Simon Cowell: friend or foe? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:45 PM
I don't care if he rags on people for lack of talent, but I read somewhere that in the first season he told one of the contestants she would never make it in music because she was too heavy. I've never seen the show so I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is he's a scumbag.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:13 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:45 PM
I'm not comfortable with what he says to the heavier girls as well, but you know what? He's right.

Heavier men could make it in the music industry, but a heavier woman? Nope. It's awful, but true. I don't expect that double-standard to change any time soon, sad as it is.

Edited to add:

There are always exceptions, of course. Frenchie Davis was heavier, but she had the talent to make it that far. Most of the heavier girls on Idol don't make it that far because, frankly, they're not that good, like most of the others you see during the audition process.

That's not to say a heavier woman couldn't have a singing career ... but if you want a career in the kind of music they're pimping on American Idol ... not going to happen.

Pop music is all about image, and being overweight seems to be the last "acceptable" way to discriminate.

Old 09-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #18
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 07:45 AM
I honestly don't want to see a fat person on my TV. Cowell is right. The only way ugly/fat people can make it is if they have exceptional talent. Thats the way it is, and the way I like it.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:09 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:45 AM
It's be much nicer if people could only make it with exceptional talent, but then we'd leave out the entire braindead section of the community who lap this constipated garbage right up.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

I enjoy it for its entertainment value and am not braindead, thankyouverymuch.

But to be fair, I understand that it's crap. I like TV and have a high tolerance for garbage, though.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Simon -
Old 09-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:45 PM
I respect Simon because he tells it as it is. He doesn't sugarcoat anything, you know he's going to be honest with you.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:48 PM   #23
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I enjoy it for its entertainment value and am not braindead, thankyouverymuch.

But to be fair, I understand that it's crap. I like TV and have a high tolerance for garbage, though.
I see absolutely no entertainment value in everyday people pretending to be something exceptional, but that is where taste is subjective. That is not my beef. My beef is, and the comment about being braindead, was directed to whatever portion of viewers treat these shows as something terribly important - the kind who spend a great deal of money voting for whomever on expensive text messages or electronic voting, who scour the websites of these shows, who attend performances, who form fan clubs or join fan clubs, those who study these very ordinary people and performers as though they are something of extreme interest. We're not all interested in greek mythology as a hobby, but to live in a plastic bubble I do think is braindead and I stand by that. I'm going to guess you are not one of these types of viewers and whether you are or not, is not the point. I wasn't addressing anyone on here specifically, so I do hope you weren't offended. But if you are one of those who are utterly obssessed, then yeah I'm going to stand by it and think you probably need help
Old 09-05-2005, 05:04 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Nah, I wasn't offended. I do have a bit of shame for liking a few cheesy reality shows, like this one.

I'm proud to say, however, that I don't bother with anything surrounding them other than watching them and then yakking about them on the internet.