Silly things you did growing up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ Haha :lol: yes the casette recordings of a bunch of kids just being dorky, singing etc., just leaving the recorder on during sleepovers, or doing "interviews", the tape recorder was endless hours of fun. I still have some from 30 and 35 years ago. We also did elaborate plays which mostly included making very detailed background murals.

And riding down the basement stairs on a futon and smacking into the brick wall at the bottom was always fun! :happy:

Oh yeah! Making homemade haunted houses at Halloween! The scariest thing we could come up with was a bowl of pasta to stick your victims hand in and tell them it was brains :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh yeah we used to record crazy random stuff too. We had a mono tape recorder at the time and I would press record without other people in the room even knowing. :drool:

Also... I remember playing the Edge in a Numb re-enactment at home. :lol:

Reminds me of what my brother and I did with this fancy tape recorder thing I had. This must've been about 1996, because that's when both Evita and William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet came out, and we had the soundtracks of both.
Near the end of Evita there's this big argumentative duet between Eva and Che, played by Madonna and Antonio Banderas, so we rerecorded it (by holding the recorder up the the CD player!), constantly flicking the effects switch so that we slowed Madonna's voice to the point of being super deep, and sped up Antonio's so it was high. That was so fun :lol:

And since we had the vol. 2 soundtrack for R&J, which was basically the score + bits of dialogue, we played with that too. For some reason we recorded Claire Danes' epic sob (no actress is better at sobbing than she is) at the end of the movie over and over again all in a row, so we had like a 2 minute loop of that sob.

~I turned my closet into a "recording studio", and I would record my own radio shows with the microphone on my boom box.

~I made a family newspaper...so I was basically telling everybody in the house things about themselves that they already knew.

~I loved earthworms. When my mom would garden, she would set aside the worms for me. I'd gather them up and take them to my sandbox to build them a town.

~I used to ride my bike around the neighborhood to pick up caterpillars that were in the road. I'd put them in my bike basket and take them home and release them in the yard.

~I used to look for turtles in the road too so I could move them off to the side (if you haven't figured it out by now, I grew up in the country :wink: ). If there was no good spot nearby, I'd put them in my bike basket so I could take them to one.

~On hot summer days, the little patches of tar on the roads would bubble up. We'd take pointy rocks and pop the bubbles.

~I wanted to get my My Little Pony bubblegum machine, but it was on top of my TV...which was on top of my dresser. I pulled out my bottom dresser drawer to stand on it, and started jumping up and down to try to reach the gumball machine. The dresser fell on my body, the TV hit my head...and my gumball machine broke. :mad: :lol:

heeheeheee......

I've done so many stupid things as a kid but the one that takes the cake is this one:

I was in grade 3 in Canada and during French class (which I hated...) I was acting rather rudely and disrupting the class. The teacher finally send me out of the class and before I left I made one last gesture of contempt - I stuck my tongue in the crack between the door and the hinge.......along came the teacher and.........well, do I REALLY need to say more?

Suffice it to say that I had a little trouble TALKING for a few months after that day;......

:coocoo: :reject: :yuck:

TripThruUreWires said:

*I would often pretend that I was dead by lying completely still on the ground, halting my breathing for as long as possible, just to see my Mom overreact each and every time.

I remember one time I put drops of water on my face to look like tears and then pretended to trip down the hall. My family didn't think it was so funny though...I thought it was a good prank.

Bonochick said:

~I loved earthworms. When my mom would garden, she would set aside the worms for me. I'd gather them up and take them to my sandbox to build them a town.

~I used to ride my bike around the neighborhood to pick up caterpillars that were in the road. I'd put them in my bike basket and take them home and release them in the yard.

~I used to look for turtles in the road too so I could move them off to the side (if you haven't figured it out by now, I grew up in the country :wink: ). If there was no good spot nearby, I'd put them in my bike basket so I could take them to one.

~On hot summer days, the little patches of tar on the roads would bubble up. We'd take pointy rocks and pop the bubbles.

Well, she said them all for me!! :lol:

kafrun said:
My friends and I had a strange habit of getting really silly and recording ourselves :blahblah: on blank tapes. I have no clue what we were going on about or what we were thinking, but they were really ridiculous :eeklaugh: I'm pretty sure I destroyed all the evidence............. :uhoh:

That sounds so similar to something I did as a kid! Actually, it was with the assistance of my older cousins. We recorded a radio show for our network, KNS (Kip, Nicole, Shelly). We did local weather, traffic reports, and I think a few select interviews with family members cooking things in the kitchen. Not sure where the tapes are these days...I'd actually love to have them! Sometimes, I get nostalgic about family stuff, even if it's insanely horrible family stuff. :wink:

Other things I've done as a kid? Too numerous to mention! I was always a bit of a klutz (and still am, to this day). Probably the worst thing was sticking my tongue on a frozen set of monkey bars in the neighbourhood playground. :(

Zootlesque said:

- I used to make up my own Top 20 countdowns every week, with full stats like how many positions the song moved up or down, new entries etc. :reject: x forever.

