Simple Minds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
I was a huge Simple Minds fan back in the 80's. Saw them in 1989 or whenever it was that they toured Australia. Fabulous show although I was crushed as everyone else in GA was a 7 foot Celtic soccer player.

Last year I started to get back into Simple Minds again. Catching up a bit, and replacing some of my old vinyls with CD's, finally.

I'm serious looking forward to the new album. Simple Minds closed their website yesterday to revamp for the new album. Waiting.... waiting.... waiting..... :drool:

Any other Simple Minds fans here? What is your favourite song? What is your favourite song from the 1990's that I may have missed?

i love simple minds but i don't have a lot of their stuff. i've got once upon a time on cd and new gold dream on lp. that's it. :reject:

they are one band i should seriously buy more stuff of.

unosdostres14 said:
I've never even heard of Simple Minds :reject:

Oh my gawd, please tell me you are 16 years old?

Back in the dark ages, probably before you were born, Simple Minds and U2 were equals, contemporaries. Simple Minds are from Scotland, and are very very good. Simple Minds were famous for the "big stadium sound" before U2. (actually City of Blinding Lights reminds me a lot of Simple Minds)

My favourites:

* Someone, Somewhere in Summertime
* Belfast Child
* Big Sleep
* Love Song
* See the Lights

Last edited:
I haven't listened to them in ages. Just threw a couple in my CD player so I can refresh my memory. Now playing: The American :yes: (previous song was: Love Song)

Hey Beli

Love the band (OMG are we dating ourselves :ohmy:), new album, wow fantastic. :cool:
I met a few members in London in the early 90’s, nice guys.

Favorite songs

Alive And Kicking
Sanctify Yourself
Love Song

and I did seem them sometime in the mid 80s - I think it was at the Palladium in Hollywood. Had to be around the time of "Don't You Forget About Me", and I can't remember if it was post Chrissie Hynde period or not... My memory is a little foggy on that one :huh:

18 November 1989 I saw Simple Minds live. Street Fighting Years tour. :up:

DownUnder, loll, yep it an admission of a person of a certain age but who cares. I am Woman hear me roarrrrrrrrrr!

DeadMansParty said:

Im just trying the easy way for someone to know who they are.

loll. Fair enough. But if the person is old enough to remember the Breakfast Club they would be old enough to remember Simple Minds big hits, not that song. Or is that the Simple Minds biggest hit in the USA? Please say no. :mad:

beli said:

loll. Fair enough. But if the person is old enough to remember the Breakfast Club they would be old enough to remember Simple Minds big hits, not that song. Or is that the Simple Minds biggest hit in the USA? Please say no. :mad:

dude, like I said, I was just showing the easiest way to remember them.

DeadMansParty said:

dude, like I said, I was just showing the easiest way to remember them.

Im not following you. So are you saying that song was a big hit in the USA? That song is what they are most famous for over there?

I'm not from the USA so I have no idea how popular Simple Minds are in the USA.

beli said:

Im not following you. So are you saying that song was a big hit in the USA? That song is what they are most famous for over there?

I'm not from the USA so I have no idea how popular Simple Minds are in the USA.

They had a few hits over here, although that may well have been their biggest (The Breakfast Club was very popular here). I remember "Alive And Kicking" more myself.

I liked what I heard from Simple Minds, but don't think I ever got around to buying any of their albums.

Minds

I am a big Minds fan. I used to like them as much as U2. But Jim Kerr seems to love over-production - I think it killed the band in the end. They have had a fascinating career, from derivative obscurity, truly strange experimentalism, electro-pop, New Romanticism, stadium rock and back to near-obscurity. I would love to get in touch with any other Minds fans out there. Their new stuff is interesting, but sometimes ill-judged, and they can't seem to find a happy medium between their experimental and commercial instincts. Their career was the opposite to U2 - they made their experimental stuff in the beginning and graduated to stadium rock!!

I hear from my UK friends (I am a Brit currently living in Japan) that the Minds are currently becoming a big live draw so...maybe their comeback is due

tygerjp@yahoo.co.uk

So they're still alive and kicking? :D :wink:
I saw them in concert three years ago, however they came on stage after Iggy Pop and it was really hard to beat Iggy or maybe I was too drunk by that time...:huh: :D

I bought New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) a few weeks ago. Fab album. :up: Although not very summer-y. Then again, with the shitty weather we have today... :hmm:

Even though I only bought my first Simple Minds album a few weeks ago, I do know them since Don't You Forget About Me/Alive And Kicking. Belfast Child is a great song too. And I always like the over-the-top-ness of She's A River.

:up:

I used to be a very big SM fan and saw them about 6 times live,5 times at the NEC(where i touched Jim Kerrs microphone!!)and one at the Milton Keynes bowl(sp?)...always at the front!!!
Dont listen to them at all now and i think their music has not at all aged well,sounds kinda crap to me now:(
happy days tho':|

Down Under said:
Hey Beli

Love the band (OMG are we dating ourselves :ohmy:), new album, wow fantastic. :cool:
I met a few members in London in the early 90’s, nice guys.

Favorite songs

Alive And Kicking
Sanctify Yourself
Love Song

Simple Minds have finished recording the album. I have no idea when it will be released though. This year :hyper:

beli said:

hello everyone, quite new to this brilliant site.
I am a big Simple Minds fan and saw them last year at Blickling Hall in Norwich (to which they played to 15,000 people, and in 2002 at The Royal Albert Hall, they were superb!! They have just signed a record deal with Sanctuary records and have a single out in August, followed by a new album in September. The album is produced by themselves and Jez Coad?? and the album has just been mixed by Bob Clearmountain, so i think it will be a return to form!!
Simple Minds have finished recording the album. I have no idea when it will be released though. This year :hyper:

Hey Beli, great thread!!!! :up:

I can't believe Simple Minds (or what's left of them) are still around. I was a HUGE fan in the 80's and saw them around 86, 87 at the Thebby (the pogoing during "Waterfront"!!!!!) I bought and loved all their albums till "Once Upon a time", tho' "Belfast Child" was a return of sorts.

I kinda thought Simple Minds had promise which went nowhere after Jim Kerr became too dictatorial and "got rid" of those band members who interfered with his vision of world domination. Discuss. :wink:

My favourites:
Love Song
Theme for Great Cities
The American
I travel
New Gold Dream (81,82,83,84)
Up on the Catwalk
Waterfront
:drool:

blueeyedgirl said:

I kinda thought Simple Minds had promise which went nowhere after Jim Kerr became too dictatorial and "got rid" of those band members who interfered with his vision of world domination. Discuss.

loll. You may well be right but this album feels good. I haven't heard a note of it but its giving good vibes.

Hello Beli. They had a new album out in 2002 which was called Cry, good album but didn't do to well in the British charts due to lack of promotion. They have got 3 original members for this album, Jim Kerr, Charlie Burchill and the brilliant Mel Gaynor on drums. Aparrently the people who have heard the album rekon it is a brilliant album and a return to form which could propell them back to the top. Simple minds have a 5 albums go straight to no 1 in the U.K. charts and have sold over 30 million records.

Back
Top Bottom