'Sin City'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
Just curious as to what anyone else's opinion of this movie was. I saw it last night. Very violent, indeed. Not the best movie as far as acting performances, but it looked so damn cool, and seeing Jessica Alba was worth the ticket price alone. Surprisingly disturbing performance by Elijiah Wood, too. This is definitely not a chick flick!

being based on miller's comic book it is supposed to be true to the book and because of that it sounds like it's strengths are in the visuals and not so much with the acting or plot for that matter. I'm going to check it out soon.

Acting was all good or great, even from people that usually aren't (Josh Hartnett, Brittany Murphy). Women were hot, guys were ultra cool. I thought Clive Owen was a standout, which isn't surprising as he's one of the best actors in the bunch.

The visuals, of course, were phenomenal. I've read some of the Sin City books, and it really is amazing how well they were able to capture the comic panels.

However, after leaving the theatre I realized it wasn't resonating with me very much. To compare it to another recent geek favorite, I was much more emotionally connected to Kill Bill, where you actually could feel something for Uma Thurman's character (especially in Vol. 2). Sin City was great to experience, and as a film noir buff it was so refreshing to see something like it in the theaters. But I'm not really thinking too much about it a day later.

Bring on Revenge of the Sith...

laz

lazarus said:
I thought Clive Owen was a standout, which isn't surprising as he's one of the best actors in the bunch.

Personally, I thought Mickey Rourke gave the best performance, but overall I enjoyed pretty much every aspect; very violent. 9/10 from me.

<-------- very cool indeed!!!
Nate Dogg said:
This is definitely not a chick flick!

ummm, i'm a chick, and i've been dying to see this for months! i love movies with visual appeal, and it looks like this one has it in spades! also with robert rodriguez co-directing with frank miller himself, and quentin tarantino :drool: guest directing - i am SO there!

Re: Re: 'Sin City'

lmjhitman said:
<-------- very cool indeed!!!

ummm, i'm a chick, and i've been dying to see this for months! i love movies with visual appeal, and it looks like this one has it in spades! also with robert rodriguez co-directing with frank miller himself, and quentin tarantino :drool: guest directing - i am SO there!

Okay,okay...point taken ...but it's no "Mona Lisa Smile"....:wink:

Re: Re: Re: 'Sin City'

Nate Dogg said:
it's no "Mona Lisa Smile"....:wink:

eeeewww... :yuck:

i guess i'm just a chick who hates chick flicks :shrug:

I saw it last night. Had big expectations. Wasn't disappointed.

It was fairly violent but all Kill Bill-esque, as in you laughed at it rather than be grossed out. I'm kind of a fan of his anyway, but I loved the character of Kevin. I don't know why. I guess I like demented mute cannibals. :wink:

Generally, everyone was acceptable (Clive Owen was probably the best) but Jessica Alba's acting was very weak. It was very obvious that she had no idea how to act in front of a bluescreen, and that one scene where she was driving, she had her head cocked to the side and a stilted smile and her eyes were fixed on an object, and it really creeped me out. :|

Anyway, 8.5/10 :up:

I really want to see this film, even if only to view those cutting-edge special effects. I definitely hope I like the script, however, just as I loved the "Kill Bill" script.

What a great coincidence, really, as I had a very hectic day in NYC yesterday, where I did some informational interviews, etc. with alumni from my college. They really got me thinking about the need to "focus" on what I want to do, and I think I really want to get into special effects. Thanks to "Independence Day" in 1996, that's the reason I even studied this industry to begin with...lol.

Melon

I saw this today and thought it was fabulous.

I am a CHICK, and I HATE CHICK FLICKS. Bring on more DICK FLICKS.

HelloAngel said:
I saw this today and thought it was fabulous.

I am a CHICK, and I HATE CHICK FLICKS. Bring on more DICK FLICKS.

:applaud:

amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

gimme big explosions and blood please.

(speaking of which...i saw saw this week.....:ohmy:...hardly slept a wink!)

:lmao: @ helloangel

careful what you wish for....

Last edited:
DaveC said:
I think the shot of a writhing Jessica Alba dressed in leather is worth the price of admission alone. :combust:

Sorry to disappoint you, DaveC, but the dancing-in-the-bar isn't in it very much. :wink:

I was let down. Jessica Alba isn't a very good actress, but she is so gorgeous that even *I* enjoyed her dancing scenes. And I'm a straight girl. :shifty:

I can't wait to see this movie. I am a huge fan of Frank Miller and was a comic book geek. Looks to be purist comic book adaptation ever. Hopefully, it translates well to film, does well at the box office and shows hollywood that they should just film the book instead of screwing around with the characters to end up with crappy movies like Catwoman, Elektra, Daredevil, Punisher, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, etc.

Oops, fanboy in me coming out there. Skulks away.

I loved this movie! Mickey Rourke was excellent! It was very violent, but not gory at all, at least I didn't think so. The only weak spots in the movie in my opinion was the weak effort to make the 3 stories jive with each other.

9/10

fucking weak. stylistically it's interesting for the first 10 minutes, after that the movie just continually drags. it's slavishly faithful to the original comics, literally adapting the action panel-for-panel and practically lifting the dialogue directly. while the comic works well, it does not translate at all onto film. you're better off just reading the comics.

Yeah, that jiving thing is overrated. Actually, in the books, the stories only overlap in the bar where Nancy dances, it is like the central hub where the characters pass through.. And Marv and Dwight know each other. The central connector is that they all happen in Sin City and ,in this case, occur all the same night.

Damn, fanboy again.:eyebrow:

it's a good film
it was very strange to see John Paul II and Condoleezza Rice in one picture
good one from hollywood , unexpected

Back
Top Bottom