Simple Minds Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man

Thom's Bitch
I just rediscovered this amazing band! I used to listen to them as a kid with my older brother and have downloaded a few songs again of late.

Alive and Kicking and Belfast Child are brilliant! Yes...very U2 like and Jim Kerr is very Bonoesque in his vocals but you can feel the Scottish passion in these lads!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth"
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com

Belfast Child is a great song.
They did a Mandel song that was good as well.

I've listened to them for a long time. Saw them many times. Lst time I was them was Massey Hall in Toronto years ago. It was a fabulous show.

Looking forward to seeing them again in Toronto this summer with INXS.

Achnaw Simpley Minds how har!!!!! Bono-man come slavin down towards la freaky 80's musico with a slice of wicked step-out to the Alive n' Kickin slam dunk dunky with a top of of Maddie slaverin to the down-come-the-pourin-rain Dont You Forget About Me, cryin to the weak aftershot of Belfast Child, into the armin arms of Bono-man singin and a hummin a beautiful Mandela Free fade-out beofre a hokey pokey sess-i-on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh la la!!!!!!

I sang-
" Dont YOU Forget About Me"
last night at karaeoke.
So there.
And theyre coming to my town on May 18, I think.
So there again.
smile.gif

DB9

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

Originally posted by diamond:
I sang-
" Dont YOU Forget About Me"
last night at karaeoke.

Excellent tune...I was raised on the Breakfast Club, so what can you expect? Also love Alive and Kicking but don't know any other of their songs...

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

They're still together, AND touring?!?!?!?

Awesome. I hope they come around here.

I LOVE this band. Only saw them once. '85, I think. Great show!

"Once Upon a Time" is a tremendous album.
They are indeed touring , they'll be In Boston in June. Not sure who's in the band at this time.

I didnt know they were still together either! Thats good to see, the band didnt really make the leap from the 80s to 90s like U2 did.

Maddie....what? I couldnt follow that!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth"
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com

DB9

May 18 they are scheduled in Erfurt, Germany...did you move?
biggrin.gif

From the tour schedule I saw the closest to you appears to be Reno on 6-15 at this point.

Originally posted by Hewson:

DB9

May 18 they are scheduled in Erfurt, Germany...did you move?
biggrin.gif

From the tour schedule I saw the closest to you appears to be Reno on 6-15 at this point.

June 17 Phx boss.
My goof.

DB9

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

Love the Minds...have something like 15 of their albums (1984's Sparkle In The Rain and 1989's Street Fighting Years being my favorites...incidentally I don't particularly care for Once Upon A Time, too commercial for me).

They've tailed off commercially in the US since the mid-80's (SF Years was decidedly NOT radio friendly and they haven't toured extensively in the US since 1986, apart from short stops in '91 and '95), but some of their latter-day output is quite good. I'll finally get to see them live in Chicago here on 7/1. Their website simpleminds.com is pretty cool, check it out.

An absolutely brillant, and underated band. The Church is a band that also falls into this category (brillant and underated).

Me thinks I will buy their Greates Hits CD

------------------
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com

"Sparkle In The Rain" is my fave. I have it on vinyl, but why I never got that on CD, I'll never know...
I also like "Real Life" - isn't that the name of the CD with "See The Lights" on it?

I like Simple Minds a lot. I don't seem to listen to them as much as I used to, but that could change again. Would love to see them live some time! I actually got into them when Good News from the Next World came out, because I thought She's a River sounded like U2! Some of my favourite songs by them are Up On the Catwalk, See the Lights, Belfast Child (I saw Stephen Cousins skate to that--wonderful!), She's a River, Hypnotized, Superman v. Supersoul, Glitterball, Ghostdancing, Sanctify Yourself, Mandela Day, Oh Jungleland, I Travel, 30 Frames a Second, etc etc. Wow--this makes me want to go listen to them!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by meriphew:
The Church is a band that also falls into this category (brillant and underated).

I just bought a couple of their albums. I LOVE Starfish. I always loved Under the Milky Way, but there are other great songs on that album--Destination, Hotel Womb and ESPECIALLY Reptile--what a killer song.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

does anybody else agree with this but Simple Minds could have been U2- I mean not literally, but when you compare the two bands they both had pretty similar music- charasmatic leading men, good music with good lyrics, but isnt it amazing how some fates turn out????????
wink.gif

Originally posted by OzAurora:
does anybody else agree with this but Simple Minds could have been U2- I mean not literally, but when you compare the two bands they both had pretty similar music- charasmatic leading men, good music with good lyrics, but isnt it amazing how some fates turn out????????
wink.gif

Yeah, I agree. I've always thought the friendship between the members of U2 was more significant than any other friendship between members of any other bands. It seems to provide something important that has nothing to do with the music or their respective talents, in a way. The Simple Minds lineup has shifted quite a bit, I think--Kerr and Burchill are the only two guys who have stayed constant. U2 and the Minds are similar bands in many ways but honestly I just think U2 is better, overall. Then again, I prefer their somewhat "electronic" album Neapolis--which didn't get a very wide release--to Zooropa or Pop.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

Back
Top Bottom