Sinus Infections - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Sinus Infections

Has anyone experienced a sinus infection here? What are your tips or treatments to curing this? My boyfriend has had a sinus infection for awhile and nothing has seemed to help. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks!

Old 03-18-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:45 PM
antibiotics.

They can take weeks to go away if you don't treat.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 12:45 PM
What Brau said.
He needs antibiotics.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:40 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Well he was prescribed antibiotics and they only seem to work for a short amount of time. I wonder if surgery would be better or a waste of time.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:28 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Sometimes it takes more than one round of antibiotics to clear it out--and sometimes it takes a stronger form of antibiotics. I know people who have had surgery--some say they are better, and some say it didn't make much difference! As for me, taking antibiotics for a couple of weeks, a couple of times a year, beats the heck out of surgery!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:03 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, I usually get one a year. In the past they've all been viral, which means antibiotics won't help and all you can do is treat the symptoms. Usually I get one following a bout of influenza, and the sinus infection part lasts at least a month. In 2005 I had a series of viral infections that lasted from Jan - June and saw the doctors several times. They told me that viral sinus infections usually do take at least a month to clear. Mine kept coming back b/c I got very sick in Africa and my body was already exhausted and fragile, so I just couldn't kick it. Each time, they made sure I didn't have malaria, but then said to just keep getting rest and taking the OTC meds to treat the symptoms.

Over Christmas I got a bacterial infection which resulted in a sinus infection, periorbital cellulitis in both eyes, and a weird skin infection/abscess on my head. For this I took heavy antibiotics since it was bacterial. For the sinus infection symptoms, I did my normal routine of any OTC sinus formula with a daytime and nighttime regimen.

I've never considered surgery, but I will say that the one year I did not get a viral sinus infection was the year I had a flu shot.

Make sure he's only getting antibiotics for something that antibiotics actually treat (i.e., not a virual infection caused by a bad cold or influenza - for those you need antivirals, if they are available/necessary). The more you take antibiotics, the less impact they will have.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I get sinus infections 3-4x a year. But usually when the doctor puts me on antibiotics I feel a million times better in 2-3 days. But even while I'm on the antibiotics they tell me to keep taking the OTC meds I was taking (sudafed, tylenol). He should go back to the doctor, he may need more than what they prescribed. I had a terrible one this summer and the doctor put me on 2 antibiotics (one that was so strong I had to take a different medicine with it so that my stomach wouldn't reject it) and a nasal spray. Are they recurring? If so, go to an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor. They sometimes will put you on a 3 or 6 week course of antibiotics that should lessen the amount of infections you get in the future.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It won't cure the infection, but saline spray and a steam humidifier can relieve symptoms. Allergies can also mimic sinus infections - that happened with me. I was allergic to dust mites, it turned out. I bought an air cleaner and non-allergic pillow cover, which helped.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

That's a good idea ntalwar.

Sami, he's gone to an ENT. The doctor prescribed him antibiotics and it worked for awhile. But now he's suffering with it. OTC drugs are not working very well either.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Did he try Levaquin its a heavy duty antibiotic taken for 10 days @ 500mg? Then if he still has a problem the doctor could give him a Z-pack for 5 days which also lasts for 5 days after ending the medicine.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

It seems that doctors usually want to start you out on the weakest antibiotics, which don't always work, then they have to step up to "the big guns." Like jcoster, I've had luck with Z-pack, as well as Keflex and Augmentin.