silly question from an American about England in the World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaAnn

ONE love, blood, life
This may be an incredibly dumb question, but I'll put it out there anyway.

Why is England's flan in the World Cup white with the red cross?
eng.gif

Why not the Union Jack?

Sorry .. a question from a silly American who has really been puzzled by this?

That's rather like asking why Americans in the Olympics have a flag that has stars and stripes on it. The reason is because that is their flag.

The Union Jack is a BRITISH flag... not the English one. England amazingly enough have their own flag. The Union Jack is made up of the Welsh, England, Scottish and (Northern) Irish flags combined.

And the rest of the world thinks Americans are arrogant. Sheesh.

Where there teams at the World Cup from Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland? If so, how did they do?

bullet the blue sky said:
That's rather like asking why Americans in the Olympics have a flag that has stars and stripes on it. The reason is because that is their flag.

The Union Jack is a BRITISH flag... not the English one. England amazingly enough have their own flag. The Union Jack is made up of the Welsh, England, Scottish and (Northern) Irish flags combined.

Thanks ...

And I do believe I heard English fans singing "Rule Britannia" at the England-Argentina game.

madonna's child said:
Where there teams at the World Cup from Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland? If so, how did they do?

The teams all have to qualify for the World Cup beforehand. Scotland were eliminated at the expense of Croatia and Belgium, Wales lost out eventually to Poland and Northern Ireland missed out because Denmark went through.

Yes they have, wales I think at least once in 1958, and northern ireland in 1958 too (all 4 brit asociations qualified for the 1958 tournament in Sweden) and I believe that also in 1982 and 1986, they have never acomplished much, the best has been the english that won at home in 1966 under "very particular" circunstances.
Why 4 asociations?
mostly by historical reasons.
They first four asociations where the english, scotish welch, and irish ones.
When FIFA was formed in 1904 by some european continental asociations, the brits declined the invitation, (speaking of arrogance) so the 4 asociations mantained their separate status over the years. When they joined FIFA after the WWII that remained.
If its good or not, proper or convenient, is hard to say.

Last edited:
Mexico have never won the World Cup despite hosting it twice.

I just thought I'd like to make that point :)

And Northern Ireland have never accomplished much in the World Cup. Such as beating hosts Spain in 1982. That was pretty poor going.

Wales reached the quarter-finals in 1958, which equals Mexico's best run in the tournament.

Hopefully Mexico will reach the semi-finals this time around... mainly because in doing so, they will have to beat the USA and then Germany.

Back
Top Bottom