Sinead O'Connor To Retire From Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.billboard.com/

In a message posted in the forum on her official Web site, enigmatic Irish artist Sinead O'Connor has declared that this summer she will seek to discard her celebrity. "As of July 2003 I shall be retiring from the music business [in] order to pursue a different career," she writes. A spokesperson for Vanguard Records, O'Connor's U.S. label, confirmed to Billboard.com that the message is authentic.

The decision may be linked to a fatigue syndrome that recently caused the O'Connor to cancel a string of European performances with U.K. act Massive Attack. Afterward, her site's Webmaster reported that the artist was "advised to rest as much as possible over the next few months."

Before retiring completely, O'Connor has several projects to finish. "The last recordings I will make will be (believe it or not) a track for Dolly Parton's upcoming tribute album and a track for [Irish accordionist] Sharon Shannon's forthcoming album," she writes. The tracks will be recorded sometime next month.

The final release of O'Connor's career will be a concert and documentary DVD she says will be released in July. Titled "Goodnight, Thank You. You've Been a Lovely Audience," the artist says it will feature "tracks from way back," as well as songs from last year's Vanguard album "Sean Nos Nua."

"Thanks to all of ye for a great time and a great education," O'Connor glibly states in her farewell announcement.

O'Connor released a total of seven albums and one EP, beginning with 1987's "The Lion & the Cobra" (Chrysalis). Her second album, 1990's "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" (Ensign/Chrysalis), reached No. 1 on Billboard's album chart.

Just before the release of "Sean Nos Nua" -- which debuted at No. 6 on Billboard's Top Independent Albums chart and No. 139 on The Billboard 200 -- O'Connor told Billboard she wanted to make further recordings, including a country album, a religious/spiritual album, a set of opera songs, and even a children's album. She also said she hoped to begin recording a new album in late 2003.

The balance of O'Connor's message is a plea to be left alone once she detaches herself from the music industry. "I would request that as of July, since I seek no longer to be a 'famous' person, and instead I wish to live a 'normal' life, could people please afford me my privacy," she says.

" am a very shy person, believe it or not. So I ask with love, that I be left in peace and privacy by people who love my records too. And I hope it doesn't sound rude. It ain't meant rude. I am glad that ye are helped by my songs. So help me too, by giving me what is best for me, a private life.

"My advise [sic] to anyone who ever admires a so called 'celebrity' if u see them in the street, don't even look at them. If u love them, then the lovingest [sic] thing u can do to show them so is leave them alone and don't stare at them! Or bang on restaurant windows when they in there. Or make them get their picture taken, or write their names on bits of paper. That's pieces of them. And one day they wake up with nothing left of themselves to give."

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

"Discard her celebrity?" Honey, I think your celebrity discarded YOU back in 1990. Wow, she must be living in her own private idaho or something.

Anyway, I liked "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got," especially "Last Day Of Our Aquaintance" & "Black Boys On Mopeds." Her version of Prince's "Nothing Compares To You absolutely sux tho. Gross!

oh wow, I've only just started reading this,it's a bit too sad
Sinead
I love her
oh darlin' girl, be well
rest, recover, please
take your time

this is very sad indeed

and on such a day...seriously sad news

she has one of the most incredible voices. I love so many of her songs but she has added her voice to so many other people's songs too. It always rings thru.
I think I reacted so strongly then, because it sounds as though she is dealing with chronic fatigue, and I know about that. I just received the CFS/ME local newsletter and only read it a few days ago. It can be a sad sad thing to live with. I suppose Sinead has access to good doctors. One of the testimonilas I read actaully was from a woman in Ireland. She had trouble finding someone to believe her fatigue. www.nrg.com.au/~nrmecfs/

I also adore Dolly, when I am in a particular mood, another gifted singer imho. Sharon Shannon played near here a couple of months ago. I heard her on the radio and wanted to go to her show.
Oh this is sad news, but I hope she recovers and comes back to us. Her children will rally behind her. She will need her friends and loved ones.

Last edited:
:(

This makes me really sad. I love Sinead. Like cass said, she's got an incredible voice and she's made some incredible music. I don't know of many artists who are as brave as she is, imo. I was hoping to see her in concert soon and to anticipating new music for many years...

she has a beautiful voice and has used it very beautifully over the years. too bad we soon won't have anything else new to hear.

*runs to listen to Thief of your Heart

HeadsOnSticks said:
"Discard her celebrity?" Honey, I think your celebrity discarded YOU back in 1990. Wow, she must be living in her own private idaho or something.

The U.S. isn't exactly the center of the universe, you know. And, in case you've been living under a rock, she has quite a dedicated fan base.

Melon

As for the CFS, if I were her, I'd get my cortisol levels tested. She may have officially stressed herself into adrenal exhaustion.

I've had my bouts with CFS, and I never take "mystery" for an answer.

Melon

Yeah I was just thinking, no sinead o'conner thread would be complete without the obligatory sniper coming in to tear her a new asshole. What the hell has she ever done that is so terrible?

Hasn't she said this for, like, 4 times already?
Don't fear, I think she may come back in a short while.

C ya!

Marty (not really a fan, but not anti either)

Too bad.
Hotpress.com also has an article about her retirement.
If she has CFS that could certainly explain it. My Mom has had it since before anyone knew it existed. It can be very debilitating. Some people seem to be able to find relief from it and other can't.
She is very talented. She'll be a success at whatever she has decided to do.

I will miss her haircut (I've tried to base my haircuts off of hers)

Sinead did a beautiful cover of Bob Dylan's "I Believe in You"

Last edited:
poor Sinead

imho.

I was grooving to Live ben harper on the radio on Sunday. When that show ended, they played Sinead singing "1000 mirrors" with Asian Dub Foundation. The DJ just couldn't resist joining the pack. He said "possibly her last performance...if she is to be believed" He was referring to her previous withdrawals from the music scene ( ummmm she has 2 young kids , you media sharks, she had to squeeze them into her career somewhere), but a particularly cruel thing to say if she does have CFS.
I grow tired of the cynicism and disrespect and the media all reporting the same old bits of misinformation....

Blessed be Sinead...get well soon

**edited for multiple typos"

Last edited:
I just want to say also...I think To Mother You is one of The most beautiful songs. Her performance on Christy Moore's album, duetting on "Middle of the Island", her rendition of Scarlet Ribbons, Success has Made A failure of My Home, 3 Babies....she is very special to me. The Gospel Oak Ep is great value if anyone doesn't have it already who reads this.

This Is a rebel song...."how come you never said you loved me..."
I love you Sinead...."the taste of you , shall always be with me.."
Thanks for the music.

Back
Top Bottom