HAHAHA! WEIRDO! :coocoo:

:shifty:

I can't find my lists. I went looking one day, but came up empty. Sucks.

:shh: I used to tape things straight from TV too - not just music, but good lines from movies. TV show theme songs.

My friends and I also use to tape ourselves when we were "altered". Every now and then I listen to them and whoamygod they're frightening. I haven't listened in years. I think I'm due.

I used to take things apart, but never put them back together, cause I didn't pay attention to what I was taking from where. So I had radio parts and telephone parts strewn about. I would then use them to construct a spaceship console.

I used to spend the ehilw night setting up my GI Joe's (or whatever I was playing with at the time) in these elaborate scenes, like th ebig battle was about to go down. But by the time I would finish the prep work, I'd be bored and never make the scene happen.

I also used to make my GI Joe's play in basketball or football games. They could do the dopest moves, too.

TripThruUreWires said:

*At my sister's basketball games, at half time, I used to run down the bleachers, on to the court and pull my pants down.

:lmao:

Last edited:
:wink: ohmygosh! I did the playing cards on the bike spokes to make them do that 'flap,flap' when i rode! Also, my friends and i used to put on 'concerts' to records we love (, complete w/ costumes,and a stage, even refreshments!) like 'The Supremes' 'Baby, where did Our love Go', etc..! It was pretty neat, cuz all our parents came and our families and neighbors on the block! We played all kind of games w/ neighborhood kids like 'Dodge Ball', cowboys N Indians(I know, Not PC! OH well:wink: !)softball, rubber band guns! That was fun, but hurt sometimes! hee...lol! Oh , what kids think is fun, lol @ all those of you that grew up with stairs!! And, Bonochick and all her animal rescue!! hee....You Go Girl! hee:yes: :giggle:

I used to edit interviews with musicians on the radio and then ask my own questions with them answering

me: and what would you say if you met me?

musician: i love *edit out some word* YOU

me: oh you are so sweeeet, i love you too

musician: yes! best day of my life so far

me: me too!

musician: i really want to go over to america, see the sites, do a few performances. Do you *edit* come over?

me: omg yes!

and so on....

my mother still has then, and one HORRENDOUS one between me and Bono got played at my 21st. curse that tape recorder!

My sister and I would play "family", we would be the parents, her dolls would be the kids. :rolleyes:

I refused to get into anything messy, still don't like messy things.

I ran into a wall, while playing tag in my friend's house. Ouch, got a scar because of that.

When I was 2, I slept walked downstairs, somehow got the keys to the car, and my parents found me, in the garage, trying to start the car.

I made the tv fall on-top of my sister, I ran upstairs to my room, terrified that we would never beable to watch tv again, I was 6, she was 2.

I pushed my mom off of my bed when I was little, for fun, and laughed.

I Dented my head because I fell off a chair, onto the phone holder.

We had a Shetland pony that I had recently outgrown and wasn't supposed to ride anymore, but one day when my mum was gone the farrier came to trim the horses' hooves and I decided I was gonna ride that pony. So despite my older brother and sister telling me not to, I crawled up on the pony and started off. Well the pony decided she didn't really want to be ridden, so she dashed through this very narrow gate. I caught a gatepost with each kneecap and was neatly and quickly removed from the pony and deposited onto my ass in the dirt.

My siblings were yelling that they were gonna tell mum and I was screaming at them that they better not. I'm guessing the farrier was laughing his head off. My sibs never did tell mum, but the farrier did. :grumpy: :lol:

My older sister use to make me play some kinda tea game with her. She would set up the little tables and stuff and I had to sit there while she served the tea and whatever. I was probably 5 or so. She says I was a great play-mate. I think I was kinda like her Chatty Cathy talking doll with the pull string voice, only better. :) There may even be family movies of this :ohmy:

When I was 2 or 3, I use to run to the deepend of the neighbor's pool and try to jump in even though I couldn't swim.The folks had to keep a close eye. I think there's super 8 movie proof of this one too. :wink:

Around 6 or 7, I use to play army guy with my friend at his house. We'd choose the girl in school we liked, and then had to protect them from evil doers. We had the rifles and stuff, doing incredible somersaults and stunts while we saved the women. :lol: I always chose C.C., because she was my secret crush through elementary school. :wink: After saving them, we went back to the rumpus room so the imaginary girls could do some pretend kissing with their heroes. That was my favorite part. :drool:

When I was a kid, there really wasn't any preschool. On my first day of kindergarten (I was still 4), I cried and cried. At the first recess, I left school and walked home alone. It wasn't that close. :ohmy: Things were a bit different then. When I got home, my mom asked what I was doing there. I told her "I wasn't going back to that place ever again". :lol:

^ :ohmy: On my 1st day of kindergarten I also walked out. I wanted nothing to do with that nonsense. I had no idea how to get home at the time so I sat outside on the curb at the street. The principal and different teachers tried to get me to come back in but I ignored them all. I also said I'd never go back LOL.
:reject: I also remember getting in a knock down drag out fight with another girl in kindergarten.

^ and when I was in elementary school my initials were C.C. :flirt:

:lol:

what I am about to say may shock you.

but, when I was 8 or 9 (I think), I used to use a garden brush as a horse. yes, and even better, I used to carry this garden brush down to the beach, casually past people, get to an isolated area, and proceed to pretend I was galloping along.

:ohmy:

yes, ...................I know! :wink:

The first time my parents left my sister, myself & my little brother home without babysitter, we decided to make popcorn. No microwaves then, had to use a big pot and high flame. We let little bro do the shaking at one point and his flannel pajamas caught fire :yikes: Luckily, we were right there and put it out fast. :ohmy:

The parents never found out :) As a matter of fact, they never found out about any of the crazy parties and things that went on when they were out :drunk: :shame: The sibling alliance was impenetrable to the evil empire :lol:

bonocomet said:
[B

^ and when I was in elementary school my initials were C.C. :flirt:

:lol: [/B]

:hmm: I think I'll give that game another try :wink:

When we were little, my sister, brother and I decided one day that it would be really fun to squirt juice from pomegranate seeds onto the living room wall. And we had wallpaper, not painted walls, :) Our Mum gave us absolute hell when she caught us in the act.

i used to have an imaginary school and i was the teacher

I used to make everyone at home sit in chairs out the back in a line and make them play buses with me

AH! The sleeping bag down the stairs!!!! I LUV it!!
i didn't record stuff from TV but I'd make mixed tapes recording from the radio, usually including the DJ introducing the song or talking over the ending.

I used to put on records of musicals and act them out. I'd be all the parts.

I'd also put on The Beatles and stand on the raised part of the fireplace and pretend to be John or Paul (never George or Ringo)

My brothers and I would put on "magic" shows for our parents' friends.

My husband used to play "KISS" (the band) with his three friends. He was the youngest and therefore had to be Ace Frehley(sp?). To this day he credits playing "Kiss" with his mad hot drumming skills!

My brother & I used to try to hold each other down while punching each other in the thigh. The object was to 'frog' the other's leg until they could hardly stand up!

Another favorite activity could only be done right after summer vacation started. We'd take our old notebooks from the year that just ended and set up in opposite corners of my room. We'd ball up equal numbers of pages from our notebooks - this was our ammunition. When everything was ready, I'd turn the ceiling fan in my room on its highest speed & then we'd proceed to throw one or two paper balls at a time into the blades. For everyone that got slung into your sibling, you'd get a point. Most points when we ran out of paper won. My brother & I thought it was hilarious & pretty harmless, but our parents never seemed to share in our enthusiasm. :confused: :laugh:

We'd also dig holes in the garden & use the extra dirt to build 'mountains'. Then we'd sit across from each other & dig tunnels two fingers wide, until we met in the middle. We'd run his Matchbox cars through the tunnels & around the mountain until there was a cave-in. (It was actally a 'stomp-in', a la Godzilla.) Based on which cars we'd called dibs on before the disaster, we'd then dig through the wreckage until we rescued all our vehicles. First 'rescuer' to find all their cars won.

Obviously, we were (and still are!) easily amused. :wink:

Since this is Halloween time I will admit this, but please dont think Im gonna turn out a serial killer. Ive been into horror movies since I was very young, I used to sneak out of my room to watch Elvira Misstress of the dark's black n white horror movie show, but when I was a kid, I used to go into my Grandparents backyard and build dead bodies and I would put scary masks on them. I would go get her huge Aloe plants and cut them up and make them look like guts and take fake blood and pretend to do an autopsy on them. Now that you all think Im nuts haha. I promise, no dead people burried in my backyard, hehe.

DeadMansParty said:
Since this is Halloween time I will admit this, but please dont think Im gonna turn out a serial killer. Ive been into horror movies since I was very young, I used to sneak out of my room to watch Elvira Misstress of the dark's black n white horror movie show, but when I was a kid, I used to go into my Grandparents backyard and build dead bodies and I would put scary masks on them. I would go get her huge Aloe plants and cut them up and make them look like guts and take fake blood and pretend to do an autopsy on them. Now that you all think Im nuts haha. I promise, no dead people burried in my backyard, hehe.

suuuuuuurre *zuropa takes a step back*
Just kidding:wink:

When I was 7, I used to cut out cardboard in the shape of 45s, colour them, and pretend that they were actual singles of my music. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom