'Sin City'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ :confused:

anyway, just got back from seeing this (finally!) and i really enjoyed it.

i loved mickey rourke's character, and elijah wood and benicio del toro were flat out creepy.

yeah, it was violent, but it was so stylized that it didn't really bother me. except for that scene at the end with the yellow bastard :yikes:

and miho rocks! :drool:

bollox said:
while the comic works well, it does not translate at all onto film. you're better off just reading the comics.

That is usually the case, but I would argue that this movie is the exception.

Purists aside, the film hits its mark. The allegory of the priest and the politician being the most corrupt folk in a sea of vices, weapons, and ruthless figures resonates without the red, yellow, and cyan screenings.

Stylistically the graphic novel aesthetic flows through the whole movie, and the four stories (if you count the two minutes of Josh Hartnett) mesh well. If all you pay attention to is the flash and the surface, you're probably not going to enjoy this movie much. I have not read the graphic novels, so I cannot speculate as to how fully realized Frank Miller's vision was on film. But as a reader of comic books and graphic novels in my earlier years, I know how disappointing adaptations can be... in reference to the farces of past, this movie is a shining star (and not Gabriel Byrne's flop Cool World).

It was awesome. My response for all those who go (or have gone already) into the theatre with a mental notepad looking for continuity errors and deviations from Miller's all holy principle text... you're missing out on the spirit of the movie. Have some fun damnit.

:sexywink:

Last edited:
i just watched this again the other day, and I still think it's a friggin great movie.

Some people took issue with the acting. Mickey Rourke is perfect as Marv. And I think Michael Madsen and Brittany Murphy played their roles with a just a bit of camp, and I'm pretty sure it was intenetional. A nod to the cop shows from the 50s and 60s.

Can't wait for the sequel.

i thought Brittany Murhpy was excellent.

btw it's not a 'sequel' per se, it's actually a 'Part 2,' like how Kill Bill was split into 2 parts but was actually one full film.

Back
Top Bottom