Simple Minds Black & White 050505

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davroswildebees

Babyface
Just got the new simple minds LP... and what an amazing return to form.Some great stand out tracks include 'stay visible' (sounds like something off sparkle in the rain), 'stranger' (very catchy anthemic pop tune that could be a shock hit single), 'underneath the ice' (an electro ballad that sounds better with every listen) and 'dolphin' (the closing track beautiful and minimal in equal amounts) . Been a while since they done anything this good. As u2 already proved.. there is life in the old dogs yet !!

This will go in Bang n Clatter shortly i'm sure, where it will get more replies. I havent listened to it myself yet, but here's an interesting review from someone on Amazon...

'If you can tolerate the U2 vibe (on the opening track 'Stay Visible', and it has to be said throughout the album) you also have to pinch yourself to remember that Simple Minds were stadium fillers in the eighties in their own right. U2 have also had their fair share of iffy albums but managed to maintain their profile, and I suggest that 'B&W' may be Simple Mind's 'Atom Bomb'.

Noticed they have some shows upcoming, so I checked out the new website (I had it bookmarked, but it was under construction for a while) the new single is very promising. I have always liked them, even started to introduce some younger friends to Simple minds, who missed them the first time around...

I'm glad they didn't jump on the 80s revival bandwagon, but stayed true to themselves and just make a good album (if the reviews are correct) I'm looking for to getting 050505.

Does anyone know, what the title refers to?

I read somewhere that they couldn't think of title so someone just through the curret date (at the time) on the end of the working title of Black and White.

thnx beli

Well that date is pretty obvious, but I wasn't sure how it was significant for them, the title also looks like a vague reference to New Gold Dream (81,82,83,84)

i heard somewhere that while they were recording the album or something like that... they were discussing what they should name the album .. and while this was happening, someone called out "hey, the date is 5/5/05" as in.. what an odd number combo.. (and I believe 5/5 is lead singer Jim Kerr and his ex-wife Chrissie Hynde from the Pretenders weeding anniversary date too), and they all said "hey, lets call it Black and white 050505!!" or they wrapped up recording around then... i have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom