Single Greatest Album of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i wanted to add this one too...

it's the most cohesive collection of songs by various artists i've ever purchased.

all kick tremendous amounts of ass. i'll thank cbc radio 3 for this bad boy.

saturdaymorningempires.jpg

please?

how about all the fucking poseurs who name drop jazz artists while deep inside, money's on them not even liking the bloody genre itself.

definitely not saying you're one of them, but like i said, i reckon there's a few who get their rocks off by doing so.

insert arrogant smiley here.

I'm going to name two.

I'm a jackass like that.

Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin II:
A cohesive, single-driven record that is responsible for spawning some of the most derivative crap bands in history. The transition from Side A to Side B is one of the best ever.

wpe1B.jpg

My Bloody Valentine- Loveless:
The genetic code for almost every good record that followed (especially for bands like Radiohead, Sigur Rós, and any of the post-rock ambient practitioners) was transcribed from Loveless. Elements of the sounds from this album can be heard in the roots of early 90's alternative, and its cult status is (I would argue) as widespread and potent as The Velvet Underground & Nico and any of The Smiths' work.

4097-My-Bloody-Valentine.jpg

------

Oh, and for those wondering what Mr.Brau was trying to post at the beginning of this thread, here it is:

rush-2112.jpg

:sexywink:

Last edited:
While I'm a big Radiohead fan, and agree with the choice of Kid A as one of the greatest, and agree with others, particularly Led Zeppelin IV, this is undoubtedly the greatest album of all time:

hiwy61_l.jpg

From start to finish, I've never heard a better album and one that goes on revealing new layers and new nuances every time you listen to it. If you don't agree, read Jack Kerouac's On the Road and you'll understand.

Lancemc said:
Blonde on Blonde is one of my least favorite Dylan albums (out of the ones i own, I sure don't have all 40-something of his).

If we're talking Dylan it's Blood on the Tracks and Highway 61 all the way.

I wholeheartedly agree. Blonde On Blonde has always sounded better live for me than in the studio. Something about it that's not quite right.

PookaMacP said:

I wholeheartedly agree. Blonde On Blonde has always sounded better live for me than in the studio. Something about it that's not quite right.

Speaking of this btw, does this album count?

B00000D9TO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

According to iTunes, I've listened to this album more than 40 times.

Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues live is heaven.

And on another note, Bringing It All Back Home > Highway 61 Revisited in my humble opinion.

Just for fun, I'll rank his 60's efforts:

Blonde On Blonde
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Nashville Skyline
Another Side of Bob Dylan
The Times They Are A-Changing
Bob Dylan

Haven't got John Wesley Harding actually :reject:

Last edited:
Two picks

Best rock album ever:
Beatles%20-%20Revolver.jpg

Best instrumental album ever:
B00000J7SS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And no, I don't think putting Miles Davis is supposed to be fancy in any way. I just think he was the most innovative musician in the 20th century, along with the Beatles.

As much as i love U2 i don't think any cd is better than Joshua tree. I am excited for the 20th anniversary.

If I didn't count U2 I would say Fleetwood Mac's Rumours

Re: Re: Single Greatest Album of All Time

BonoManiac said:
BTW, Utoo you never stated what is your album?

My own personal album would be Joshua Tree. If I were stranded on a desert island with the choice of only one album, that would probably be it (though it's not my choice 100% of the time...).

Objectively, all personal choice aside, I would have to agree with several people here and say Revolver. It's significant not only as a turning point in the career path of the Beatles, but, on the heels of Paperback Writer, made the idea of studio experimentation "cool" for all of musicdom. It's almost like the George Lucas of music--love it or hate it, the art has never been the same since.

U2Man said:
revolver is without doubt the most important pop album ever, i tell ya.

:up:

I wonder what it was like in '65-'66 when people who bought Rubber Soul heard Revolver.

Quite possibly the biggest change in style from album to album ever.

Man, I spent countless hours listening to that album when I was in sixth grade.

I had a Michael Jackson poster where he was wearing this yellow sweater vest ... my grandma knitted me one just like it.

I loved it.

:reject:

Thriller is the best pop album ever.

Not just the 3 classics, but

P.Y.T., The Girl is Mine, and Wanna Be Startin' Something are all top-notch :up:

U2Man said:
dont you remember the Joshua Tree grammy year? i vaguely remember that.

No. Oddly enough I don't. I had cassettes of Grammy 86 and 87. Grammy 88 I completely missed and didn't even have on cassette. I think that's when JT won. Then I remember everything from 89 onwards. The irony! :lol:

Here's a slice of nostalgia for ya...

http://www.80s.com/Entertainment/Music/Grammys/

:sexywink:

it was 87.

i remember that i wanted michael jackson's bad to win that year. i was annoyed when u2 won. i was only 8 years old :lmao:

U2Man said:
it was 87.

i remember that i wanted michael jackson's bad to win that year. i was annoyed when u2 won. i was only 8 years old :lmao:

That's great! :lmao: I used to be like that too! Preferred pop music to rock in those days.

Btw, it WAS 88! Check the link I posted. Awards for 87 presented in 88.

Back
Top Bottom