Simple Minds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Minds

Who is Jez Coad??
I hated Cry the first time I heard it, but it grew on me. They are a great band, and they recently released a box set called Silver Box, which contains lots of early demos and live stuff, and an unreleased LP called Our Secrets are the Same. There is a live track with Bono too (New Gold Dream).
I recommend Empires and Dance, Sons and Fascination, New Gold Dream and Street Fighting Years especially.

unosdostres14 said:

Heh.....you got it. I guess that's a good thing....

Seriously? Are you 16 years old? loll. I actually thought you were a bit older.

You are forgiven for never having heard of Simple Minds. You'll get there, in time. :up:

Someone Somewhere in Summertime :drool:

You made me drag back out the old stuff again, I LOVE Simple Minds! Got to get out and get the new one soon. Have heard that it is pretty good. I am really fond of 'Glittering Prize' good mix of all the awesome hits!

egyptluvr said:
Someone Somewhere in Summertime :drool:

You made me drag back out the old stuff again, I LOVE Simple Minds! Got to get out and get the new one soon. Have heard that it is pretty good. I am really fond of 'Glittering Prize' good mix of all the awesome hits!

Good call Egyptluvr:drool: also 'up on the catwalk' and 'see the lights':drool: :drool:

Oh my god, how to bring back memories. Saw Simple Minds a few times at the Edinburgh Playhouse back in the 80's.

Fave live track is I Travel, wonderous.

I only know a select few songs from Simple Minds. Definitely remember hearing "Don't You Forget About Me" when I was younger. That's about the only song almost everyone I've come across knows by them here in the U.S. As pointed out, they did have a few other songs make the charts, yeah, but I haven't met too many people who know any of their other ones, it's just "Don't You Forget About Me" that they know. And for the longest time, that was the only song I knew by them, too.

But thanks to new wave channels/radio stations, and VH1 Classic, I got introduced to some of Simple Minds' other songs, like "Alive And Kicking" and "Someone Somewhere In Summertime" and "All The Things She Said" and "Up On The Catwalk" and stuff like that. They're not bad songs at all. I like the piano solo in "Alive And Kicking" :).

Also, am I crazy, or does Jim Kerr remind anyone else of Martin Short? Every time I see him, that's who comes to mind :huh:.

Angela

Hey Beli,

I'm on the SM board as well.

Love the group. I had an intense obsession with them, epspecially when I was in my late teens (in the mid 90's).

New Gold Dream is one of my favourite albums of all time, and the title track drives me wild! :hyper:

Hypnotised is my fave 90's SM song.

Have you seen the double dvd release which includes Verona? Great stuff! :applaud:

ravenette said:
Have you seen the double dvd release which includes Verona? Great stuff! :applaud:

I just ordered it. Literally, just then. I was also trying to find Cry. But its not on sanity.com.au. Have you bought it? If so, where, please?

Are you Ravenette at the other place? or a different username?

beli

beli said:

I just ordered it. Literally, just then. I was also trying to find Cry. But its not on sanity.com.au. Have you bought it? If so, where, please?

Are you Ravenette at the other place? or a different username?

beli

I'm "ravengirl" on the SM board. I don't post there a lot though. (About once a month!)

I haven't got Cry, I've only got their albums up to Good News from the Next World. :slant:

Have you tried HMV Beli? They would definitely be able to order it in, no probs!

Jealous to those of you who get to see the Minds this year, their new album is getting positive write-ups and the live act is always good, of course.

For the record, fav Minds albums:

1. Sparkle in the Rain (1984)
2. Street Fighting Years (1989)
3. New Gold Dream (1983)

Favorite Songs

1. See The Lights
2. Up On The Catwalk
3. Street Fighting Years
4. Soul Crying Out
5. Someone Somewhere In Summertime
6. I Travel
7. Theme for Great Cities
8. East at Easter
9. Speed Your Love to Me
10. Banging On The Door
11. New Gold Dream
12. Hypnotized

Plenty of others that really should have a spot, too...

I would be going if they were coming back to the U.S. I was lucky enough to catch them a couple times the last time they came here in 2002. Got to meet Jim and Charlie also then. Really nice down to earth guys. Sadly, I dont think we will see them in N. America any time soon. :(

One of my other favorite bands though.

MrBrau1 said:
Belfast Child :drool:

Is a saccharine piece of shit.

(Although actually being a Belfast child towards the end of the troubles official, i.e. late eighties/ early nineties, who'd ever have thought the song would rile me up so much.)

Other than that one song I thoroughly condone Simple Minds and their various albums. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom