Nowadays most of my purchases come off of either recommendations from friends, hearing songs on the radio, or finally buying albums I've been meaning to get for a while.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:30 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Purchasing music on ITunes doesn't work outside the US apparently. ;mad: