Sigur Ros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys...

I think I'm turning into a Sigur Ros fan, slowly but surely. :reject: It all started after a focused listen through Agaetis Byrjun the other day. I don't own anything else by them though. I've always found ( ) to be bloated and overwrought, but I really like the melodies on Agaetis Byrjun, and also Gobbledigook. Perhaps Takk would be a better album to check out.

Mel, get Takk, it's my favourite of theirs, the new one Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust, is also really good.... ( ) is my least favourite album...

Last night was awesome. Really, really good show.

My "seats" and I use that term lightly, were terrible... I was way up in the back left corner of the venue and could only see the left side of the stage so I could see the drummer (who was wearing a crown :drool: ) and the bassist (who looked like he was Amish :up: ) - occasionally, depending on how I stretched I could see Jonsi... The worst part was that these seats were apparently designed for a long extinct race of tiny people so I was in quite a bit of pain for the rest of the evening... Note to self: Never see anything at Massey Hall again unless you are on the floor up front. :angry:

Concert wise, they were phenomenal, I have no earthly clue what the setlist was although I'm pretty sure they played Glósóli, Hopp?polla, Sæglópur, Gong, Heysátan, Inn? Mér Syngur Vitleysingur, Við Spilum Endalaust, Festival, Íllgresi, Fljótav?k, and Gobbledigook to close.

There were others as well, the setlist felt short which was sort of disappointing but on the other hand it was ok because I couldn't take sitting in my "seat" for much longer - I have never been happier to stand for an encore before! :lol:

Damn, that sucks about the seats. I hope they were cheap. But I'm glad you enjoyed it as best you could. Were they looouuud?

Where the hell is melon? I thought he was supposed to be at that show. I demand his review. :grumpy: It's all his fault I have this obsession.

That does suck about the seats, Elfa. This was your setlist, by the way.

Heysatan
Glosoli
Ny batteri
Vid Spilum Endalaust
Hoppipolla
Med blodnasir
Festival
Fljotavik
E-bow
Inni
Saeglopur
Popplagid

Illgresi
Gobbledigook

I can't believe they opened with Heysatan, they'd been opening with Svefn-G-Englar at the other shows this tour, looks like they replaced it with E-Bow (otherwise known as Untitled 6) for your show. Pretty neat.

This is the smallest setlist of this leg of the tour so far, but only by one song. The other sets have been 15 tracks, the first show was 16. Even with 14 songs, that should at least come out to 70 to 80 mins worth of music. Pretty much what I'd expect, I guess. But who am I kidding, I wouldn't complain if they ran through all the albums in their entirety in one sitting!

You're right. I just found the setlist for the show I saw in 2006 - 14 songs - and it didn't seem short at all, even though I could have sat there and listened to them play their entire catalog.

Here's my setlist from almost 3 years ago :cool:

1. Takk...
2. Glósóli
3. Ný Batter�
4. Sæglópur
5. Njósnavélin
6. E-bow
7. Gong
8. Andvari
9. Hopp�polla
10. Með Blóðnasir
11. Olsen Olsen
12. Svo Hljótt
13. Heysátan
14. Popplagið

+Wow, they haven't played Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása at all on this tour. Please to play for me, thank you.

+ETA: never, mind, I was looking at the wrong dates. mofo, where is the current setlist page?

Last edited:

Glosoli
Ny batteri
Vid Spilum Endalaust
Hoppipolla
Festival
Saeglopur
Popplagið

If I hear most of these, I will be very very happy. Open with Glosoli, and end with Popplagið, the way God intended.

Heysatan
Glosoli
Ny batteri
Vid Spilum Endalaust
Hoppipolla
Med blodnasir
Festival
Fljotavik
E-bow
Inni
Saeglopur
Popplagid

Illgresi
Gobbledigook

I can't believe they opened with Heysatan, they'd been opening with Svefn-G-Englar at the other shows this tour, looks like they replaced it with E-Bow (otherwise known as Untitled 6) for your show. Pretty neat.

sweet, altough I would have rather heard Svefn-G-Englar instead of E-Bow personaly...

Ny batteri is odd because I don't recall the horns being used...

The only track I don't recognize is Med blodnasir, is that off of Von?

Do any of the posters in this thread or anyone for that matter, is this tour better or worse than the 2005/06 tour?

Only fans that have seen both tours need respond.

Thx,

<>
:)

I believe Elfa is the only one of us who's seen them so far this leg (it has only been underway for a week), his comments are one page back.

I'll be seeing them on Sunday with u2popmofo. I was fortunate enough to be able to see them last time they toured so I plan on leaving impressions after the show.

OK, so I listened through Med Sud today on a whim, and I'm rather lukewarm on it. The first four tracks are awesome, all varied and thrilling in their own way. From there, only the pseudo-title track jumps out at me as great. The rest feels like stereotypically glacial Sigur Ros, minus the unusual chord progressions of Agaetis Byrjun, or the avant-garde weirdness of ( ). It's aural wallpaper, which is disappointing after that vibrant opening.

Inni Mer Syngur Vitleysingur has to be one of the coolest songs of the year.

The rest feels like stereotypically glacial Sigur Ros, minus the unusual chord progressions of Agaetis Byrjun, or the avant-garde weirdness of ( ). It's aural wallpaper, which is disappointing after that vibrant opening.

Inni Mer Syngur Vitleysingur has to be one of the coolest songs of the year.

While I agree with you about Inni, I must comment about the later half of the album. On my first one or two listens, I may have said something similar, but since then I think I actually like a lot of the album after Festival more than what's before it. Illgresi is essentially just Jonsi and a guitar, which is pretty surprising for the band, far from "stereotypical SR" in my opinion (other than it being beautiful and great :wink: ). Fljotavik is easily one of my favorite songs from the album, right up there with Inni. For the most part, this song is also just Jonsi and a piano (aside from the strings, which I'm really looking forward to see how they handle that live). The chorus moves me as much as anything Jonsi has ever sung, I think it's absolutely stunning.

To paraphrase and agree with something Joyful said when the album came out, I think some of the quiet and sparse moments on the album are actually more rewarding and impressive on repeat listens than the big bombastic moments we all usually love from the band.

OK, cool. I'll keep at it. The first half will inevitably drag me back in anyway.

First time listen, I honestly felt the same way you did. The last half of the album seemed to drag but on repeated listens songs like Ara Batur, Illgresiand, and Flojotavik became some of my best liked Sigur Ros songs. Give it some time.....there are a lot of gems on this album.

And yes, listen to more Takk!

Hey elfa, what was the merchandise like? On the last tour they had some seriously excellent merchandise. I got a handmade journal with little Sigury drawings on it, each one unique , special, and reasonably priced. I treasure it. I remember being the only person at the table and wanting everything on it. I went back 3x before I made up my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom