Singer Marc Cohn Shot in Denver - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Singer Marc Cohn Shot in Denver

[q] Singer Marc Cohn Shot in Denver

Mon Aug 08, 8:05 PM ET

Marc Cohn may like to walk in Memphis, but it will be a while before he takes a stroll anywhere near Denver's 16th Street Mall.

The "Walking in Memphis" singer was shot Sunday in the mile-high city, according to the Denver Police department.

Per a DPD statement released Monday, Cohn was shot in the head late Sunday evening during an attempted carjacking outside a downtown hotel.

Cohn is said to be recovering after doctors successfully removed a bullet from his temple.

The Grammy-winning singer-songwriter, married to ABC News' Elizabeth Vargas, is expected to make a full recovery.

Vargas is in Colorado with her husband, who has already been released from Denver's Health Medical Center.

"All of us at ABC News are thinking of Marc and Elizabeth at this time and wish Marc a speedy recovery," an ABC News publicist said in a statement released to E! Monday. "The good news is that he will be fine. Elizabeth has made her way to Denver to be with Marc, and they are likely to return to New York soon."

Cohn, who was in Denver to play a sold-out concert at the city's botanical gardens, was shot by a man named Joseph Yachteen, according to police.

Police have released a picture of the suspect, in addition to the license-plate number of the car he was last seen in, to local media--they hope to have him in custody soon.

Yachteen is suspected of attempting to carjack Cohn's vehicle, as the 25-year-old allegedly fired a shot into the singer's rented van, grazing the driver (Cohn's road manager Thomas Dube) and seriously injuring Cohn.

Both Dube and Cohn were treated and released for their respective bullet wounds.

Cops nearly arrested Yachteen yesterday, but he slipped away by fleeing on Denver's Stout Street, which intersects with the city's 16th Street Mall.

He was last seen carjacking a Subaru Forester at 14th and Stout, where he allegedly forced four white males out of the car.

An arrested warrant has been issued for Yachteen, who is wanted for first-degree murder and multiple aggravated robbery charges.

Cohn, who rose to fame in 1991 after his eponymously titled Atlantic Records debut clicked with fans and critics alike, hopes to rejoin his current tour with Suzanne Vega as soon as he recovers--perhaps even by Thursday when the tour stops in Chicago. If Cohn is unable to rejoin the tour, he said he'll do his best to reschedule the missed gigs. [/q]

Old 08-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Wow, he was shot in the temple and still survived! That's amazing.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:21 PM
What a horrible thing to happen to anyone! But it's great that they expect him to make a full recovery. Best wishes to him.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Oh my God. I can't believe he's okay after that! Such a nice guy. I'd met him a couple of times years ago in NYC--his first wife was an acquaintance for a brief period through some mutual friends. I had no idea he was married to Elizabeth Vargas now, though. I know that neighborhood pretty well, too, and have made my way through its streets many a late night after shows. Now I'll do so more cautiously.

And I hate cute opening lines to serious news stories.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

And I hate cute opening lines to serious news stories.
I agree.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Oh, my goodness. Wow.

Glad to hear he's expected to recover . That is quite amazing, especially considering where he was shot. But yes, glad he'll be all right. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Angela
Old 08-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Hope he'll be okay!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Amazing story... he & the driver were struck by the bullet & both survived! Glad to hear police caught the punk-ass loser who shot them, too.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75

I agree.
For real. Hopefully the people that come up with those lines will experience the most humiliating circumstances someday.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Wow - that's quite extraordinary. You don't hear of too many people shot in the head who survive...
Old 08-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:21 AM
He's very lucky. Good to hear he's going to recover
Old 08-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Just read about this in USA Today paper. What a terribel thing to happen. Sure hope that he will be ok.