Single Greatest Album of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got tired of most of the classics that are mentioned so far. So I'm going with Kid A as well. So far it's been impossible for me to get tired of and everytime I play it swear I love it just a little bit more. But it's definitely a close tie with OKC, my two favorite records of all time.

Utoo said:
No lists. No ties. One all-powerful, awe-inspiring, god-smacking album.

What's yours?

I think what the original poster is asking here is "what's YOUR single greatest album of all time" and not what is "THE SINGLE GREATEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME."

Seriously, asking people to name the single greatest album of all-time, out of the thousands upon thousands of albums out there is impossible.

But people here are posting their "all-powerful, awe-inspiring, god-smacking album" which is why people are choosing OKC or Kid A. Music is subjective.

For me, my single greatest album of all-time is Achtung Baby. Every song is a good one and it never gets old, no matter how many times I've listened to it. Sometimes, I feel like this is an album that should be coming out now. For me, it was trully ahead of it's time. But is it THE single greatest album of all-time? Again, that is an impossible question to answer.

BTW, Utoo you never stated what is your album?

corianderstem said:
All this Radiohead drooling makes me cry. I swear, every thread in B&C turns into a Radiohead drool-fest. :(

Even the threads about guilty pop pleasures or thrash death metal.

:yes:

corianderstem said:
All this Radiohead drooling makes me cry. I swear, every thread in B&C turns into a Radiohead drool-fest. :(

Even the threads about guilty pop pleasures or thrash death metal.

Definitely. Let's turn this thread into a militant anti-Radiohead thread :drool:

:lol:

The single greatest album of all time? Everything ever released that wasn't by Radiohead!

I kid, I kid.

In the true spirit of the thread ... I'm having a hard time picking my own personal "single greatest album of all time."

I'm waffling between:

The Joshua Tree
Revolver
Achtung Baby

Although it's hard for me partially because I'm not so much an "album girl." I'm all about the singles and a great song. I'm not the best person to say "this album flows really well" or "what a cohesive work of audio art!"

Now I feel like changing my answer to Achtung Baby. Really, it's hard to answer this question. It could be any of the following:

Abbey Road
Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
Automatic For The People
The Bends
Little Earthquakes
Kid A

:shrug:

Granted, we're all 80s, 90s or 00s kids so people that grew up, say, in the 60s or 70s may laugh at these replies. :wink:

Even though I'd like to admit that we try to look at every decade to arrive at the decision, theres always a bias to what you grew up listening to!

I always have a hard time trying to decide whether Achtung or Automatic is the better album. I definitely have a closer personal attachment to Achtung, and Zoo TV really puts it over the edge, but Automatic is such a sublimely beautiful, eclectic, near-perfect masterpiece.

Both are keystones of 90's popular music. :drool:

That makes him about 80 years old... wow! Wonder who is older, him or u2granny!

I only brought up u2granny cos of the word granny, dunno how old she is. :shifty:

Lancemc said:
Both are keystones of 90's popular music. :drool:

Hell yes!!! For the longest time (thru the 90s) they were my #1 and #2 albums and not much else came close. Granted, I hadn't heard much or hardly anything from the 60s or 70s at that time. So no competition from the likes of Abbey Road or Revolver. :wink:

if losing my religion had been on automatic, then my opinion would probably have been different.

find the river :drool:

Losing My Religion was the very first REM song I heard... actually watched the video for on a pre-grammy TV special :lol: back in 1990 or whenever! Loved the song from the very beginning and it's probably my all-time fav REM song.

Losing My Religion is also one of the most important songs of the 90's.

It's fucking amazing too. :drool:

my personal favourite is Pop of course but it'd be hard to argue that as the greatest album of all time

Abbey Road is overrated. If we're going Beatles I'd say the White album.

Achtung Baby is a strong contender.

and there's always Hendrix...

axis.jpg

:drool:

I love Radiohead but they nothing of theirs is worthy of being the greatest album of all time. In the top ten, maybe, but not #1.

it would be fun to do one of these threads and disallow beatles, u2 and radiohead.

ok, because this takes place on interference, we're gonna disallow pink floyd too.

Blonde on Blonde is one of my least favorite Dylan albums (out of the ones i own, I sure don't have all 40-something of his).

If we're talking Dylan it's Blood on the Tracks and Highway 61 all the way.

Lancemc said:
Blonde on Blonde is one of my least favorite Dylan albums (out of the ones i own, I sure don't have all 40-something of his).

If we're talking Dylan it's Blood on the Tracks and Highway 61 all the way.

Blood on the tracks is fantastic, surely my second-favourite of his. But Blonde on Blonde has no weak tracks. Not one. You can't say that about Blood on the tracks. And Highway 61 is a great collection of songs, but they're just so much better live. Again, you CAN say that about Blonde on Blonde, but I would say that most of them actually holds up just as well as the live versions.

Blonde on Blonde all the way.

Back
Top Bottom